SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Calou's Blog
Cruising with the crew of CALOU on the Baja Ha-ha and Pacific Puddle Jump
180 degree items completed
10/12/2006

Boat hardware should be secured in case of a rollover. A brass latch was installed to retain the companionway steps. Also, two brass latches were installed on the hatches for the house battery bank. So these items are secured in case of rollover.

Generally, concerning boat hardware, anything heavy must be secured so it doesn't come loose if the boat is inverted 180 degrees. First on this list are: batteries, stove, companionway steps. These are all now secured.

Also, both lazarettes have been secured with latches and weatherstripping, so that in case of capsize or flooding of the cockpit, the lazarettes are closed and watertight.

| | More
Windlass installation completed
Bruce
10/12/2006, Sausalito, CA

I completed the installation of the electric windlass, and its wiring. The photo shows the windlass mounted on the custom made bracket designed earlier. There's a switch in the anchor locker that raises or lowers the anchor. Next step is to get a new anchor rode; I'm thinking 150 ft of chain and 150 ft of nylon rode.

Meanwhile, Anderson's Boat yard is working on their stuff. The new prop shaft arrived today. Supposedly, tomorrow, the new prop shaft and dripless seal will be installed. Then we can reinstall the mast, after which I'll have to reconnect the wires for the radar and instruments.

| | More
Photos from CALOU
10/12/2006

this is a test

| | More
Lee cloths
10/11/2006

John also made the lee cloths. These have battens to keep the sides stiff, so fewer supporting lines will be needed. We used the same Sunbrella fabric.

| | More
spinnaker bag
10/11/2006

John designed and made a special bag for our spinnaker, so that it can be lashed to the deck (to save room below). The bag is elongated, designed to fit just forward of the mast. It has tabs on the corners so it can be lashed to the attachment points available on deck. It has a mesh bottom so it can drain water out. The rest is made of Sunbrella which is waterproof and UV resistant.

| | More
Solar Panel wiring and Controller
Bruce
10/11/2006, Sausalito, CA

As I mentioned, it turns out Anderson's says that the repair will be relatively simple and will be done by this Friday. So it's back to work in preparations.

Today I completed the installation of the wiring for the Solar Panel and its computerized controller. The controller (pictured above at right) converts the 28 volts, 7 amps from the solar panel to the 14 volts , 14 amps needed required for recharging, and is a 3-stage charger so overcharging of the batteries is not a worry. It has a digital display that indicates how many amps it's putting out. In the photo it's producing two amps--in the evening!

The black thing to the left of it is the circuit breaker for the electric windlass.

Crew member John made three lee cloths today and is working on an all-weather spinnaker bag so the spinnaker can be lashed to the deck.

| | More
windlass wiring
Bruce
10/09/2006

First of all I'd like to say how much I appreciate the comments that readers have left. With the frenzy of getting ready for this trip, which involve very long hours, I haven't had the time to reply to many of them. When we're sailing, I think we'll have more time.

I installed the wiring for the electric anchor windlass today. (Well, 95 percent of it). This includes two 4 gauge cables from the starter battery, to a circuit breaker in the cabin, and along the starboard side to the bow. Running these heavy cables is no small task. There's a relay in the forepeak which will switch the windlass up and down.

All that remains to be done tomorrow is install the control switch and the windlass itself in the anchor locker.

I designed a prototype for the windlass bracket, that raises it to the maximum height and places it in the exact location and angle required. The machinist appreciated having this 3 dimensional model to work from rather than the typical sketch.

You can see how the bracket turned out here.

| | More
Solar Panel
Bruce
10/08/2006, Sausalito, CA

Today, I got the solar panel mounted on the stern davits, with help from crew member John and a friend. This thing is about 5 feet by 3 feet. It's mounted on hinges so that it can tilt fore and aft about +/- 20 degrees. There are two locking piston-like devices that can lock the panel at any angle. These things are sold by West Marine for the purpose of adjusting the angle of an opening windshield on powerboats. They work perfectly.

I haven't connected the wires yet, since I'm awaiting the arrival of the charge controller, ETA Tuesday.

I also replaced the busted rope clutch on the mast for the jib halyard, going this time one size larger. Will add a block and cheek block so the halyard is brought into the cockpit.

| | More

Newer posts ]  |  [ Older posts ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs