Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Neiafu, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga: August 2011

01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
AH
Neiafu, Tonga

1-31 AUGUST 2011

A VISIT WITH DR. MEL

On August 2 Jim and I decided we weren't just going to get well on our own and so went into town to see the Australian doctor whose office is downtown at Vava'u Pharmacy. Dr. Mel, whose name is in some dispute (Jim thought the pharmacist had called her Melody or Melanie; Emily at Sunset Grill thought it was either Melinda or Melissa; hence, Dr. Mel, which Emily said is the name the good doctor goes by). Anyway, Dr. Mel seems to be a caring, competent physician, and she spent a fair amount of time talking with both of us together and listening to us breathe, after which she diagnosed that I had a serious case of bronchitis while Jim might have a light case of pneumonia. She prescribed antibiotics for us, and that got us over the hump though it took several more weeks before we could stop coughing.

Meanwhile, prior to seeing the doctor, we had bought some pseudephedrine over the counter for our stopped-up heads so that we could breathe well enough to sleep at night. What relief! (This is the drug that has virtually disappeared from OTC meds in America because it is one of the ingredients for making meth.) They also sell a low-level codeine tablet over the counter here for pain. And none of these drugs, including the antibiotics, is very expensive. Nice.

THE RESTAURANT SCENE

We've already mentioned two of our favorite restaurants for hanging out - AQUARIUM CAFÉ and SUNSET GRILL - but we branched out a bit more in August.

You have to remember that it is winter here, so August is equivalent to February in the States. (Okay, I used the word "equivalent" loosely; obviously the weather here is much warmer in winter than, say, in Philadelphia, but nonetheless it does get a bit chilly for our old bones on occasion.) And so on August 8 we were feeling that chill when we heard Trish announce on the morning Cruisers' Net on the VHF that THE BALCONY was making curry in honor of the lower temperature. Well, that was enough to lure us up the hill from the Aquarium to The Balcony for dinner. We chose the beef curry (the other option being "butter chicken" curry), and found it to be pretty good but, alas, served without condiments. (WHAT??? NO CHUTNEY???) However, we did enjoy talking with Trish, who hails from Australia and has had The Balcony for about three years now, and hearing stories about her pig. We had a nice red wine with the meal, too.

We were also intrigued by Lawrence, the proprietor of OVAVA, and his descriptions (non-descriptions?) of his restaurant on the Cruisers' Net, and so a couple of days later decided to walk over there (it's located about a half mile past the Aquarium headed away from town) and check it out. We arrived at about 3:00 p.m. to find Lawrence, an Englishman endowed with that legendary droll, British wit, sitting alone at the bar in his front room. He regaled and informed us for a couple of hours while we nursed our drinks, tantalizing us with visions of quirky wood-fired pizzas and imaginative desserts. In the end, we dismissed his far-from-the-Pizza-Hut-crowd pizza toppings and asked for plain ole thin-crust pizza with cheese and pepperoni (oh, we Americans of such plebeian tastes), and he graciously obliged. But I couldn't resist the chocolate-orange marmalade tart, and so we shared one of those for dessert. Mm-mm good! "Where do you get the orange marmalade?" asked Jim, who lists that concoction as one of life's more desirable delights, only to learn that you don't get it here: Lawrence makes his own.

Again, thanks to the Cruisers' Net, we were aware that CAFÉ TROPICANA sells Tongan coffee beans. Having never seen coffee beans for sale anywhere else on the island, when we ran out of coffee we stopped by the Tropicana to purchase some. (And that's when we met another new friend, Hannah, also from England.) We bought a small bag of "dark" beans, which turned out to be a medium brown color and, according to Jim, to make coffee that tastes like instant, for the knock-me-down-I'm-so-glad-I-drink-tea price of 18 pa'anga, which would amount to about $24 a pound U.S. But Café Tropicana is a cute (though tiny) place with luscious-looking sweet and savory pastries behind the glass counter, and, of course, Hannah, as well as wi-fi and a book swap, a reference library, and a cozy little outdoor deck. AND beer.


SHOPPING AMERICAN

One day while we were sitting in the Sunset Grill our American friend Joe (Kart Safaris) told us about the "American store." We had already shopped at the "Chinese store" and the "Indian store" and had not been able to find some grocery item we really wanted, and so Joe offered to take us to the American store in his van since my foot was still quite sore for walking and the store was a bit of a distance away. (Besides, Joe admitted, he had a hankering for some Pringles.)

And so Joe drove us the mile or so through a rural residential setting until we came to a burned- out looking building beside a big grassy area with roaming pigs. He parked in front of the building and informed us that we had arrived at the American store. Inside the store were shelves stocked with American items at Tongan prices. We bought a few things, including a pound of Longhorn-style Cheddar cheese for 18 pa'anga (about $12 US). But, unfortunately for Joe, they were out of Pringles.

However, next to the cashier's counter was a table heaped with used clothing. Lying on top was an adorable crib quilt of Noah's ark, with pairs of exotic animals - giraffes, lions, elephants - and a rainbow. We asked how much it cost and, upon learning the price was only 3 pa'anga (about $2 US), we decided to buy it and figure out whom to give it to later. When we discovered that Hannah (Café Tropicana) has an 18-month old daughter, we decided to give it to her. (See photos.) Later we met her daughter Samantha, who reportedly quite likes her new quilt, and so that transformed a mundane and slightly disappointing trip to the grocery store into a serendipitous event. Ah, the magic of the moment!


THE TONGAN ADVENTURE CONTINUES

Our visas only extended through August 20, so on August 17 we went back to Immigration and extended them for another month. This cost 69 pa'anga each (about $92 total US), but we were just now recovering from our illnesses and wanted to stay longer in these lovely islands.

And so the adventure continues.... STAY STUNNED!
Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010