Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Brunswick, Ga

28 January 2016
Life moves at its own slow pace at the Brunswick Landing Marina (http://www.brunswicklandingmarina.com/)and it's hard to believe that we have been here over a week. The facilities and staff at this very well laid out, cruiser friendly, hurricane hole make it hard to leave. It could also be the $1.49/gallon diesel, or the $1.50/foot transient dockage that includes free wifi, free laundry, and free happy hour three times a week, Brilliant! There are also cruisers parties, yoga, Spanish lessons, movie nights, and more. There is something for everyone here.

As today's temperature hangs in the mid-sixties & Jeff finishes washing down topside, it's hard to believe that only a few days ago it was 28 degrees, here. As we huddled under a blanket with the heater going enjoying the warmth of a cup of tea we wondered if we left St. Augustine too early. Maybe, but then again there was snow in Gainesville, Fl. We still remember when we lived in Jacksonville many years ago and it snowed one Easter Morning. We are prepared for more cold weather as we head north again, possibly as early as this weekend. It is an El Nino year and it is still January!

So, we are thankful for this break in the weather and do some exploring. Immediately it is easy to see that "Old Town" Brunswick is very similar to "Old Town" Savannah. The reason lies with General James Oglethorpe who was the colonies founder. In 1771, the City of Brunswick was laid out according to the "Oglethorpe Plan". This plan as it's known is designed to feature the towns 14 squares in a grid like plan. These squares, both large and small, are all over Old Town and created permanent, park-like common areas every few blocks. Well, if that verbiage sounds like it came from a historical marker, it did, but it summarizes the layout of the town perfectly.



The waterfront property where the marina stands today has its own historical significance. In 1789, long before tug boats and steam engines, President George Washington designated the Port of Brunswick one of five original ports of entry for America. During World War II the port and accompanying shipyard employed 16,000 workers and produced ninety-nine Liberty Ships. A Liberty Ship Memorial seems all that is left however, as you walk along the seawall at low tide you can still see the remains from the old wharfs half buried in the mud. Today the port is not as busy as you might think but car carriers and container ships still transit St. Simons Sound requiring a sharp lookout or at least AIS.



The property where a shipyard once stood has been transformed into the Mary Ross Waterfront Park. Three times a week the Old Town Farmers Market hosts craftsmen and farmers selling the fruit of their efforts.



Walking around Old Town we found a contrast of thriving small shops and cafe's combined with empty buildings, some with renovation in progress. With all this going on you don't have to go far to find the smells of a good meal. For us we were drawn into the Island Jerk Shack. Here, for $6, Wendy got their signature dish of Jerk Chicken. Jeff had the Curry Goat and both were served with plantains, steamed cabbage, and peas & rice. No need for dinner that night!





On Sunday, with banks and government buildings closed, this area is a ghost town but it gave us a great opportunity to take a self-guided walking tour after church. We started at the Old City Hall building, circa 1889. This massive building has a great deal of detail including gargoyles & angels, appropriate for a City Hall Building.



We explored the older historic residential area and stumbled across the Lovers' Tree. According to local legend, this enormous 900 year old oak served as a meeting place for those who would meet and kiss their true love under its branches.



Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016