Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

We Made It! But Not Without Some Drama

20 November 2012 | Opua, New Zealand
We motored for hours trying to find the southeast winds that had been forecasted so we could sail the final miles in. At about 4am, we found some wind but it was on the light side so we continued motoring. At about 5am the engine rpm's increased without my touching the throttle. I yelled out to Don who was sleeping below and before I knew it the engine died. OMG - WE JUST RAN OUT OF GAS. We were about 20 miles from the entrance to the Bay of Islands so we decided to keep sailing until the sun came up. It was a nervous time for me...geez...so close yet so far. Luckily we still had some fuel in the port side tank so Don went to work bleeding the engine and in a few minutes we were able to start her up again. Once we knew we had a motor available for later, we cut the engine and continued sailing towards our destination. The closer we got to land the more boisterous the seas became. It was rainy and yucky and zero visibility, and a really bumpy ride. But the wind was managable at ESE 15-20 knots. Our mates on 'La Fiesta' were a mile or so behind us and we were all anxious to make landfall. We wanted to sail in on a wonderful sunny day and spot land from miles offshore but that wasn't meant to be. At about noon, after not sleeping much all night, we had maybe half a mile visibility as we passed by Cape Brett. We never saw it. We were both running on adrenalin, taking turns at the wheel. It's an exciting time coming into a new area and when you can't see anything...well I'm sure you can imagine. We turned on the radar and the land masses all around us came into view on the screen. An hour or so later as we got further into the Bay of Islands visibility improved enough so we could start to make out the islands to the port side. We still couldn't see through the front panels of the dodger so we'd stick our heads out the side to take a look. The rain and wind pelted our faces and spotted up our glasses so we could only look out for a few seconds at a time. The first thing we saw clearly was 'La Fiesta' coming up on our port side about a quarter of a mile away. They're the first boat we've seen for 10 days. We passed Frasier Rock on the left and turned into Veronica Channel. The wind dropped as we found protection well inside the Bay so we dropped our mainsail, rolled up the genoa and motored up the channel towards Opua Marina. We tied up at the Q (quarantine) Dock at about 2pm. Hurray! After eleven and a half days at sea - We made it! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!