BRILLIANT'S LOG

"No matter where you go... there you are." Buckeroo Banzai

01 January 2011 | Stuart Florida Cruisers BBQ
30 October 2009 | Annapolis Boat Show
01 October 2009 | Dinghy Raft Up
20 September 2009 | Lucky Bird at Anchor Cacaway Island, MD
18 September 2009 | Riding the Flood Tide, Delaware Bay
18 September 2009 | TigerLily and Gramps on a Maine Lake
08 August 2009 | Rounding Small Point, Maine.
22 July 2009 | Roseate Spoonbill
04 July 2009 | The New Rudder Quadrant
18 May 2009 | Repaired Rudder!
18 April 2009 | Jacksonville, FL
17 February 2009 | Chart of Boot Key Harbor
07 February 2009 | "Brilliant" hard aground, Lake Sylvia, Ft. Lauderdale
29 December 2008 | Jewell Island, Maine
02 July 2008 | At sea off the New Jersey coast
23 June 2008 | Horn Harbor, VA "Painted Skies" dock
14 May 2008 | "Brilliant" Pasquatank River, NC
27 April 2008 | Cape Fear River
24 April 2008 | "Brilliant" at sea off South Carolina
24 December 2007 | Falmouth, Maine. Grandchildren TigerLily and Lion on the foredeck

Norfolk, VA to Richmond, Maine

08 August 2009 | Rounding Small Point, Maine.
Lion on Dolphin Watch
Brilliant's Log 06-09

24 - 27 July 2009, Norfolk, VA to Onset, MA

With a good forecast for reasonable winds, we departed the Navy Sailing Center at the Naval Station Norfolk around 1300 after waiting for slack water before the ebb. The winds were very light, but we rode the ebb all the way out of the Chesapeake Bay past Cape Charles and into the Atlantic. Light winds kept us motoring until around 1630 when we were able to sail. The wind stayed with us until around 0300 and it was time for the engine again. In flat seas we motor sailed with a light southern wind until Saturday afternoon. The 10-15 knot SW wind forecast finally filled in and we sailed wing and wing with the whisker pole into Saturday night, through Sunday and into Monday. We saw lines of thunderstorms each night along the shore but they all either dissipated as they reached the sea or stayed on shore (thank you very much.) During this period we had numerous dolphin pods come by to play and also saw several large sea turtles. At around 0400 on Monday morning the wind decreased to around 10 knots, but with the 4-6' seas causing the sails to flog and our speed dropped to less than 3 knots. While starting the engine is always a disappointment, we only had to motor for about six hours. Once we passed Cuttyhunk Island and entered Buzzards Bay, the seas laid down allowing us to shut the engine down again and we enjoyed the best sail of the trip. Dead downwind with all sails up, we were making 6-8 knots with 15-20 knots of wind pushing us to our destination. We made Onset,MA before 1430, much earlier than we expected. After getting a good anchor set on the first try, Pete made a quick trip in the dinghy for ICE (we were still working without refrigeration). Our plan for a quick nap before going to town was aborted by the arrival aboard of Mary and Dave from "Mon Ami". They are also SSCA Commodores who we hear on the morning SSB radio net and it was nice to meet them in person. After a few sea stories, wine and snacks with them aboard "Brilliant", we made our way to Marc Anthony's for Pizza. The restaurant is an Onset landmark with a unique atmosphere and dishes up a great pizza.

Log 398 NM in 73.5 hours.


28-29 July 2009 Onset, MA to Quohog Bay, Maine

Carefully timing departure at 0930, we caught the flood tide for a quick ride through the Cape Cod Canal. We were able to hold the current until well past the tip of Cape Cod Bay. The wind was light but perfect for motor sailing so we covered quite a bit of ground. Then by early afternoon the wind finally filled enough to shut the engine down. We held the calm seas until dark, when the seas started to build to 3-5'. With the wind out of the southwest directly on the stern we rolled our way through the night past Cape Ann and Cape Elizabeth. Arriving just outside Casco Bay at dawn when once again we lost our wind. Approaching the coast under power we ran into thicker and thicker fog. The last 6 miles we had to pick our way through the lobster pots into Quohog Bay with less then 100 yards of visibility. In all it was a good overnight trip, made in under 26 hours. We called the Great Island Boat Yard on the VHF radio and took a mooring ball for the week. By noon thirty we had our daughter and two very excited grandchildren aboard "Brilliant" for a visit.

Log 135 NM


29 July - 5 August 2009 Quohog Bay, Maine

There is nothing better than a Maine summer with grandchildren to share it with.

Log 0 NM


6 August 2009 Quohog Bay, Maine to Bath, Maine

With our 5 year old grandson Lion aboard we departed Quohog Bay. No wind, but clear skies and glassy seas, made for an easy trip. We had fun looking at the many colored lobster pot buoys (that we had to dodge), navigation marks and the beautiful pine covered islands with Lion. Motoring around Small Point with Seguin Lighthouse in sight, a small pod of Harbor Porpoise zipped by us. Lion was standing on the bow as they passed and you can image his thrill. We entered the Kennebec River and called ahead to the Bath Harbor Master and received permission to spend the night on the town dock. Lion wanted to go out for lunch, and choose an Irish Pub that was a couple of blocks away. We spent the afternoon enjoying his company and watching him play in the park next to the dock.

Log 27 NM


7 August 2009 Bath, Maine to Richmond, Maine

Lion's dad picked him up in the morning and we departed the dock at around 1000. We continued up the Kennebec River through Merrymeeting Bay to Richmond. We reached the town just as an afternoon thunderstorm came through. We enjoyed the time we spent in Richmond last year and decided to try it again. It's much closer for our daughter to visit and this year we managed to get a spot on the town dock. Free mooring with water and electricity, can't beat that. We'll probably stay for 5 or 6 days.

Log 12 NM
Comments
Vessel Name: Brilliant
Vessel Make/Model: Brilliant is a 1989 Moody 425.
Hailing Port: Pensacola
Crew: Stephanie & Pete Peterson
About:
We found "Brilliant" in Marmaris, Turkey in May 2001 while working on the Island of Crete. After Pete retired in April 2002 we moved aboard and began full time cruising. [...]
Extra: Brilliant's Log was and is written as a record of our travels. We started the e-mail logs in 2002 so that our family and friends could keep up with where we were and to share a bit of what the cruising life is all about. Hope you enjoy reading of our adventures!

The Crew

Who: Stephanie & Pete Peterson
Port: Pensacola