Where WAS Brick House...The First Eight Years

Please visit our NEW WEB SITE: http://WhereIsBrickHouse.com

20 April 2016
05 October 2015 | Malaysia, island of Borneo
19 September 2015 | Kuching/Santubong
01 July 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
23 May 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
17 April 2015 | Venu Island
01 April 2015
12 March 2015 | Tioman
01 March 2015 | Papua, Indonesia
26 February 2015 | West Shore of Papua Indonesia
21 January 2015 | Raja Ampat, Indonesia
05 January 2015 | Gam and Waigeo, Raja Ampat
31 December 2014 | Misool, Indonesia
31 December 2014 | Masool, Indonesia
24 December 2014 | Indonesia
21 October 2014 | Philippines
04 June 2014 | Davao
17 April 2014 | Pacific

Abemama

05 May 2011
We sat with George and talked about why he moved his family from Papua New Guinea to Kirabati 9 years ago…his wife is Kiribati. George has 4 girls from age 21 to 30. They are all in the process of getting advanced educations and we got to meet 3 of them. The other is away at school in Fiji. Georgina, who is his oldest, is working next door at the Adventist School to try to save money for her 3rd year of school in Fiji. The University of the South Pacific in Suva, Fiji is the center of the universe for an islanders advanced education. The youngest is studying for her exams to try to get scholarship for school next year. It’s obvious that education is a priority for his girls. He explains that he does not have a pension from anywhere, so his girls know that they must get good jobs to take care of themselves.(and maybe him too) He talks openly that education and making a good living is NOT just for boys anymore – his girls must be able to support themselves. He and his wife met in teaching school in PNG and brought their girls up there until it became too dangerous to live there anymore. He says that he enjoys going back to this simpler life, where his home can have open doors and windows, and he doesn’t have to worry about his family’s safety anymore. When you ask the girls how it compares, they say they miss the great food of PNG, but they love the open air houses and that they don’t have to lock things up and worry about their safety here.

We borrowed George’s push bike for me to ride while Patrick did his power walk. One day in one direction on the single island dirt road, the next day in the other direction. Meeting people along the way, and resting under coconut trees with snacks was a nice way to pass 2 days here and get some exercise at the same time.

Greeted along the road image 11

This is an extremely remote island. There is no central electricity or water yet the 7th Day Adventist school has a satellite dish and computers and internet. We were able to use the computers at the school one day for internet. This island for sure has been, besides Tarawa, the most technologically advanced atoll so far. The people seem to be much more affluent for the most part here, with little stores to help them make a living, and lots of copra production. We are constantly impressed by how industrious and busy these people stay throughout the day. They do their share of sleeping during the hottest part of the day, but they always seem to be working on something to advance themselves and their families. George’s wife Mary works as a teacher on the far end of the island, and seems to always be at work, as does Georgina, the daughter.

While we visit with George, he is always watching for customers at his store, and working on his pile of coconuts for harvesting copra. These people do not wait for the breadfruit and coconuts to fall of the trees, and for the SPAM supply boat to arrive like they do in the Marshalls…they are movers and shakers to say the least. And they have good family values and morals. And although not all of them can afford to provide higher education for their children, even the poorest children will tell you that education is important.

As in any society there are all levels of citizens. We met a very charming little girl, maybe 10 years old, who was very outgoing and spoke very clear English. She very soon told us that her father had been a seaman and had died in Tarawa when the motorbike she and he were riding on collided with a bus. He was killed, and she had injured her leg in the same incident. Her mother…was a “bad girl” and now “dances for the men on the fishing boats in Tarawa.” She lives with her grandparents now on Abiang and never sees her mother. So some girls apparently do go off in the wrong direction here too, as in any country. I do wonder how much influence her mother had on her though – her poses for Patrick’s camera were a little suspect, and I do wonder where she will go with it all when she gets older. I hope her grandparents give her a little more direction and she turns out to be a “good girl”.
Vessel Name: Brick House
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40 #134
Hailing Port: Middletown, RI USA
Crew: Patrick and Rebecca Childress
Extra:
Patrick completed a solo-circumnavigation on Juggernaut, a Catalina 27 in his younger days. He has been published in most U.S. and many foreign sailing magazines, for both his writing and photography. He co-authored a book titled "The Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay and the South Coast of [...]
Home Page: http://www.whereisbrickhouse.com
Social:
Brick House 's Photos - (Main)
19 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
All sorts of tropical animals and insects
No Photos
Created 5 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 17 April 2015
16 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
Underwatr
24 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
8 Photos
Created 24 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 21 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 April 2014
Captured turtle images
21 Photos
Created 3 March 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additiona Images
4 Photos
Created 18 December 2013
We decided to take the slow route, down the sidewalk..ie the Intracoastal Waterway, the ICW. We went slowly, and smelled the flowers along the way. We are with old friends of Patricks, new friends of mine...Art and Grace Ormaniec, in Manteo, North Carolina.
2 Photos
Created 26 October 2007
3 Photos
Created 10 October 2007
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2007
AT THE END, Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! And I still have my Arizona driver license!! '