California Condor

Antrim Class 40 Racing in the 2010 Pacific Cup

Vessel Name: California Condor
Vessel Make/Model: Antrim Class 40
Hailing Port: Richmond, CA, USA
Crew: The PacCup team: Buzz Blackett, David Blackett, Jim Antrim, Todd Hedin, Liz Baylis, Tom Paulling
22 July 2010
22 July 2010
19 July 2010
19 July 2010
16 July 2010 | A Little Nearer Yet To Hawaii
15 July 2010 | A Little Nearer to Hawaii
15 July 2010 | Nearer to Hawaii
14 July 2010 | North of Hawaii
14 July 2010 | California Coastline
12 July 2010 | California Coastline
11 July 2010 | California Coastline
10 July 2010 | California Coastline
Recent Blog Posts
22 July 2010

7/22/10 - Pau!

Yes! We finished at about 2130 HST. Over 100 other sailors and other well-wishers came out to greet us when we got to the dock. The good will and wishes for us for palpable. These sailors are a pretty wonderful group. After a few mai tais and sushi we collapsed around 2:30 a.m.

22 July 2010

7/21/10 - Land Ho!

Land Ho! We sighted Oahu at 1728 HST. Our finish ETA is 2052 HST.

21 July 2010 |

7/21/10 - Onward to Kaneohe Finish

We made good progress during the night and the rudder seems to be sturdy (after some real stress tests in squalls during the last two nights). So we have decided to finish the race and go into Kaneohe for a day and then sail the boat to Honolulu for hauling and shipping. We just completed the 100 mile check-in with the race committee and are hoping to finish by 9:00 p.m. Hawaii time and get to the dock by 11:00 p.m. We'll try to send a final blog this evening.

20 July 2010

7/20/10 - Light Winds, Slow Progress

Pulling the drouge out of the water and steering with a rudder instead made the boat go much faster. Until the wind dies. Which is what has happened to us during the course of the day. We are having to work for our miles, trimming and gybing. The good news is the rudder is holding up just fine. We still hope to arrive Thursday at the latest.

19 July 2010

7/19/10 - Rudder Post-Op


7/14/10 - A Little Explanation About What Happened

14 July 2010 | California Coastline
Jim Antrim
I thought I'd write to add a little more detail about our situation. Our problems all started about 3:30AM yesterday when we were changing to a larger spinnaker. Attempts to set 2 kites in a row led to big tangles with them blowing through the foretriangle. I realized later that the problem was our main was in too far causing the wind to blow backwards through the foretriangle (the boat is so fast downwind that the main is trimmed in much further than a normal boat for downwind sailing). Then just when we were wondering how much could go wrong at once I heard a clunk and the steering got very stiff. "All stop with the spinnaker set, somebody needs to come back and look at the steering system!" Buzz looked it over with his flashlight and saw that the port lower rudder gudgeon (or pintle depending on your preferred terminology) had broken. It was a break through one side of the metal strap that wraps around the front of the rudder.

To make a long story short, we pulled the port rudder off, pulled it on board, and proceeded merrily on our way with the starboard rudder. We set the jib rather than a spinnaker, out of caution, and the fact that most of our spinnakers needed to be packed, and people rested. "Ya, suure", as Sven would say. We were almost to our port tack jibe line according to the current projections, and that meant the starboard rudder would be more than adequate for most of the remaining trip.

We reported our 8Am position at roll call, described our situation and said all was well. We were still doing 10-11 knots. The wind then built a little and we decided to reef the main to reduce lad on the helm. Just as we finished that procedure, Liz shouted that we had another steering problem. Seconds later the starboard rudder lower gudgeon broke loose completely & the rudder started swinging wildly back and forth. While others set to dousing the sails I focused on removing the rudder. Both rudders now safe and sound on board, out of harms way! No better way to preserve your rudders than to pull them on board.

Back to our adventures.... We had a drogue on board to help balance the boat in the event of losing a rudder; so that has now become our primary steering system. We have a jib to port and staysail up to starboard, wing and wing, steer by shifting angle of the port & starboard bridle lines. The good news is steering now is just a matter of rare adjustments, once every couple hours. Everything is much dryer at 3-4 knots than it is at 12-20. The boat is cleaned up and organized and people catching up on sleep. We had a wonderful dinner last night with all six of us below, laughing and joking, enjoying some half way party favors and a bag of wine. The bad news is it will take a long time to get to Hawaii at this speed. Depending on when you look at the GPS, projections are as good as 6+ days and as bad as "you don't want to know".

We may have some tricks left in our sack. Hope to speed things up. In the meantime Buzz and I are talking through repair plans once in Hawaii. Squall coming up. Time to check things out on deck.

Best to all on shore and at sea. Jim
California Condor's Photos - Main
23 Photos
Created 27 July 2010
1 Photo
Created 27 July 2010
The crew has plenty of last minute preparations, but made it to the line, had a great start, and sailed under the gate in style.
19 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
4 Photos
Created 29 June 2010

About & Links