Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Ireland's Oldest City

22 March 2017 | Kilkenny, Ireland
The snow & slush that fell overnight had just melted as we left Waterford on the 1100 train to Kilkenny. While on the train we could see the snow capped hills in the background. Burr, we had so many layers of clothes on that we could have been stunt doubles for the Stay Puff Marsh-Mellow Man. At least we had more clothes in our bags, than on.


About 30 minutes later we arrived in Kilkenny and soon found our way to the Tourist Information (TI) Center. We asked for a map, but what we really wanted was for them to hold our bags, just as they did in Cashel. We were surprised to hear the reply of, no. We were told that it was a new policy for "health & safety". Little did anyone suspect, several hours later, there would be a horrific terrorist attack in London.

Since we arrived hours before our check in time of 1500, we had tea, soup, and brown bread at Syd's (Sid's) Pub then headed to tour the famous Kilkenny Castle. Before paying we asked about leaving our backpacks with the ticket agent while we toured. We explained that we didn't want to accidentally knock over an 18th century treasure. They were more than happy to hold them for us.


Kilkenny is the oldest city in Ireland and the original castle was a wooden structure built in 1173 by Richard De Clair, known as Strongbow. But after that structure was destroyed a new, more per permanent stone castle was built, in 1213. Much of it survives today.

In 1391, the castle's title was transferred to the Butler Family. It was eventually modified to imitate a French Chalet and became a stately home. It entertained wealthy guests and dignitaries, including King Edward VII, in 1904.




However, it fell into disrepair and most the items inside were auctioned off. Finally, the "Keys" were transferred to the people of Kilkenny, to be managed by the Department of Public Works (DPW), in 1967 for the price of £50. Today's the Castle continues to be restored but for the most part it has been returned to its 18th century grandeur.

Several hours later, we knocked on a big red door with the shiny brass #83, on Upper Patrick Street. This was the home of Corey & Nadia, our Air B & B hosts for the next few days. We knew they were at work but Nadia's mom was visiting with them and would be there to greet us.

"Welcome" she said with a twinkle in her eye, arms wide open, and even a bigger smile. What a greeting! We very quickly learned that Nadia's mom was from Bulgaria and spoke very little English. She soon learned that we spoke no Bulgarian. No worries, a smile & hand signals worked as our best translator.

After showing us our room we settled in, unpacking a bit. We had a wonderful cup of coffee and some delicious chocolate chip cookies. With a map in hand we set out to explore some more.

Later, we met up with Nadia who recommended Kytelers (Ket-ners) Pub for dinner (http://www.kytelersinn.com). Another Trad Pub we took the last table in the large main seating area. Good choice, as a pint of Kilkenny Beer showed up, the musicians started playing. We had boiled bacon & cabbage (yes again, but it's really good) and a bookmakers sandwich (kind of a stake sandwich with onions & mushrooms). Food, music, atmosphere, all great!

After walking over 7 miles today we think we coverd much of the city center. Returning to #83, we got together with Corey, Nadia, her mom, and Corey's brother. The six of us chatted for about an hour and we were instantly made to feel like part of the family.

Tomorrow, we are off again, glad we have good walking shoes, to explore the Medieval Mile.

Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages,
Wendy & Jeff
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016