Callisti

09 August 2015 | Sidney BC
05 March 2013 | Tenacatita
01 December 2012 | N 'N:W 'E, Punta Mita
01 December 2012 | 'N: 'W, Enroute to Punta Mita
27 November 2012 | Chacala, Mexico
07 October 2012 | 32 43.6'N:117 12.1'W, San Diego
17 September 2012 | 34 27'N:120 26'W, Coho Anchorage California
16 September 2012 | 35 10'N:120 44'W, San Luis Obispo, California
27 August 2012 | 37 51'N:122 29'W, Sausalito California
05 August 2012 | Gabriola

Point Conception

17 September 2012 | 34 27'N:120 26'W, Coho Anchorage California
ROLAND
Well we're still here - stronger too! San Lois Obispo was a quiet, safe and restful anchorage. We could have stayed a lot longer but the weather sounded like a good day to pass Point Conception. Point Conception is known as "The Cape Horn of the Pacific". Sounds intimidating, and thus we were duly intimidated. Today's weather promised 5 to 10 knots with 2 to 4 foot swells. Boring to be sure, but boring sounds pretty good when you have been intimidated. Cape Horn of the Pacific ... yah sure.

We lifted the anchor at 07:00. There was only little fog which was a nice change. We motor sailed away in light winds and a gentle swell. About 10:00 the sun started breaking through and we could see we were off Vandenberg Air Force Base. A very impressive site which is a major launching point for the Pacific Missile Range. The Air Force announces activity (or lack of) in the area on channel 16. They refer to four different areas that are either safe or not safe to transit. It is worthwhile determining these areas on the chart prior to entering the area, although if you keep clear of the coast by three miles, you miss all danger areas. Their announcement on channel 16 is very quick and we missed the first one. A few hours later we heard them again and quickly brought out the Coast Pilot to determine where "area four" was. Apparently it wasn't a good place to be today. After scrambling to find and then plotting the co-ordinates for "danger area four", we were happy to see that we had just sailed out of area four after crossing at two miles out. It must have made us stronger ?

As we neared Point Arguello the wind started to pick up and soon we were sailing along in 15 knots of breeze with a wonderful blue sky and matching ocean. Perfect. The outside run from Point Arguella to Point Conception is about 14 miles. Halfway along, sailing happily away, Rebecca turns to congratulate us on making it past "The Cape Horn of the Pacific". "Not so fast" says I, "we still have seven miles to go". "Oh but everything is just perfect today and I can see Point Conception, what can go wrong"? Never ask "what can go wrong". The wind piped up a bit - nothing serious - 20 to 25 knots. Pleasant downwind sailing, waves were a bit bigger than predicted but not much. Point Conception was just two miles away - even I can see that far. No problems, but let's wait and see.

One mile away, "well I guess Rebecca was right - no problems". The air temperature was still only in the low 60's but we had watched the sea temperature rise from 52 degrees at the start of our day to 67 degr
ees - almost tropical. The water definitely had a tropical blue color to it. The wind was about 25 knots and the waves were maybe 5 feet. Perfect. Then we passed Point Conception. The wind picked up a bit, not much, but the waves really changed. Easy eight feet, and very steep. The first couple caught us congratulating ourselves and sent cushions and books scattering." Time to take the helm away from the auto pilot and hand steer through this mess." Lookout Bex, here comes a big one"! Splash, we had our second wave ever break over the transom. Glad to have the all around cockpit enclosure up today! Well that did prove to be the worst of it - some sort of smack on the ass for being cocky I guess. Next time we know better.

After Point Conception we turned into Coho Anchorage
- "a pleasant stop after the ordeal of passing Point Conception". Yah right. Swells were making their way into the anchorage where it was blowing a hard 25 knots with no protection except from the worst of the swells. The recent remains of two 40 something sailboats on their side on the beach was a silent reminder to make sure you set the anchor well, and oh, by the way, I hope you sleep well tonight.

One cold beer. The anchor is set. The wind IS whistling through the rigging. It IS sunny and warm. The beach here IS beautiful (it looks very tropical), and the water (almost warm) is a gorgeous blue green color never seen in the Pacific North West. Today wasn't really much of a challenge. We weren't killed. We are only stronger. Paradise?
Comments
Vessel Name: Callisti
Vessel Make/Model: Waterline 50
Hailing Port: Vancouver, Canada
Crew: Roland and Rebecca Thiel (and Stella)
Callisti's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 2 December 2014