Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Neiafu, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga: July 2011

01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
AH
Neiafu, Tonga

21 JULY - 31 JULY 2011


LOST DAY

The sail from Samoa to Tonga was rougher than we would have liked for the first day, but after that it was quite nice. We did run out of butane (cooking fuel) one morning while I was cooking breakfast, which was a bit of a nuisance, but we had a small back-up bottle that Jim was able to hook up. (Fortunately this incident occurred on one of the calm days.)
The sail from Asau on Savaii, Samoa to Neiafu on Vava'u, Tonga took the expected three days. However, we left on a Sunday, July 17, and arrived four days later on the Thursday, July 21.

HOW CAN THAT BE??? WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR TUESDAY???

What happened is that we crossed the International Dateline, which has been redrawn to put Tonga on the east side of the dateline even though it is actually west of the 180° meridian. So now, even though we may still be a dollar short, at least we won't be a day late!


BEAUTY SURROUNDS US

As we neared the island of Vava'u, we passed through some fabulously scenic waters with bright green islands scattered all around, some with lovely coves and mysterious caves. We even saw two humpback whales swimming together (it is the whale watching time of year here in Tonga). Once we got close to Neiafu Harbor, the number of sailboats within sight grew dramatically. These islands are truly a sailor's paradise, offering plenty of day-trip possibilities and quiet, picturesque harbors in which to anchor. We highly recommend it as a MUST STOP to cruisers on their way across the South Pacific.


MEET LAFI

As we approached the main docks in Neiafu Harbor, a man came out to the seawall and waved to us, indicating that we should dock next to a couple of other sailboats at the wharf north of where the ship containers are unloaded. We pulled in where the man indicated, and he caught the bow line for us and introduced himself as Lafi.

Then he launched into a litany of all the things he was going to do for us: bring us fresh bread hot from the oven and flags for Tonga, Fiji, and Vanuatu that his daughter had made as well as necklaces that he himself had made. Meanwhile, just hand him our laundry and he would take it to his daughter to launder.

"Whoa," we said. "Lafi, we haven't even cleared in yet. And we just touched shore; we don't have our laundry together yet." He said okay, he would return in an hour or so with some bread and a selection of flags, and he would also bring us some nice necklaces. And we could give him our laundry then.

Well, we didn't go back to the boat right away after clearing in. In fact, we went into town for a bit and then had dinner with friends at one of the local restaurants and so didn't get back till well into the evening.

Lafi showed up again the next morning. He was not happy with us. He said he had returned to our boat and waited till 5:00 p.m. for us. Meanwhile, he brought us three loaves of bread (it had been taking us a week to get through one loaf, and I still had a full loaf in the fridge), several flags to show us, and two necklaces.

Two of the loaves of bread were regular white bread ( the same type they sell in the grocery store here) and the other was a nice round rustic loaf. I took the rustic loaf and gave him back the other two. (It never occurred to me he would bring more than one loaf!) The courtesy flags looked nice, but they were 30 pa'anga each (approaching $20 U.S.), we already had a Tonga courtesy flag, and we weren't even sure which countries we would be visiting next, so we said we would wait on that. And, of course, the necklaces he brought us also were for sale. We decided to go ahead and buy them, even though we were probably overpaying, thinking that at least we knew the artist and they would be nice mementos of Tonga. As for the laundry, I still wasn't organized enough to have that ready for him.

Well, the lovely rustic bread was covered in mold the next day, we were informed by locals that Lafe didn't make the necklaces himself, and it turned out that the place he told us to tie up was the wrong place, and so we had to pay dockage.

Fast forward a week or so: Jim, who now has a serious case of bronchitis, has dinghied into town and is about to return when he sees Lafi, who signals urgently to him and asks him to go tell the people on another boat in the anchorage that he has their courtesy flags for them. Jim explains that the boat to which Lafi is referring is way on the other side of the harbor, far from our boat, but Lafi is insistent that it is imperative that the boaters get these flags that they have ordered, so Jim agrees to dinghy out to their boat and give them the message.

When Jim gets to the other boat, the people on board inform him that they never ordered any flags. And so Jim begins the long dinghy ride back to our boat when the motor quits (due to water in the fuel he bought here). And so he has to row against a strong, cold wind and winds up with pneumonia.

And so when it comes to Lafi, our advice to fellow cruisers is to meet Lafi, greet Lafi, and RUN!


DAY OF ARRIVAL: THURSDAY, JULY 21 (TONGA TIME)

We arrived at the dock in Neiafu Harbor at about 1:30 p.m. After concluding our initial negotiations with Lafe, we walked over to the customs warehouse, just a little ways down the wharf, to clear in. We had to wait about ten minutes, then it was our turn to approach the desks on the left of the open, mostly vacant, warehouse where the health and quarantine officials were seated. We explained to them that we were there to clear in and were informed in a rather stern tone that we should have waited on the boat for them. We offered to return to the boat and await them there, but they said never mind; since we were already in their presence, we could go ahead and proceed with the clearing in process.

This process entailed giving information to health and customs officials and paying a total of 123 pa'anga (about $70 U.S.) for the health clearance fees. Since we had only U.S. dollars, we had to go to one of the banks (there are two downtown, which was only a couple of blocks away) to use the ATM to get Tongan pa'anga (officially denoted as TOP).

We returned to the customs warehouse, paid our money, and then headed back to town and the Immigration Department. We had to wait for awhile there but once it was our turn, the process was fairly simple. Another form to be filled out and filed, passports copied, and free one-month visas issued.

Next stop: Sunset Grill in town for something cold to drink. There we met two of the proprietors, Foster and Emily, and Emily's children John (8) and Josie (6). (Emily's husband Derek is the other owner, but he was away in Pago Pago at the time.) Foster and Emily are from the Seattle area, and we really enjoyed talking with them and the two children, who are outrageously charming and entertaining and who can easily hold their own against adults like us. We adored them immediately.

While we were sitting at the bar at the open air restaurant, which is just around the corner from the main street of town, whom should we see coming down the road with armloads of laundry but Natasha and Anatoli (Puppy), whom we had befriended in Pago Pago. I called out to Natasha, and they came into the Grill and we all sat down together and had a drink.

"We are meeting Don and Judy (WindRyder) for dinner at the Aquarium Café," Natasha said, and urged us to come with them, which we gladly did.

And so we wound up having a nice dinner with our friends from Pago Pago at the Aquarium, which is a delightful open air restaurant a short distance past town down by the water. Being Thursday evening, it was theme night at the Aquarium, and that night's menu theme was "Cajun." Jim and I shared a shrimp and rice dinner that was tasty but VERY mild; not the least bit Cajun, but still an enjoyable meal. Also on Thursday nights the Aquarium has a string (we are not talking violins here) band and a kava bowl, which guests are welcome to sample. I only took a sip, having heard that it was a really potent, lip-numbing, traditional drink of the South Pacific islands and that it had a taste that might not agree with us Americans. However, apparently the Aquarium doesn't want to be responsible for setting their guests on their duffs sans chair, so this kava was very weak, tasting a bit like used dishwater once the soap is mostly gone. Jim, being the more daring of us two, drank a whole cup, but his lips didn't get numb, either.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our first day in the Kingdom of Tonga. (Yes, there is a king, and no, we haven't met him.)


LEARNING THE LAY OF THE LAND

We stayed at the dock (which Lafe had assured us was okay) the first night. The next morning, Friday, we were roused at 8:00 a.m. by a rather formidable Tongan lady who informed us that we were at the fishing boat pier, NOT where we were supposed to be. Jim tried to explain that we didn't know we were at the wrong place, that we thought we were at the customs pier and that we had been told that this was the wharf where we should tie up. She retorted that EVERYONE knows this is NOT the customs pier and that we needed to come to her office by the wharf pronto and pay dockage for the previous night's stay. Jim asked how EVERYONE - including people like us who had never been to Vava'u, were supposed to know where the customs pier was since there was no sign designating it, and furthermore, it was taken up by ships, so how were we supposed to dock there?

Well, let's just say that when she left dockside we were probably not at the top of her favorite people list, so Jim wrapped up some banana bread I had recently made and took it to her in an effort to make amends when he went up to pay the dockage. Upon his return, I asked if it helped, and he said he didn't think so; he had not had exact change for the dockage fee, and so she had just kept the extra.

We spent the morning doing errands. Jim took a taxi to the butane gas place and filled our 30-lb. propane tank. We also went to the Digicel office downtown and bought a SIM card and some minutes for our cell phone. And we bought ice.

Then we moved the boat out into the harbor and anchored on the far side away from town near Puppy (Anatoli & Natasha). From there we dinghied in to the Aquarium Café in the late afternoon and had drinks (and free popcorn) with Anatoli and Natasha. Don & Judy (NightRyder) and Hugo & Mateo (Hasta Manana) were all there as well, so it really was like old home week.

Saturday we came into town for more shopping. I bought groceries at the Chinese grocery while Jim took a taxi to a gas station to buy gasoline for the dinghy motor. We had lunch - a burger with kumala chips - at the Sunset Grill. The kumala is a locally grown sweet potato, and the chips (made like French fries) were delicious. While there we met Wim, an old (well, older than we are anyway) Dutchman who has been here for some years, and we had quite an interesting conversation with him. We also met Americans Paul, who had built the Sunset Grill, his wife Brenda, who had rescued a precious puppy (see photos), and their dog, Bear. It was only our second day on the island, and already the Grill was beginning to feel like home.


MY LEFT FOOT

The next day was Sunday, and since we both had bronchitis and most businesses in Neiafu are closed on Sunday anyway, we just stayed aboard the boat and rested. Monday, however, was a different story:

We came into town midday to do more shopping. (Hey, we can only carry so much at a time, so shopping trips are necessary about three times a week.) I walked up to a bakery a few blocks from Sunset Grill at about 1:00 p.m., but by then they had sold out of most of their breads (including the doughnuts Judy had told us about). All they had left were hamburger buns, hotdog buns, and several enticing-looking round loaves of cheese bread. I bought a package of hotdog buns and one loaf of cheese bread, both of which tuned out to be quite good - and the buns lasted a long time, almost a month. They were tasty, too.

From there I stopped by the Chinese grocery for some tonic water and other groceries. On my way to the Sunset Grill, only a block and a half away, I couldn't resist stopping in at an office supply and bookstore on the main street. Here I became interested in a Tongan-English dictionary and set down the carton of tonic water in order to look up a few words. Unfortunately, the price of the dictionary was a bit beyond my budget, so I reluctantly replaced it on the shelf and headed on over to the Sunset Grill to meet Jim for lunch. He was already there, so I set down my backpack and grocery bag and then realized that I had left the tonic water in the bookstore.

This necessitated a trip back to the little store, which was just across the street, so no big deal, right? Well, so one would think, but you have to remember that one thing leads to another and one mistake often leads to several others, and this instance was no exception to that unfortunate rule of life.

And so it was that as I stepped off the curb by the steps leading up to the Grill, I somehow twisted my left ankle, fell on my butt and then over onto my right side. This all seemed to happen in slow motion, and the fall didn't hurt me at all, but my left ankle and foot were now screaming in pain and I knew I was in trouble. So I quickly hobbled across the street, retrieved the forgotten tonic water from the bookstore, then hobbled back to Sunset Grill and sat down at a table where I could prop my injured foot up on a chair. What I saw then, when I looked at my left foot, was a large, hard lump (picture half a golf ball sitting on the side of your foot) just in front of my ankle bone. And my entire foot was badly swollen.

"Foster!" I cried. "I need some ice. NOW!" And so he kindly hopped to and brought me a bag of ice, which I placed on my foot for the next hour or two, and that did help reduce the swelling. That, along with some aspirin and a rum and Coke, helped alleviate the pain as well. Jim and I shared a fish pita sandwich for lunch, then eventually walked (well, he walked; I limped) back to the dinghy. On the way we stopped by the local veggie market for some limes and by the Coconet Café for some ice before heading back to the boat. Once there, Jim informed me that I was grounded until I could walk again, which was fine with me and actually only took a couple of days (although, as I write this exactly two months later, my left foot still hurts when I walk).

Fortunately (since we had invited friends for dinner that night), I don't need my foot in order to cook. And so I made spaghetti sauce and we had Anatoli and Natasha over for a spaghetti dinner that night. They are always lovely guests, and we quite enjoyed their company.


Weather reports indicated that the wind was supposed to get quite rowdy, 30 knots or so, by Tuesday night or Wednesday, so Tuesday morning Puppy moved to a mooring, and then Anatoli assisted us in moving to a mooring as well. We took an Aquarium Café mooring and so are not too far from their dinghy dock, which comes in handy.

While I stayed on the boat for the next two or three days, Jim took advantage of some down time to take the continuing education credits necessary to renew his Arizona real estate broker's license. He took the eight 3-hour courses over the next week or so and got that out of the way.


PIGLET PARADE

On one of Jim's excursions into town he was standing near the intersection of the main street and the street that runs beside The Balcony when a mama pig and six little piglets came strolling down the hill. Right before the intersection of the two streets, the mama stopped and the babies scurried to huddle beneath her. She waited for the passing traffic to clear, then oinked and pointed with her snout at an opening in the shrubbery across the street. At this signal the piglets hurried out from under her and marched - in single file, no less - toward the opening and disappeared into the shrubbery, followed by mama pig.

Soon afterward we were at The Balcony and related this amazing tale to the proprietress Trish, who in turn told us an amazing pig tale of her own:

A couple of months previously Trish took in a tiny piglet and began to raise it as part of the household. The piglet grew bigger and soon was following Trish around. Then one day the young pig looked up at Trish, opened its mouth (which pigs normally do not do when they "oink") and bleated, "Maa-maa."

I mean, I've always heard that pigs are smart animals, but really!

And thus July came to an end with our first ten days in Tonga and we had made some good friends and found a few good places to hang out and were beginning to feel quite at home - pigs and all.

LONG LIVE THE KING!



Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010