Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

We Missed Muertos!

18 March 2010 | Punta Arena De La Ventana (South End of Cerralvo Channel)
This morning we woke up and the big winds had died. The power boat Amiga that had been there with us in Los Frailes was gone. They also were planning on going north and had better weather information than we do so we knew this was our chance to get the heck out of Frailes. In actual fact, Frailes is a great anchorage with world class snorkeling and diving just around the corner but it was so darn windy there we really didn't experience any of that. It was the wildlife that made our stay worthwhile.
We took off at about 8am headed for Bahia Los Muertos (aka Bay of the Dead, later renamed the Bay of Dreams by developers). It's about 45 miles north and will take most of the day to get there. We should have known, along the way the wind shifted to the south. Wouldn't you know it, by the time we made it to Muertos it was blowing so hard from the south, anchoring there would have put us on a lee shore, not a safe place to be.
Amiga decided to stop there, but seeing as we were running low on food because of our 5 days in Frailes we passed right by Muertos and went into the mighty Cerralvo Channel. There is a long skinny spit of sand then goes out into the far south end of the Channel, that's where the lighthouse is in the picture. Muertos is over the land to the right. With the southerly blowing like crazy being on the north side offered us some good protection.
But don't think of staying here when the north winds come back - that could be disasterous. La Ventana is a little town up a few miles and it is known as Wind Surfer Capital of Mexico. We'll get out of here first thing in the morning. If it's a southerly we'll continue up the Cerralvo Channel towards La Paz. If it's a northerly we'll scoot back around the point and into Muertos. Right now - nobody knows. Maybe only the weather gods. Just be ready to pick up and move quickly if you have to.
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!