SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Calou's Blog
Cruising with the crew of CALOU on the Baja Ha-ha and Pacific Puddle Jump
Dual fuel filters
Bruce
10/14/2006

I added a second Racor diesel fuel filter/water separator, and plumbed them in with a couple valves so that one can switch from one filter to the other without shutting down the engine. This is important since I've heard the fuel in Baja can be dirty. Also installed a vacuum gauge on the fuel line to monitor the condition of the filters. When a filter is clogged, the gauge will show it.

| | More
10/15/2006 | Ori Lahav
Hi Bruce
don't know if I notice that correctly in the picture, but is your diesel filters are above the engine exaust?

if so... it seems not safe to me. incase of a leak or during your maintenance they might dripp on the exaust and this is a very good reason for fire on board, which you probably want to prevent.

don't know if you can move them, if not just take high caution when handling them.

Ori
10/15/2006 | Bruce
Ori,
thanks for your concern, but what you see is the air intake plenum on the starboard side of the engine. The exhaust is on the other (port) side.
Bruce
The CYC Burgee
Michael
10/14/2006, CYC

Well, maybe you already have one, but this is a good way to test the image relay system, so there we go!

| | More
180 degree items completed
10/12/2006

Boat hardware should be secured in case of a rollover. A brass latch was installed to retain the companionway steps. Also, two brass latches were installed on the hatches for the house battery bank. So these items are secured in case of rollover.

Generally, concerning boat hardware, anything heavy must be secured so it doesn't come loose if the boat is inverted 180 degrees. First on this list are: batteries, stove, companionway steps. These are all now secured.

Also, both lazarettes have been secured with latches and weatherstripping, so that in case of capsize or flooding of the cockpit, the lazarettes are closed and watertight.

| | More
Windlass installation completed
Bruce
10/12/2006, Sausalito, CA

I completed the installation of the electric windlass, and its wiring. The photo shows the windlass mounted on the custom made bracket designed earlier. There's a switch in the anchor locker that raises or lowers the anchor. Next step is to get a new anchor rode; I'm thinking 150 ft of chain and 150 ft of nylon rode.

Meanwhile, Anderson's Boat yard is working on their stuff. The new prop shaft arrived today. Supposedly, tomorrow, the new prop shaft and dripless seal will be installed. Then we can reinstall the mast, after which I'll have to reconnect the wires for the radar and instruments.

| | More
Photos from CALOU
10/12/2006

this is a test

| | More
Lee cloths
10/11/2006

John also made the lee cloths. These have battens to keep the sides stiff, so fewer supporting lines will be needed. We used the same Sunbrella fabric.

| | More
spinnaker bag
10/11/2006

John designed and made a special bag for our spinnaker, so that it can be lashed to the deck (to save room below). The bag is elongated, designed to fit just forward of the mast. It has tabs on the corners so it can be lashed to the attachment points available on deck. It has a mesh bottom so it can drain water out. The rest is made of Sunbrella which is waterproof and UV resistant.

| | More
Solar Panel wiring and Controller
Bruce
10/11/2006, Sausalito, CA

As I mentioned, it turns out Anderson's says that the repair will be relatively simple and will be done by this Friday. So it's back to work in preparations.

Today I completed the installation of the wiring for the Solar Panel and its computerized controller. The controller (pictured above at right) converts the 28 volts, 7 amps from the solar panel to the 14 volts , 14 amps needed required for recharging, and is a 3-stage charger so overcharging of the batteries is not a worry. It has a digital display that indicates how many amps it's putting out. In the photo it's producing two amps--in the evening!

The black thing to the left of it is the circuit breaker for the electric windlass.

Crew member John made three lee cloths today and is working on an all-weather spinnaker bag so the spinnaker can be lashed to the deck.

| | More

Newer posts ]  |  [ Older posts ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs