Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Asau, Savaii, (Western) Samoa: July 2011

22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
AH
Asau, (Western) Samoa

11-17 JULY 2011


THROUGH THE MIST

Once again we made an overnight trip to the next island. This time our little voyage took only 17 hours. We could see the island of Savaii clearly in the early morning light, but as we neared the entrance to Asau Bay on the north shore of the island, a torrent of rain swept in and totally obscured the land from view. (The exact same thing had happened to us as we approached Apia on Upolu.) Visibility dropped to zero, and we were afraid that we'd be stuck hanging around out there at sea for hours, but luckily the rain passed through in good time and we were able to make our approach.

And a hazardous approach it is. Not something I would want to try at night (even though the channel markers, as of some time earlier this year, are now lighted). The channel is narrow with breakers very close in to the port marker and rocks shoaling up the channel to starboard. Also, it is important to line up with the range markers, which seem small and not overly easy to locate.

In sad testimony to the treacherousness of this harbor entrance, a sailboat lies broken upon the rocks on the port shore, having met her end there last year while on the last legs of a long ocean voyage. (A moment of silence, please.)

Once inside the harbor, it is open and beautiful. We were the only sailboat there for the entire week. The only other boats in the harbor were a charter fishing boat on a mooring and a couple of small, open motorboats. We were anchored by 8:30 a.m. and simply spent the rest of the day on the boat relaxing. The wind came up right strong just after we had finished squaring everything away, and so we were quite glad that we had made it in when we did, missing both the earlier rain and the later strong winds.

The next day we re-anchored closer in to shore, right in front of a lovely and quaint little resort called Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge (vaimoana@ipasifika.net). Sali (sp?), the manager there, was very kind to us and welcomed us to walk through the restaurant and lobby as needed and to put our trash in their trash bins. (Trash disposal is a problem on these sparsely populated islands, and you should ask rather than abuse a privilege such as this.)

We had drinks there at the bar that evening and found our bartender, a lovely Samoan woman, to be very friendly. The restaurant is all open air but partially under roof. The weather was quite nice: warm and tropical like the décor. This was a Tuesday, and at 7:00 p.m. four guitarists from the island tuned up and began to play and sing in Samoan with great heart if not altogether in great harmony. After a few songs we slipped out and returned to the boat for dinner and a quiet evening under the stars.

We never actually went to the town of Asau, only venturing 50 to 100 yards down the road from the resort to the Star Trader grocery/general store where we purchased a few groceries, ice, and beer as needed. There is another office of some sort sharing the building with Star Trader, and just before the Star Trader building is a tiny bank building. (That's all, foks!) And indeed, other than a few houses, that is all we saw ashore of Asau and the island of Savaii.

Unlike Pago Pago, we didn't see a single dog running amok in Asau, but we did hear a rooster crow and saw a rather large pig running willy nilly down the road. And at night, when we sat out in the cockpit at our anchorage, we could hear the chittering of fruit bats in the trees ashore. All in all, a very welcome bucolic setting coming on the heels of the more citified Apia.

By midweek we noticed that these high winds, about 20-25 mph, blew every day from around 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning till sundown (around 6:00 p.m.), and the longer the winds blew each day, the more chop they produced on the bay, making dinghying ashore a rather iffy proposition (or at least, dinghying back anyway), and so we mostly stayed on the boat, which would have been really pleasant if the wind hadn't been blowing so hard and I hadn't had this lingering, miserable chest cold.

Thursday of that week was my birthday, and so we waited for the winds to calm down at sunset and then went in to Va-i-Moana for dinner. When we first went there on Tuesday and met Sali, he told us we were welcome to have dinner there but should make a reservation. And so we made one right then on the spot for Thursday night, adding that it would be my birthday celebration.

And so when we arrived Thursday evening, all the serving personnel kept wishing me "Happy Birthday" and asking me how old I was. (WHAT??? Obviously this was NOT a French island where they might be expected to know that one refers to age only when speaking of good wine or cheese, NEVER a WOMAN!) Regardless, they were all very sweet and did help make the evening very special. (And no, believe it or not, I did not lie about my age.)

We ordered the "set" dinner plate, one each, for about $12 US per plate. This is what they mostly serve for dinner, and it differs somewhat from night to night, but you may also order off the regular (but brief) menu if you so desire. The set plate turned out to be quite a plateful of food with fresh (?) fish, which they normally sauté in a bit of butter and breadcrumbs but grilled for us upon request; chicken in some kind of sauce; rice, and salad. Pretty good overall, but not really excellent.

When we were finished with the meal, we asked our very sweet and pretty young waitress, who had a VERY soft voice, what they had on offer for dessert -- I mean, it WAS my birthday, right? -- and we BOTH thought she answered, in her very quiet voice, "Ice cream, fruit, and vegetables." Assuming that we hadn't quite heard her correctly, we asked once again and once again heard her answer, "Ice cream, fruit, and vegetables."

Oh, wow. What a dilemma. What did we want for dessert? Ice cream? Or vegetables? Ice cream, or vegetables? Decisions, decisions. (I mean, what would YOU choose?) But before we could get around to asking what kind of ice cream they had, out came another server who set a lovely little chocolate cake, surrounded with frangipani flowers and with "Happy Birthday" written on top, in front of me. Wow. I was impressed. And then one of the very nice, handsome young waiters (the same one who had had the impertinence to ask me my age, I think - but now, of course, was totally forgiven) placed a long necklace of large seeds (I thought they were wooden beads at first) around my neck, and then the musicians - only two this time, and they were quite good - sang Happy Birthday for me, and all the other diners clapped and cheered.

The cake was not large, but it was way more than enough for the two of us, and so we asked the waitress to cut it into smaller pieces and pass it out to the other diners, which she most graciously did. Jim and I each had a small piece as well, and it was quite good, in spite of the fact that we never got around to the ice cream. (I asked Jim later if he had told them to make the cake, and he said no. They charged us for it anyway, but it only came to about $7 US, so I am not complaining as it was all very charming and even quite tasty.)

The next day (beware the ides of July; remember last year when we were in Manihi and had gone in to the Pearl Beach Resort a day late to celebrate my birthday?) we motored in to shore in the dinghy early in the day in order to get a much desired bag of ice from Star Trader before the winds picked up. Alas, they did not have any ice, but the very nice lady there said they should have ice up at the gas station, which was too far away to walk to, and so she was trying to get us a taxi, but her cell phone was dead. Time rolled by, and we kept saying we really needed to go, and she kept saying to just wait a few more minutes, and so it went until finally we felt the wind come up and said we REALLY had to go. She agreed to try to get us two bags of ice from the gas station during the day, which we could then pick up that evening at Star Trader as they were open till 7:00 p.m.

We hurried back to the dinghy (it is now after 10:00 a.m.), jumped in and tried to start the engine, but no go. So Jim had to row. Now that we had anchored closer in, Cactus Wren was not all that far away, but the wind, tide, current and whatever were against us, and as soon as we got out from the protection of the dinghy dock area, we realized we were in trouble and tried to turn around to go back in, but alas, one of our oars broke in half.

We were immediately buffeted about and sent downwind right onto the rocks at the edge of the shore in front of the restaurant. I was trying to fend us off the rocks with the broken paddle while Jim was trying to steer us clear with the other, but it was to no avail. Fortunately, one of the fishermen (an Aussie, I think) saw what was happening, waded out to a motorboat, jumped in and came out to rescue us.

He towed us out to our boat and bid us "G'day," saying that this was by no means the first time he had had to make such a rescue (and seemed blessedly glad to do so, refusing any compensation for his efforts - bar a free beer if we should happen to run into him later at the restaurant). Thank you, kind sir! And as for these crazy winds, he told us they blow "like clockwork from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. every day for a couple of months."

We have now made it a strict policy that we will never again attempt to go anywhere in a dinghy on the day after my birthday.

That night, after the winds died down, we went back into the resort and had dinner there one last time. This time the set dinner included lobster (or crayfish), fried fish (not very good), a beef dish (mostly gristle), baked potato, salad, and bread (but no butter). We asked for butter, as did the customers at the table next to us, and eventually they brought it, but by then the potato was getting a bit cold. Jim and I shared one plate, and it was plenty for the two of us. Again, the food was neither bad (except for the gristly beef) nor great. But overall, for $12 US for the two of us, it was fine.

Meanwhile, when we first arrived on shore at about 5:30 p.m. that day , I walked up to Star Trader and bought the one bag of ice that they had on hand. The lady there said they had tried to get two bags for us, but the gas station only had one. Still, some ice is better than none, right? And the restaurant was kind enough to keep it in their freezer for us while we ate dinner there.

The next day, Saturday, we stayed on the boat, and the following day we left Asau Harbor and Samoa, heading out for Tonga.

As for that letter of permission we had to get in Apia in order to stop on Savaii? No one ever asked for it.


Comments
Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010