Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

My First 'Remote' Blog Entry and Happy Birthday Mom!!

28 April 2014 | Whangamumu Harbor, North Island, New Zealand
Debbie
First, it is GREAT to be back on the water. We left 'Kissing Point' last Tuesday afternoon after a bit of a tussle getting off the pile moorings in a light southerly. Buena Vista made nice time down the river to Urquardt's Bay for our first night on the hook since the middle of March last year. The next morning was blowing a light southwester so we decided to pull out and sail north. We had 'Chapter Two' just behind us the entire day, made approx. 45 miles to Whangamumu by late afternoon. Whangamumu Harbor is just south of Cape Brett, the entry to the popular Bay of Islands. Several of our boat buddies including 'La Fiesta' and 'Picara' are there and we can't wait to see them again. We decided to stay here for several days and finish up all the bits and pieces that still have to be done before our passage to Fiji. One of the biggies on the list is to remember how to operate the SSB radio so we can post to the blog and more importantly request weather information. For all the hundreds of times I've used this radio, I had to pull out the manual and reacquaint myself with it after only one year of no use. We're having trouble with our VHF radio as well. We can pick up the emergency hailing channel 16 but not the local weather broadcast on 21 (our new friends on Freycinet 2 are picking it up loud and clear). We're not sure if it's the old antenna at the top of the mast that needs replacing or maybe the hills surrounding this harbor are blocking the signal or maybe operator error. Last Friday was Anzac Day here downunder. It commemorates the Australian and New Zealand Armed Corp - the ANZACS - who, in WWI landed at Galipoli in Turkey. Thousands were massacred on the beach by the Turkish and German infantry - thanks to the blundering orders by the British who were calling the shots. On a personal note, Don's grandfather, Vernon Bruce Robertson was in the process of landing at Galipoli that fateful day and was shot in the eye. He was immediately returned to the medic ship and lived to tell about it. If he hadn't have lost his eye, he probably would have lost his life and Don would not be here today! Next year is the 100 year anniversary. Back to the here and now...there has been a passing trough the last several days with gusty northerlies so we have stayed put in our little safe harbor. A few days ago we climbed up on the surrounding ridge to get telephone and internet connectivity. I was able to skype the states to wish my friend Arlene a happy birthday and Don was able to ring his mum and brother Barney in Australia. Today is my mother Esther's 75th birthday. I love you mom! I hope you have a wonderful birthday. It looks like tomorrow we'll leave this place, get around Cape Brett and sail into the Bay of Islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!