Bookmark and Share
Calou's Blog
Cruising with the crew of CALOU on the Baja Ha-ha and Pacific Puddle Jump
Antoine on Deck

Heeeeeere's TO-TO!

| | More
10/22/2006 | Jan Meermans
The sea state appears a little different from when we brought our boat down from SF in June 4, 2005. We had seas 10-12' 8 second period, winds gusting to 38 knots! After 15 hours, we gave up and went into Monterey, came back two weeks later, and it was a piece of cake the rest of the way. We're going South with you and we'll look you up.
Jan and Vivian, Capriccio
Detour to Monterey
10/21/2006, Monterey Municipal Harbor

After we all got 3 hours sleep, we got up at 8 am in Santa Cruz, had ham and cheese omelettes for breakfast, showered, shopped for fishing tackle, and then left the harbor at about 11 a.m. The wind was 10 knots on the nose, coming from the south. It gradually built to 23 knots from the south with 10 foot seas every 14 seconds. Having to motor this way was pretty slow, the waves slowing our progress so our SOG was only 3.5 knots.

I prepared lunch for the crew, which was romaine salad with roquefort dressing, grated cheese, and freshly sauteed curried salmon cakes. It was a challenge cooking in the bucking seas. Everyone like it except Antoine, who made himself a peanut butter sandwich.

By 4:30 PM we had reached the southern end of Monterey Bay (about 20 miles). Since we were making little headway, and the forecast that the next day's winds would be lighter and from the north, we decided to hang a left and head to Monterey for the night.

So now we sit securef in Monterey Harbor at 6:30 PM, anticipating a relaxing evening and making a nice dinner of Cuban farm-style chicken and brocolli with cheese sauce.

Watching the forecasts for tomorrow, they predict north-west winds in the 5 to 10 knot range.

| | More
arrival at Santa Cruz
10/21/2006, Santa Cruz harbor

After our last message, we motorsailed a good length of the way, as we had north winds in the 5 knot range. Around sunset I prepared dinner which consisted of chile con carne (prepared in advance) and fresh green beans steamed in the pressure cooker. Finally around midnight the winds increased to 12 knots and we shut off the engine, sailing about 12 miles offshore on a broad reach and making about 6 knots. John and I alternated three hour shifts throughout the night while Pascale served as additional watch. The night was moonless which made it hard to see, but the brightness of the stars was dazzling. A green phosphorescent trail followed our boat, looking like an underwater neon sign. We had to make a few sharp turns to dodge approaching ships. The MARPA on the radar unit was a Godsend for avoiding ships. MARPA tracks other vessels and gives you their range, bearing, speed and direction.

We made landfall at Santa Cruz Harbor at 4:45 AM, October 21. The moon had still not risen, as it was scheduled to rise very briefly later this morning. 1558 hours on the engine (11 hours elapsed since we started with 1547 hours at Sausalito).

This morning I got up at 8:00 a.m. and am starting to make breakfast and check on our Sailmails while the rest of the crew sleeps.

| | More
10/21/2006 | Ori Lahav
these MARPA thing is indeed a great thing.
I used it a lot during service in the Israeli Navy.
one thing I do learned about it is not to replace it with eye watch and the good seamanship finger rules like: "green to green - red to read - don't be a shmock and keep ahead" and others. Although it shoes good and most of the time correct data. I was always checking true bearing changes to a ship in danger.

sail safely, and keep writing
envy you.
Ori Lahav
out the gate
10/20/2006, at sea

After a frantic day making last minute preparations at the dock, we finally fueled up in Sausalito and headed out at 2:30 PM. We saw 23 knots in the bay but this petered out to 10 knots from the west through the gate, and offshore, 5 knots from the north west. To make reasonable speed, we're motorsailing now, making 6 knots, heading due south. This is the first test of sending an email to our blog from offshore via the single sideband radio.

| | More
The Intrepid Crew Ready To Go

Once we got that last item from Radio Shack, we were ready to go! Go boat go!

| | More
getting down to the wire

we're getting down to the wire now! Got the boat out of Andersons, finally. Calou is in her home port. Tomorrow will be a frenetic day of cleaning, removing nonessential stuff from the boat, provisioning, and taking care of last minute chores and details. The list of things to do is very long. Can we get it all done in a day? I'm not sure. We'll give it our best shot.

| | More
the latest news

Anderson's put the boat back in the water today, and stepped the mast. Their diesel mechanic began the checkout of the engine. They recommended replacement of the raw water pump with new, which I ordered.

An unanticipated glitch, is that they poured the new Spar-Tite (this is an epoxy plastic that fills the gap between the mast and the deck), and Spar-Tite recommends 48 hours cure time before the rigging is tensioned. So this means another two days before they can tension the standing rigging. This pushes us back another day, but, oh well, there's nothing we can do about that now.

With the mast back in, I re-connected all the mast electronic cables (radar, masthead instruments, and mast lights).

| | More
10/19/2006 | Bruce
I guess 48 hours wasn't needed, because they tensioned the rig 24 hours later (much to my relief).

Newer posts ]  |  [ Older posts ]


Powered by SailBlogs