Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

It's Hard to Get to Fulaga!

01 August 2014 | Bavatu Harbor, Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
Our mates on 'Aurora Star' moved on to Little Harbor for a day and then back to Taveuni Island so their father Roy could catch his flight out. We were only on our own for a short time though. We'd heard on the SSB net that a group of yachts were about 10 miles from here at an island called Susui. It's near the Tongan Pass which is a break in the outside fringing reef of Vanua Balavu. It's an easy exit from Vanua Balavu to head south to the Southern Lau if the wind is right. There is an island called Fulanga about 120 miles almost due south which is 'THE' place to go this year. The reason is that is it very remote and the Fijian government has only recently issued cruising permits to go there. In other words, very few white people have ever been to Fulanga so their culture has remained close to untouched for hundreds of years. You have to wait for the right winds to be able to sail (or motor) there and it's been nearly impossible in these southeast winds we have had so much of. There was a weather window about two weeks ago when our mates on 'Bravo' and 'Lisa Kay' made it down. But we still had Evan with us and he never would have made his plane had we gone then. Instead, once Evan was on his way home we came here. Our thinking being the same as the other yachts in this area - the further east we could get, the easier the passage south to Fulaga would be should the south-easterlies take a rest even for a day or two. Well, so far the wind gods have not cooperated. If anything the wind has gotten even stronger and the seas even wilder. We knew that eventually the yachts in Susui would make their way up here to a more protected spot to wait for their next chance. Within two days seven yachts had pulled in to Bavatu Harbor. Three took the yacht club moorings and the others anchored around the bay. One catamaran anchored directly between us and the shoreline. It's because we don't feel comfortable anchoring in 10 feet of water and they actually prefer that. Our good friends on 'Waveglider' used to do that to us all the time in Mexico. 'Buena Vista' would pull in first and anchor in a great spot and they would sail right past us into an even better spot way closer to shore! We miss you Sue and Barry!
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!