Bookmark and Share
Where's Shaman?
Cal 40 "Shaman" for sale **Price Reduced**
Steve Waterloo

Well, I listed the ad on a few sites and in a few magazines, so I wanted to put together the full specs as best I can in one place. I will edit this as I remember things that I want to list, but at this time it's a fairly exhaustive list. I have taken some pictures that can be seen in the photo gallery on the right side of this blog. Asking price has just been lowered to $88,000. There are a lot of Cal 40s available for $30K to $60K, which are quite nice for day sailing or light cruising. If you want to race competitively, the cheaper boats will take a lot of time, work, and money to dial in. I know. I did it. I won't do it again. Shaman is a turn-key solution that is ready to go now for ocean and bay racing. If you're interested, I also have a (really big) trailer for transporting her back from Hawaii on Matson Lines which I would sell separately after the boat sells. Read on.

Best equipped Cal 40 on the West Coast. Fully equipped for racing to Hawaii, coastal races, around the buoys, as well as cruising on the weekends with the family. Great sail inventory, many upgrades.

• Hull and keel filled and faired in 2003 by Paul Rosenthal
• Carbon rudder by Waterat (Larry Tuttle) w/carbon post and Jefa self-adjusting bearing
• Keel trailing edge above shaft log has been ground out and re-glassed
• Deck to hull joint cleaned out and re-sealed with 5200.
• New teak toe rail & stanchions moved outboard to through-bolt through deck to hull joint.
• New bow pulpit and stern pushpit with seats.
• Reinforced hull at backstay

• Yanmar 3Jh4E Diesel 39 HP (new in 2005)
• Integrated v-drive
• Martec 2 blade feathering prop
• 40 gal fuel tank (new in 2005)

• Two 8D AGM house batteries
• One engine start battery
• Ample Power Smart Alternator Regulator V3
• Shorepower battery charger
• Xantrex 1800W inverter
• AC outlets (shorepower & inverter)
• Fans

• Rule electric bilge pump with float switch in bilge.
• Manual bilge pump operable from inside cabin.
• Manual bilge pump operable from cockpit.

• 40 gal fresh water tank with additional 20 gal bladder tank.
• Electric water pressure pump and back-up hand pump at sink.
• Princess 3-burner stove/oven on gimbal.
• Ice box with Weaco compressor/evap loop new in 2010.

• B&G "Hydra" instruments & processor, 2 mast displays, 2 bulkhead MFD displays.
• B&G autopilot systems with H3000 GPD pilot display with Gyro Compass.
• B&G RemoteVision wireless autopilot remote control/display
• Vertical carbon wind wand
• ICOM M504 VHF with DSC.
• Raymarine AIS transceiver, integrated into 12" Standard Horizon GPS chartplotter (new 2011)
• ShipModul Multiplexor to combine all instruments and GPS, then transmit to computer via Bluetooth.

• Ballenger aluminum mast (new 2007)
• Ballenger boom (new 2005)
• Carbon spinnaker pole
• Rod standing rigging (new in 2007)
• PBO backstay w/hydraulic adjuster
• Removable PBO babystay
• Harken 2-groove head foil (roller furler in storage w/o sail)
• Harken blocks.
• 9 Harken self-tailing winches
• All modern running rigging in very good condition.
• Misc. blocks, snatch blocks, winch handles, etc.

• Main 3DL ~ 2012 new condition
• 155% (#1) Genoa 3DL 2010 good condition
• 95% (#3) Jib 3DL good condition
• 155% Jib Top 3DL 2010 very good condition
• Genoa Staysail NorthSails 2008 good condition
• Daisy Staysail/Drifter 2005 good condition
• S2 (half oz) NorthSails 2011 good condition
• S4 (3/4 oz) NorthSails 2008 OK condition
• S6 (1.5 oz) NorthSails 2011 good condition
• Shy kite (2.2 oz) NorthSails 2011 good condition

• Interior layout modified as follows:
. Dinette on port side
. "L" shaped counter/cabinet in galley area
. Pipe berths instead of torpedo tube quarter berths
. Engine box and lateral stringers in aft area rebuilt using Baltek panels
. Light weight, easily removable companionway stairs

For more info and to schedule a viewing, call my cell (415) 725-9581 or email: swaterloo"at"

Scroll up and click on the Photo Gallery link in the right column to see pictures.

| | More
Coastal Cup wrap up 2012
Steve Waterloo

The Coastal Cup Race 2012 is finished and the results are in. We ended up winning our class and placing second overall. The only boat to correct out ahead of us was the Santa Cruz 70, Holua. On handicap, they got us by about 3 hrs. It's really hard to think of somewhere that we could have made up that time, other than having different wind on the course. The big deciding factor on this race is whether you enter the Santa Barbara Channel early in the day or late. If you enter late, you are most certainly going to fall victim of the light wind and will slow to a crawl overnight until it gets light out and the wind picks up again. If you have a fast enough boat to get to the channel early, you will ride the daytime breeze at a good pace into the finish. It always seems to pay to have a fast boat. This year, there were many fast boats that expected to finish on Fri afternoon but got stuck for a second night on the course. A frustrating experience to be sure.

We started on Wed, 6/13, with the rest of class D and the one double handed boat. There was decent breeze at the start and we decided to start with the smaller #3 headsail. Our main competition was the other Cal 40, Red Head. They opted to start with their larger #1 headsail. From our experience, we have seen that the #1 is better up to a true wind speed of 13kts, then the #3 is better. The wind at the start was averaging in the mid to high teens so we made our call. The ebb current was established, so we set up for a pin end start on starboard, then flopped over onto port to head out to the center span of the Golden Gate bridge. We got a better start than the rest of the class, but not by much. After crossing under the bridge, we traded leads with Red Head several times. As the wind got lighter, we decided to change to the #1 headsail. We did this shortly before getting to the turning mark which was the R8 buoy in the shipping channel.

As we rounded the buoy, Red Head was a minute or so ahead of us. We sailed a course of 180 degrees, and when the wind backed enough, we hoisted the jib top. Red Head didn't have a jib top so they stayed a bit higher than us until they set their spinnaker. We held onto the jib top a bit longer since we didn't want to get pushed down too close to Montara. When we felt that Red Head was starting to move forward on us, we set the .75 oz kite. The forecast indicated that as we diverged with shore we would see progressively stronger winds. Or plan was to head straight south, letting the coast fall off to the east until we got into winds in the mid to high 20's. Unfortunately, we never found these winds, at least not consistently.

As we marched down the coast, we could see Red Head most of the night. In the evening, we decided that since the winds had built to the higher teens, we would change to the heavier 1.5 oz spinnaker. Initially we set up for a peel, but then decided since there were only 5 of us aboard, we'd do a down and up change. We dropped the .75 and when I was getting the gear set up on the 1.5, the fore guy dropped off of the pole end. It turns out that a shackle on the pole end had come loose and dropped into the water. We dropped the pole and I tied a loop of spectra where the shackle had been, and re-attached the fore guy. It seemed like an eternity that we were bald headed, but it was only about 10 minutes or so. Red Head stretched on us during this time.

As it got dark, we kept an eye on Red Head's running lights. We seemed to be grinding them down slowly. They were slightly inshore of us and as we expected, they were tracking us via our AIS transponder. At the start of the race, I decided that since we would be racing in the main shipping lane up the west coast, we would use our AIS after dark or in fog. There is something about knowing that the big ships can see us that outweighs the fact that our competition can as well. We never saw any other racers transmitting their position, but we were fine with doing it. At one point we had 2 ships headed directly at us at 19kts, the closer of the 2 crossing our bow less than a quarter mile away. The whole time we knew exactly what was happening and they knew we were there. (After reading this post, Walter on Red Head mentioned that they didn't actually see us on the AIS until we were both into the Santa Barbara Channel)

At some point late at night, something went "bang" and the pole got slack and the kite went up and out of control. We assumed the spectra that I had tied to the pole end had parted, so we quickly doused the 1.5. When I got the pole in, I saw that the loop I had tied was still there and in good shape. The winds had built to the mid 20s with some gusts in the high 20s, so we decided to hoist the 2.5 shy kite to play it safe. Shortly after this we lost sight of Red Head but felt sure that they were behind us.

At one point later in the night, the topping lift seemed to slip which caused the kite to become unstable enough to roll the boat into a round up. In the ensuing action, the spinnaker sheet somehow got above the end of the boom before it loaded up again. Now the sheet was against the leach of the main and every time the crew tried to ease the sheet and take up on the guy, the boat would become unmanageable. After a quick examination of the lines forward, it was discovered that the guy shackle had popped open on the round up and had come off of the clew of the spinnaker. With no way of taking the load off of the sheet, we decided to continue flying the chute with the sheet over the boom until it was light out and we were ready to go back to the full size kite.

We also decided that we would wait until it was light out to decide if we wanted to gybe or continue on starboard pole a bit longer. As the sky grew brighter, the seas changed a bit and became much more confused than they were in the dark of night. As we were getting everyone up for the spinnaker change, we spun out again, and before we could get back on our feet, the leech of shy kite managed to get sandwiched between the back of the main and the spreader. When the kite filled again, we left a panel of it behind the main. Surprisingly, the kite continued to hold as we assembled in our places for the douse. A normal douse ensued, and we decided to gybe and then set the full size 1.5 oz kite. It was blowing about 23kts, so we ground in the main about 75% of the way before slacking the vang a bit in preparation for throwing the main over. As the boom swung across and filled, we saw 5 of the luff sliders on the main crack off. Three of the sliders were on full size battens, and 2 were just on the luff. As we were examining the main and discussing how to prevent more sliders from going, we saw that our boom gooseneck was no longer attached to the mast. Uh oh.

We decided to use some spectra line to secure the gooseneck against the mast as we poled out the #3 headsail. After fashioning a fairly good lashing, we decided to see how we progressed and how things went with the #3 poled out. As the wind got lighter, it became obvious that we needed to re-set the spinnaker if we wanted to continue to race. We dropped the #3 and hoisted the 1.5 oz kite. We also tied a spectra loop from each reefing tack ring around the mast to help prevent the main from tearing completely off the mast. This also seemed to help. (After we got to Santa Barbara, Nick did a professional repair by over-drilling the goose neck and re-tapping the mast for slightly larger bolts).

As we were rolling along towards Pt Arguello, I heard Paul say "hey, look, whales!" then he said "oh shit, they're right there, don't hit them!" One of the whales surfaced less than 10 feet from our port side and rolled into a dive directly at our keel. At the last second, as we were bracing for impact, the whale's pectoral fin broke the surface as he tried to change course. We probably scared him as much as he scared us. To our surprise, he somehow avoided hitting us. There was another whale directly behind him and they both dove, not to be seen again. We are fairly sure they were Gray Whales, but it all happened a bit quickly.

As we continued down the course it was a challenge to keep a straight heading since the water and foggy sky blended together with no horizon. About 20 miles out it looked like we were going to have to gybe back onto starboard to go around Pt Conception, but we got headed and were able to make it around the corner. We could see sun drenched hills in the distance, but we were stuck in the fog. As it got dark, we headed into the Santa Barbara Channel while the winds slowly got lighter. We switched from the 1.5 kite all the way down to the light air .5 oz kite. This kept us moving along in the right direction straight down the shipping lane. In the wee hours of the morning, the wind got lighter and lighter and we got lifted up and were heading very slowly toward Goleta. We were quite sure that if we kept it up, we would park for a long time. We made the decision to gybe the .5 oz and expected to be heading straight south, away from the finish, but into stronger breeze. To our surprise, as soon as we gybed we got headed and ended up back on a course of 90 degrees.

Before it got light, we saw a set of navigation lights come up toward us from the southwest and stop a few miles away. We couldn't tell if it was a fishing boat or a sailboat. When it finally got light enough, we could make out the shape of a spinnaker and what looked like a dark hull. The only dark hull boat that could be around us would have been the Transpac 52 which started 25 hrs after us. Since we had spent over 40 hours on the course at this time, it was conceivable that they could have had a really fast race and come in from outside and below us. As we wondered why it was taking a TP52 so long to roll us, we saw that the dark hull was actually a dark headsail sitting on the foredeck. It was Red Head who had gone a little further to the south of the shipping channel and sailed up to us and out of their breeze.

Just for kicks, we turned off the AIS so they couldn't see if we were moving faster than them or not. For the next 3 or 4 hours, we concentrated on keeping the boat moving in very light and shifty breeze. Our goal was to keep ourselves between Red Head and the finish. When it became obvious that we needed to gybe into the finish, we did so and turned the AIS back on. We called in our 1hr-to-finish check in, and rolled across the line at 7:49am for an elapsed time of 44hrs and 49 minutes. This was good enough correct out in second place overall. Red Head finished about 25 minutes after us for third overall. Nice showing for the Cal 40s. We also collected the Edward J Milano Memorial Perpetual Trophy for being the fastest Encinal Yacht Club boat on corrected time. We also happened to be the only EYC boat in the race, but hey, we finished!

The big news of the race came early on. I announced to the crew that after the race, Shaman was going on the market. After 10 years of campaigning her, I have gotten a ton of use and enjoyment out of her. Although it has taken 10 years to get everything on Shaman exactly as I would like it, changing priorities and free time has caused me to use her less and less over the past few years. I'll miss her, but with any luck, I'll be able to crew for the next lucky owner of this awesome Cal 40.

| | More
On the water race update
06/14/2012, 20 nm off of Pt Arguello

Our goal was to finish this race in a respectable position without anyone getting seriously hurt or any equipment breaking. If any of you are familiar with this race, that's not always easy. Well, we might be in good position, and no one is seriously hurt, but we certainly have had some gear issues. So far we have only torn one spinnaker but we were just about to take it down and change to another one anyhow. More about the gear issues in the full write up this weekend.

We managed to get out the gate neck and neck with Red Head, trading leads several times until the got ahead of us on the last few tacks out to the turning mark in the shipping channel. They stayed ahead until after dark, but from what we could see, through the first half of the night their navigation lights seemed to drop slowly behind us. We changed from our 3/4 oz kite to our 1.5 oz one in the evening in anticipation of the 30kt winds we had forecast and were looking for. Well, we never got those winds, but we did see a lot of low 20s and some in the upper 20s.

In the wee hours of the morning, we had something give and our spinnaker got a bit out of control. We got it down and decided to hoist the shy kite instead. It was pitch black with no reference to drive from other than the compass and wind instruments. After day break, we woke everyone to prepare for a gybe and to re-hoist the big 1.5 oz kite. The seas were really confused and as we prepared, your's truely spun out. It was my first for the race, and as we were getting the boat back up, the shy kite tore. We dropped it and gybed.

During the gybe we had some serious gear issues so as we made "repairs" we poled out a jib. This lasted for an hour or two then we hoisted again. We have been on port pole since then and we just checked in with the committee via sat phone. Our rental phone came with 3 batteries which each only hold a 1 minute charge so the check-ins are fairly quick. We are heading into the corner but just got lifted so it looks like we'll have to gybe to get down into the Santa Barbara Channel.

If the weather forecasts are right, we should be ghosting in to the finish in the morning hours tomorrow. After some much needed sleep and celebration (we hope) I'll do a complete write up. So far spirits are high and we've has some good fun. Now for the tedious part.

| | More
Coastal Cup race from San Francisco to Santa Barbara starts tomorrow (Wed)
Steve Waterloo

Well, it's that time of year again. The annual race down the coast in what is usually a pretty wild ride. This year we finish in Santa Barbara, whereas last year it was Catalina. We are aiming for a better result than last year . You can follow the fleet for 277 nautical miles down the coast 2 ways: The committee provided, fleet wide transponder page that is delayed 4 hours, or the Spot transponder page which will show a live position of Shaman only. We'll be trying to update this blog via SSB email as well, conditions permitting.

We are going with 5 guys aboard this time. We have done it with as few as 4 and as many as 6, so 5 should be just fine. Joining me this year are Paul Sinz, Larry Duke, Kevin Clark and Nick Mason who is visiting from Australia. Nick had been living in the Bay Area for several years but moved home in 2009. Nick is very familiar with Shaman as he has done quite a bit of work on her in the first few years I owned her. Unfortunately Nick and I were never able to align schedules for him to join us on any racing, but he has a ton of experience on a huge variety of impressive boats. I can't wait to hear some of his stories from the Sydney to Hobart race. I've already heard all the stories from the other guys, many of them twice.

This year the committee has us slower boats in Division D along with the double handed boats starting on Wed, a day ahead of the rest of the boats. So far the weather is shaping up in classic Coastal Cup form. We should have moderate breeze to get us out the Golden Gate on a light ebb current, and out to the R8 buoy which must be left to port. This is the first buoy on the south side of the shipping channel coming into the Gate. Once off shore there will be as much wind as we could want. We may have to go as far as 30 miles offshore, but that is much closer than some years. Once we find good breeze of 25-30kts, we'll bear away and parallel shore.

Sometime before dark we'll have to make the call whether we are going to decrease sail area from the full size 1.5 oz spinnaker to the 2.5 oz shy kite. There is a good chance that in the wee hours of the morning we'll find ourselves a bit overpowered with winds in the 30s and a confused sea state. This is not a great time to be attempting a spinnaker change. As it is, since we'll want to be within 30 miles of shore, we'll probably have to gybe at least once during the night. We're going with a 2 pole set-up which allows for a much slower controlled gybe, but it's a lot easier with the smaller shy kite.

Assuming all goes well through the night, we'll carry the spinnaker all the way down past Pt Conception before heading east into the Santa Barbara Channel. This is where it can get tricky. After flying down the coast at speeds never intended for a Cal40, we most likely will experience a difficult light air finish. The winds blow down the coast from the NW and when they get to Pt Conception they accelerate around the corner, then form an eddy much like the water in a river after a bend. The stronger the offshore winds, the bigger and lighter the eddy. In past years we have hit Pt Conception with the GPS telling us we'll finish in 8 hrs only to have it be twice as long or more. I got some enthusiastic coaching from Panda over a few cocktails Fri night at EYC so I'm sure we'll be fine. At least that's what Dom said just before he bailed off the crew.

When we registered for the race we had 3 Cal40s in our class. Unfortunately Rodney on Azure had to withdraw since his oldest boy is graduating from middle school this weekend. Congrats RJ! That leaves us and Walter Smith's crew aboard Red Head to battle it out down the coast. We'll be paying attention to the other boats in our class and in the race, but it's really the other Cal40 that we want to beat boat for boat. Good luck Walter!

Check back tomorrow for updates from the water.

| | More
Midwinter #2 Dec, 2011
Steve Waterloo

Well, in spite of a steady breeze in the mid teens and warm temps, the race committee chose a really short course for our class, course #23. We started at the X buoy, went 2 miles to the East and rounded buoy 21 to port, then finished at the X buoy. Our elapsed time was 35:15 which hardly seemed worth all of the preparation and commute time to get there. We did get the gun and corrected out to 27:27 giving us a win with almost 2 minutes to spare. Our foredeck work was a little suspect, so a few more roundings to get the average up would have been nice. Oh well.

We were the first boat back to the docks, so we grabbed an empty slip and sat there chatting while eating lunch and having a few beers. The crew was nearly the same as last race with the exception of Mike B, and the addition of Phil and Lew. After the rock stars departed, Dom, Tom and I headed back to Alameda and put the boat away. The lighted yacht parade was that night and this year we decided not to try and rush around after the race and participate. Ironically we would have had the most prep time ever if we did participate. Next year...

I hit the wrong button on the GoPro, so no video or pics this race.

| | More
Midwinter #1 (Nov 2011)
Steve Waterloo
11/07/2011, GGYC

The weather cooperated and we had a great day of sailing for the first race of the GGYC Midwinter series. Aboard Shaman were Paul, Larry, Dominic, Mike, Bill, Tom R, Jimmy, and yours truly. With a few new guys, we took the opportunity to sail around a bit for the hour leading up to our start. A few tacks toward the Golden Gate, then a set with a couple gybes was enough to shake out the cob webs and dial things in. We also noticed a couple small rips in the ¾ oz spinnaker, so after we doused, Dom taped them up before packing the chute.

With a good ebb current building and better wind toward the right, we opted for a port start hoping everyone else would be a bit early to the pin and leave us enough room to take their sterns before the gun. Well, there were some stragglers on starboard, so we ducked them and crossed the line in clean air at the pin just a bit late. The course that the committee sent us (PHRF 4) on was course #3 which was a windward/leeward course heading to the west first with 2 laps for a total of 6 miles. As we were heading up toward the first weather rounding, we were on port and could see that the boats on the inside had gotten a lift off the beach. As we completed our second tack (back to port) we brought the spinnaker on deck to prepare for the starboard rounding. As we tacked back onto starboard, I scrambled to open the velcro on the spinnaker bag, raise the pole and pre-feed the guy. We were a bit late with the hoist, but as soon as we got it up, we started to stretch our legs. We stayed a bit more to the left as the rest of the class after rounding the mark at the back of the pack. Several of the other boats were flying asymmetrical kites, or were cat rigged with no kite, so they all went for a bit more speed through the water and headed further to the right. Not too far along we began to converge with them, but we were slightly behind. We first made a quick move by heading up and over the top of the Santana 35 Breakout, which put is directly behind Arcadia, a modified Santana 27.

As we past by the start line which was restricted, the majority of boats in our class were behind us and had to go pretty low to stay outside of the X buoy end of the line. They decided to tangle with each other a bit after getting around the pin which really helped us out. There were a lot of puffs coming from the beach as we headed toward the leeward mark so the pole went forward and back as we played the headers. Tom, who was calling tactics, did a great job at directing Paul, who was driving, down the course. We even managed to avoid a couple fishing boats that were bottom fishing right on our race course. The nerve!

We threw a gybe in just off of Ft. Mason but unfortunately the wind was very light, there was a wake from a fishing boat, and I didn't hear the call for the trip on the pole. When the main went over I realize I missed it, so I quickly tried to get the pole around and hooked up. It didn't go too well as the kite was semi-collapsed and after I called "made" the new guy dropped down and wrapped around the pole end. We had to scramble a bit to get it straightened out but it didn't seem to hurt us too much. The leeward rounding went pretty well. As soon as we were heading back upwind, we really stretched on the rest of the class. It's amazing how much the adverse current affects the boats going downwind and the push helped us separate as we went upwind. All of a sudden our small lead looked much better.

As we headed back toward the windward mark we got the kite packed and the gear/pole dragged back around to the other side to prepare for the next set. Our last leg into the windward mark was a bit longer on the second lap so I had plenty of time to get the pole set and the spinnaker ready for the hoist. Once again as we headed downwind there were a lot of puffy headers off the beach which allowed us to stay down with a great heading to the mark. On both of the windward port roundings we had done a bear-away set which left the genoa on the port side. Since we were also rounding the leeward mark to port, we had to drag the genoa to the starboard side for the hoist and spinnaker douse. I was a little concerned as we neared the mark that we seemed to be nearly headstay reaching while till on starboard. This would have made for a very fast and hard take down, but alas, the wind came back a bit and the whining from the front of the boat convinced the guys in the back that we should actually make room for a gybe to come into the mark on port. Thank god! The take down went well and we comfortably sailed to the finish with only 2 tacks.

After taking the gun, we started the clock and found that we had a 3.5 minute lead on Arcadia which meant that we should correct out in first. Sure enough, we held on to a minute and a half corrected win. Very happy all around on Shaman. After dousing the sails and handing out beers and sandwiches, we dropped off the rock stars at GGYC and headed for home. Hopefully we'll have the same crew next month and things will go as smoothly. After doing this write up, I wonder what was going on in the back of the boat.

| | More

Older ]


1966 Cal 40 Shaman
Port: Alameda, CA
View Complete Profile »
Photo Albums
27 July 2012
14 Photos
19 July 2011
5 Photos
Powered by SailBlogs