Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Apia, Upolu, (Western) Samoa: June-July 2011

12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
AH
Apia, (Western) Samoa

27 JUNE - 10 JULY 2011


A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME...

Apparently would NOT smell as sweet to a Samoan. What American Samoans (and much of the rest of the world) calls "Western Samoa" is really named simply Samoa (or officially speaking, Independent State of Samoa). Like others, I often refer to it as "Western Samoa" in order to avoid confusing it with American Samoa since both Samoa and American Samoa are part of the same cultural island group.

This tiny nation, once governed by the British, is currently debating whether to adopt a new flag that would look "less colonial." It also has been reported that they are planning to jump to the far side of the International Dateline in order to be more in tune with New Zealand, but I don't know when this change is supposed to take place.

RUDI AWAITS

We left the dock in Pago Pago at about 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 26, and arrived in Apia on Monday, June 27, at about 1:30 p.m. We had expected the trip to take about 15 hours, but due to long periods of time with head winds and others with no wind, it took us 22 instead.

We called port control on the VHF before entering the harbor in Apia, and they instructed us to go on into the marina; someone would be on hand to assist us there. And surely enough, a man was on the dock to show us which slip to take and to help us tie up. We asked him about reporting in to the authorities, but he told us that we should wait on the boat; the authorities would come to us.

As soon as we had the boat properly secured, who should show up but Rudi, our long lost friend from Pago Pago. Perfect timing, we thought, but WRONG.

Rudi stood on the pier by the boat and talked to us for a few minutes, then went off to get some beer. When he returned, the first official (Health) was already in the cockpit. He said we really shouldn't be receiving goods before checking in with Customs but let Rudi pass us the beers anyway. At that point a security guard for the marina came down to the boat and escorted Rudi off the premises, explaining that no one was allowed in the marina without a pass. So Rudi went ashore and sat at an outdoor picnic table by the Moana Blue restaurant within viewing distance of our cockpit and waited. And waited and waited while government officials - all five of them - paraded to and from our vessel.

The first official, as already mentioned, was the Health inspector. Once he completed his inquiries at the boat (no, he did not "inspect" the boat, just asked us some questions), he told us that we could now take down the Q (quarantine) flag; we were granted practique.

Next came the official from Quarantine. We thought he was from the same department as the Health official and told him that someone else had already conducted his inspection, so he left in some confusion but soon returned to say no, that fellow was from Health; he was from Quarantine. And so he came aboard and sat in the cockpit and asked us the same questions we had just answered for Health. Then he left, telling us to stay on the boat; Customs would be coming.

And so we waited about a half hour, waving to Rudi up on the shore from time to time, until the Customs official came. He also sat in the cockpit and asked us many of the same questions we had already answered twice plus a few more, then took his leave, explaining that the Immigration official was busy at the airport and might not make it out to our boat until the next morning. He said we should remain on the boat until she arrived, but then, noting how aggrieved we were, added, "Or at least be sure to be here when she arrives in the morning."

And so, once he was gone, we stepped off the boat, waved triumphantly to Rudi, and started down the pier toward the marina exit. Halfway down the pier we met a woman from the marina office. She said we needed to fill out paperwork for her, and so we all trooped back to the boat where we filled out more forms. Then she told us that she had just talked to the Immigration official and that she was on her way, so we should wait at the boat for her now.

And so we did, and a little while later she showed up and had us fill out more questionnaires, mostly giving information we had already given to four other government officials, and THEN WE WERE DONE! All in all, the whole clearing in process, from our arrival until the Immigration official left, was only about two-and-a-half hours, but it seemed like FOREVER.


FIRST NIGHT OUT
Finally we were able to join Rudi outside Moana Blue, a floating restaurant there by the marina, and enjoy the beer (for Jim) and wine (for me) that he had waiting for us. The weather was quite pleasant, and so we three sat there under a tree at the picnic table ordering food - platters of snacky seafood things, mostly fried - and drink until late in the evening. It was really a joy to spend time with Rudi again, and we greatly appreciate that he delayed his departure from Apia for a week in order to be able to visit with us.

THE RUSTIC LIFE

We had spoken to Rudi on the phone before sailing to Apia, and when he told us that he had rented a house there, we had visions of a shower with hot water and maybe even a car. But no, Rudi said, his house, which was farther up the mountain from the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum, not only had no hot water, it now had NO WATER AT ALL. The water had simply dried up. And so his girlfriend, Leilila, had to bring jugs of water up to the house. As for a car, he didn't have one, even though he had been living there for eight months, but used taxis instead. (The buses, he said, were totally jam packed, so that you could hardly ever even get on one, and if you did, you'd probably have to sit on someone else's lap.)

Before he rented the house, Rudi said he lived with Leilila's family for two months. There he got up in the mornings and chopped wood for a fire on which to cook his coffee, then wrung out the grounds through a T-shirt in order to get the liquid coffee sans grounds into a cup. An interesting life, he noted, but not one he particularly wished to continue. (I have to admit, I see his point.)


DAY 2: A TRIP TO TOWN

Our second day in Apia we walked into town, about a half hour walk but a pleasant one. We used the ATM at the ANZ Bank and got a SIM card for Jim's cell phone at the Digicel office. Stopped in McDonald's to see if what we had heard about their offering free internet was true, but the employees there didn't seem to know what we were talking about, and the young lady we asked who was using her computer there said no, they had no internet there.

On the way back from town, at about 4:00 p.m., we stopped into Aggie Grey's Hotel to have a drink. We had been told by one of the fellows staying at the marina that Aggie Grey's had cheaper drink prices during Happy Hour from 4:00-6:00 p.m., but that day they did not. The drinks were okay (we had one mixed drink each) but not cheap: about $7.50 US each.

However, while we were sitting out on the patio by the pool sipping our drinks, I noted a little boy sitting with his back to us on a lounge chair about 10 feet away. "Is that Kezzie?" I said, and then, "It IS Kezzie!" (We had made friends with the Shaffett family in Pago Pago and had become Asher (7) and Kezzie's (3) honorary grandparents.) And then there was mom Rachel, who came over and joined us while Asher swam in the pool at a new friend's birthday party.

Rachel and the children had stopped over in Apia on their way to New Zealand, and we saw them several times over the next few days before they flew out. What a pleasant surprise!

Then on the way home we stopped in Paddles, an Italian restaurant that Rudi had told us had some of the best food on the island but was a bit pricey. We thought we might have dinner there, but after perusing the offerings on the menu (and their prices), we decided to just stop with a glass of wine.

Next stop Nettie's grocery for a bag of ice. We took that back to the boat, then returned to the Y-Not Bar adjacent to Paddles. We had noted the sign advertising fish & chips for about $7.50 US (half the price of other establishments), and so we decided that we would try that for dinner. The fish was some pre-packaged frozen stuff and not all that wonderful, but it was filling and the price was right. (Jim and I shared it.) Plus the drinks were both generous and inexpensive (about $2.50 US for a well drink), and our bartender Maria, a young Samoan college student, was very nice. (We made a mental note to stop in again soon.) And then it was home again, home again - don't forget to show your passes to the FOUR GUARDS sitting out by the marina security guard station - to be gently rocked asleep on the Cactus Wren.


DAY 3: SITTING AT ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON'S DESK

The following day we had breakfast across the street at the Gourmet Seafood restaurant, where Jim bought an internet card. In the afternoon we got a taxi out to the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum, which is located in Villa Vailima, which used to be his home. (Taxi ride one way: about $3 US; price for museum tour, about $3.75 US per person.) The tour is definitely worth taking (as it is the only way you can see most of the house), and the grounds are private, spacious, and lovely. The house, which Stevenson had built as his home (a portion has since been added on), is two-story surrounded by porches and verandahs. Truly a topical paradise setting.

The name Stevenson gave his home was Villa Vailima (there is a brewery in Apia that makes a beer called Vailima - quite a decent lager - as well), and when we asked our tour guide, Tu'ito'i, why Stevenson named his home Five Waters (vai = water; lima = five in Samoan), perhaps because there were five streams nearby? Tu'ito'i told us, no, it did not mean that. In this case it meant "water in the hands" as lima can also mean "hands," and he cupped his hands together as if to hold water as a demonstration.

Stevenson died of tuberculosis at Villa Vailima. One of the rooms we were shown in the home was his "sick room." On a brighter side, we also got to wander through his study and even sit at his writing desk. (For photos, see sub-album A Visit to Villa Vailima in the album UPOLU - SAMOA: June - July 2011.) There is a lovely little gift shop at the museum as well, and Stevenson's grave is some distance up the hill behind the villa, but it was late in the day by the time we finished the tour and I was not well, so we didn't make that hike.

After taking a taxi back to the marina, we decided to check out the Wildfire restaurant across the street. There we had a cold drink and met the owner, Colin, a very nice man from Papua New Guinea. From there we wandered the block or two up the street to the Y-Not Bar for Happy Hour drinks. This time our bartender was another delightful young lady named Brooke from San Francisco. We not only were served generous, inexpensive drinks but free French fries as well. (Four well drinks plus a bowl of French fries for less than $10 US.)

Then we returned to Wildfire for dinner, where we were joined by our new friend Mick (from Dublin, Ireland) and his lovely wife Maros (from the Philippines). We had met Mick there earlier that day, and now had the pleasure of meeting Maros after she got off work. (Mick is a retired engineer; Maros is General Manager of South Pacific Business Development, a micro-finance company based in Apia, Samoa, with offices in other countries as well, including Tonga.) Mick speaks English, but his Irish brogue gets so thick after a few beers that it can be difficult to understand him ("Speak ENGLISH!" Maros constantly admonishes him), and Maros speaks English, Spanish, French and Cambodian. With the two of them at the table, conversation was never boring.

For dinner Jim and I shared the barbecued chicken, which was fine but nothing special. It was, as usual, the people who made it special.


DAY 4: RUDI'S "LAST" FLING

Thursday of our first week there was to be Rudi's last full night on island as he was supposed to leave late the next night - or actually, very early the following morning - on a flight to Honolulu. And so he joined us at the Gourmet Seafood & Grill at lunchtime so that we could spend the afternoon and evening together. From there we went next door to the Ooh-la-la Ice Cream parlor and got ice cream cones and beer, then to the Y-Not Bar (where there was a Samoan male bartender who poured VERY weak drinks, but we did get free fries).

From there we took a taxi out to Sails, an interesting nautical restaurant on the water out from town, for drinks before walking a short distance down the seawall to the Apia Yacht Club, where absolutely nothing was happening and we sat out on the patio and sipped more drinks.

From there we took a taxi back to town, and Rudi split in order to meet Leilila at a pizza parlor. Jim and I returned to wildfire and had dinner there: "Curried Chicken with Chutney." The dish arrived, and it was chicken all right, but there was no discernible curry flavor, and the chutney was totally missing. When Jim asked our server for some chutney, she nodded okay and disappeared into the kitchen. About five minutes later, while our chicken was getting cold as it awaited its complementary condiment, she returned to say that she would be out with the chutney soon. A little while later she brought us a small plate of hot tortillas, which were quite good, but not exactly what we were expecting. (Island life: you gotta love it.)

To make up for the lackluster meal, however, we were treated to some outstanding and most enjoyable entertainment provided by Afa (who also goes by the name Arthur) and his daughter Simaima (Maima for short). Afa, who is around our age, sings and plays flawless guitar while Maima sings beautifully. Their voices harmonize very well, and Afa is the best guitar player Jim says he has ever seen (well, outside Segovia, anyway). What a treat! Afa came over to talk to us and introduced us to Maima. They are truly lovely human beings. AND they sing songs from our era. What a pleasure!

DAY FIVE: HARDWARE HARD TO FIND

Yes, there is an Ace Hardware store, or at least so it is named, in Apia. It is not like any other Ace Hardware store we have ever seen, but it is located downtown within walking distance of the marina (if you don't mind walking), right next to another hardware store. The Ace store here, like most buildings in Apia, is not air-conditioned. Nor is it particularly clean or well organized. However, unlike the first hardware store, they did have two of the items Jim needed: a drill bit and two set screws for a grand total of about $3.50 US. It was really too hot to think in there, which may have been the problem with the young man assisting us in the store who did not seem to know what a set screw even was. But at least we had partial luck in finding what we came for.

DAY SIX: RUDI RISES AGAIN

By now it is Saturday, and while having an afternoon beer at Wildfire with Mick, Jim meets Afa's brother Tony, who also plays the guitar and sings professionally. (Apparently the whole family does. Afa said the sons learned from their father and that even Tony, whom Afa says plays guitar better than he does, is not the best guitar player of the bunch: his older brothers is.) Tony invited Jim to play golf with him the following day, on Sunday, and so that just made Jim's day.

While still at Wildfire we got a phone call from Rudi. Turned out he missed his plane - by a full day, no less - and so was still on island. He wanted us to come out to Tausali, "a bar in the middle of a junk yard" (only Rudi could find such a place) up the mountainside in Fugalei where he would wait for us with Leilila. He even sent a cab to get us, so foolishly we went, bringing Mick along with us.

When we reached the designated establishment just after 8:00 p.m., we were charged a small cover charge (about $2.50 US per person) and allowed to enter the building. There we were greeted by a large dance floor with a bar at one end, very loud music coming from a live band on the stage in front of us, and Rudi and Leilila - the only other customers in the entire establishment besides us - sitting at a table at the far end of the room from the bar.

After introducing Leilila to us and our introducing Mick to them, Rudi explained that when he and Leilila arrived there was no band, just a big empty dance hall with nobody else there, and he thought it would be a neat place to sit and talk. Alas, talking was out of the question now, and so we moved outside to the one and only picnic table as a few more people drifted into the bar.

Rudi and Mick soon discovered that they had something in common since they had both lived in Cambodia, and so the men talked and smoked (Rudi and Mick), and Leilila grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the dance floor. There we danced and drank with each other for far too long, then went out and joined the men briefly just in time to have some barbecued pork. (The cooks had been barbecuing a baby pig when we first came out to the picnic table.) Then Leilila insisted that she and I go back and dance some more, and so we did. The music was actually pretty good, just way too loud.

Eventually it became apparent that we had all had too much to drink, and so Mick and Jim and I took a cab back to the marina and from there got ourselves home. It was an interesting evening, but not one I would care to repeat anytime soon.

DAY 7: GOLF & REST

The next day was Sunday, and Jim went off to play golf with Tony in the morning while I stayed home and nursed a hangover along with my bronchitis. (Rudi, you are one wild and crazy guy, but we love ya!) Jim had a great time with Tony and his friends, but unfortunately forgot to take the camera, so sorry, no photos of the golf course.

WEEK 2: SEALING FRIENDSHIPS AND REPAIRING "HELMUT"

The next week was more of the same sans golf, the museum, and Rudi. But we were able to spend much more time with Mick and Maros, and that was a real pleasure.

Mick helped Jim make a repair to our Autohelm self-steering system, which we have nicknamed Helmut, and also drove him all over the island looking for stainless steel pipe that Jim needed for the repair.

The two things Jim said he especially wanted to do while we were in Apia was to see the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum (me, too; and we did) and to tour the Vailima brewery. As it happened, he and Mick passed right by the brewery while on their search for pipe and stopped there only to be told by the security guard that the brewery doesn't give tours and the public is not allowed inside. (Well, one out of two ain't bad.)

During the week we also found Nettie's Laundry, which is maybe a mile or so from the marina, and dropped off our laundry there. I also shopped for the first (and only) time at the big supermarket downtown, which was neither air-conditioned nor particularly well stocked, but I did pick up some bread and eggs there.

And I used the ATM at the ANZ Bank next door to the supermarket for the first time. (Previously, Jim had always tended to this task.) It was a bit confusing to me since there were three ATMs, and none of them seemed to do what I wanted. The first one kept telling me that I could take up to 4,000 tala (about $2,000 US) out in cash, but when I asked for a mere 400 tala it wouldn't give it to me and made me start over. After a couple of futile attempts with this machine, I then moved on to another one, which would give me my bank balance but no cash. At last I tried the machine in the middle, and BINGO! I was able to retrieve 200 tala (about $100 US) in cash from the machine. (Reminds me a bit of that old shell game, you know?)

Thursday evening we had dinner with Mick and Maros at their house, which is a short drive from the marina. Mick cooked mussels, and we had those with rice plus another fish dish and plenty of beer. All in all, a very pleasant evening, which even included some good music played SOFTLY in the background. (Mick told us that if the music is too loud, the matai sends someone over to throw rocks onto their roof.)

Friday I was down for the count due to the bronchitis, and so Jim did all the running around to clear us out, which involved a considerable amount of walking. When he finally got done with the offices he had to go to downtown, which was around 2:30 p.m., he went across the street to have lunch while I stayed home and rested and babysat the generator, which we were running in order to run the refrigeration. At about 3:30 p.m. the lady from the marina office stopped by to say that she saw that we were clearing out and that I should tell Jim to be sure and stop by her office to pay our dockage before 4:00 p.m. that day because he might not realize that they were closing at 4:00, and of course they would not be open on Saturday or Sunday. So I had to shut down the generator early and get dressed and go find Jim, who happened to be coming down the pier just as I went out. I gave him the message, and he said she was right about his not realizing that they were closing at four o'clock because a big sign posted over their office says that they are open till 5:00 p.m. (Island time, right?)

Anyway, we got cleared out on Friday, picked up a few last minute provisions on Saturday, and then left for Savaii, a short overnight trip, at about 3:30 p.m. on Sunday.

APIA, APIA

What can I say about Apia? It is the capital city of Samoa, located on the north shore of the island of Upolu, with a population of around 170,000 (as compared to "metropolitan" Pago Pago, which has about 70,000 people).

I think the place Apia reminds me of most from our travels is Ensenada, Mexico (although we both like Ensenada much better). Like Ensenada, you must constantly watch your feet so that you don't step into a hole or trip on the uneven sidewalks; both adults and children come up to you as you are walking in town and try to sell you things; and almost NOTHING is air-conditioned. And our dear friend Afa, the guitarist, would fit in most wonderfully with the many musicians of Ensenada. (We wish we could take him to La Cueva del Garfio, our friend Charly's bar near Baja Naval, so that they could hear him play and he could hear Charly sing. What a treat that would be for us all!)

Apia appears to have some of the negative aspects of city life combined with poverty-stricken country life, and we did not find the Samoans there to be very friendly on the whole, even though we met numerous "Western" Samoans in Pago Pago who were very friendly indeed.

In the end, I suppose it depends on your point of view. A couple of our ex-pat friends who had lived there for a year or two, when asked if they liked it, said, "No." But our friend Reti, who tends bar at Sadie Thompson Inn in Pago Pago, hails from Apia and was sure that we would enjoy it. "It's quite a chipper place," she said, adding, "not like here."

In any case, if you are sailing and want to go to the much larger and far less populated island of Savaii in Samoa, you must first clear into Apia and get a letter of permission. That alone makes it a worthwhile stop for yachties, and the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum really is worth seeing if you are there.

FINAL ANALYSIS

Do either Jim or I think that we might like to live in Apia? NO!



Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010