Where WAS Brick House...The First Eight Years

Please visit our NEW WEB SITE: http://WhereIsBrickHouse.com

20 April 2016
05 October 2015 | Malaysia, island of Borneo
19 September 2015 | Kuching/Santubong
01 July 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
23 May 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
17 April 2015 | Venu Island
01 April 2015
12 March 2015 | Tioman
01 March 2015 | Papua, Indonesia
26 February 2015 | West Shore of Papua Indonesia
21 January 2015 | Raja Ampat, Indonesia
05 January 2015 | Gam and Waigeo, Raja Ampat
31 December 2014 | Misool, Indonesia
31 December 2014 | Masool, Indonesia
24 December 2014 | Indonesia
21 October 2014 | Philippines
04 June 2014 | Davao
17 April 2014 | Pacific

In Rotuma, the anchorage is calm but exposed to the north and northwest.

11 December 2010 | Rotuma Fiji
Rebecca with Patrick
Captain Cook sailed north through Tonga. He heard there were islands to the west called Fiji, where the warriors were fierce. The cannibals in Tonga were also fierce but cunning. They could smile and entertain and appear "friendly", all for the purpose of creating opportunity to overcome the superior arms of Cook. But Cook, coming from a strong military background, was forever vigilant and always kept interactions with the natives weighted in his favor. William Bligh was sailing as an officer under Cook on this voyage of discovery. Cook would not return but Bligh would.

In 1789, Captain Bligh and his crew of 18 castaways were the first Europeans to sail through Fiji waters after narrowly surviving the warriors of Tonga. In Fiji, at the northern most point of the Yasawa group in northwest Fiji, Blighs small yawl was nearly overcome by a catamaran full of cannibals. Bligh had no way of knowing he should turn north, where on Rotuma, 300 miles away, he would find an abundance of tropical vegetables and fat hogs. And being the most contradictory of south pacific islands, there is no oral or written history of the Rotumans ever being cannibals. A wayward band of castaways, as it had been the custom, would have been welcomed.

Rotuma was eventually discovered by Captain E. Edwards, sailing the brig Pandora. In 1791, the British Admiralty sent Edwards on a serious mission to scour the Pacific for that mutineer Fletcher Christian and his band of scoundrels who commandeered the Bounty and sent Captain Bligh and his men adrift. Edwards stumbled onto Rotuma and other uncharted islands but Christian was no where to be found.

The next European ship to visit Rotuma was the British missionary ship Duff which was searching for souls to save in 1797. In the mid 1800s Rotuma became a popular stop for world roaming whale ships in need of fresh food and fresh water. In more recent times, few outsiders were allowed to visit Rotuma.


After 2 ½ days of sailing we approached on the horizon a very green mountainous island, all alone in the ocean, looking much like the volcanic islands of French Polynesia. We rounded a couple small in diameter, but tall, islets on the north east corner. These green spires were nearly mobile with birds clouding like bees on a hive. Brick House jibed over and sailed behind the protection of the islets and a reef. We dropped anchor in a calm pond of turquoise very close to shore. But for one stretch of fine white sand beach lining the shore from a rock pier, the shore was 15 foot high black lava rock protected seaward by the shallow reef. On the passage we had kept a good watch, night and day so were starved for sleep. We promptly fell into the bunks. It was Saturday, noon time, and we anticipated waiting until Monday morning to clear customs.

An hour later, a car horn honked with determination on the nearby wharf, and when we poked our heads up to see what the commotion was, it was the officials motioning for us to come get them. With cloudy eyes and hazy brains, we launched the dinghy off the foredeck. Patrick went for 2 rounds of bringing a total of 4 people out to the boat.

After serving cold drinks and being nice to the officials, we were cleared in. Turns out that we are boat #8 to clear in or out of Rotuma since this place became an official clearance port. They treated it like we were an international arrival, just for practice. It used to be that for a sailboat to come here, they would have to get special permission in Suva, sail here, and then sail 250 miles back against the wind to go back to Lautoka to check out of Fiji. Now boats going north have a convenient stop to break up the trip.


Vessel Name: Brick House
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40 #134
Hailing Port: Middletown, RI USA
Crew: Patrick and Rebecca Childress
Extra:
Patrick completed a solo-circumnavigation on Juggernaut, a Catalina 27 in his younger days. He has been published in most U.S. and many foreign sailing magazines, for both his writing and photography. He co-authored a book titled "The Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay and the South Coast of [...]
Home Page: http://www.whereisbrickhouse.com
Social:
Brick House 's Photos - (Main)
19 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
All sorts of tropical animals and insects
No Photos
Created 5 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 17 April 2015
16 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
Underwatr
24 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
8 Photos
Created 24 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 21 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 April 2014
Captured turtle images
21 Photos
Created 3 March 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additiona Images
4 Photos
Created 18 December 2013
We decided to take the slow route, down the sidewalk..ie the Intracoastal Waterway, the ICW. We went slowly, and smelled the flowers along the way. We are with old friends of Patricks, new friends of mine...Art and Grace Ormaniec, in Manteo, North Carolina.
2 Photos
Created 26 October 2007
3 Photos
Created 10 October 2007
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2007
AT THE END, Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! And I still have my Arizona driver license!! '