Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Fastnet

07 April 2017 | Portsmouth, England
Portsmouth is still a town with a strong connections to sailing and the sea. So, it's not unusual that we spent some of our last hours walking the docks & looking at boats.


There are a number of racing sailboats here. They all seem to be grouped in teams each with a different sponsor's logo on the hull. Based at various marinas in the area, each team seems to be campaigning 4 boats.


After a little research we found that crews are training for the Solent-Fastnet-Plymouth Race. The Solent is the body of water between Portsmouth Harbor & the Isle of Wight. The Harbor is the perfect training base for crews, and a staging point for this race which starts August 6th.

This 600+ mile race around Fastnet Rock, off Ireland, has been going on since 1925, but it was the 1979 race that is remembered. It was during that race that a huge storm with Force 10 (63 mph) winds pummeled the fleet, killing 18, including three rescuers. Of the 306 yachts, 5 were sunk, 100 were knocked down, and 77 rolled completely upside down or "Turtled".


Portsmouth is also the home base for British sailor, Alex Thomson. http://www.alexthomsonracing.com & his boat, HUGO BOSS, named for the high end clothing retailer that sponsors him. This boat looks more like a seagoing skateboard!


He returned on January 20th, from a "Round the World Alone" race, not on either one of our bucket lists! He finished in 74 days, 19 hours and 35 minutes. This breaks the British record of 80 days, in a monohull. Surprisingly, he placed second in the race! Check out the You Tube from the race!


Talk about contrast! Our final ship tour while at Portsmouth Historic Docks, was the HMS Warrior. This 418' steel hulled ship was the first of an Ironclad Series . She was built in 1890, she was the biggest British warship of its day. In service until 1979, she never fired a shot in anger. The " Big Stick" philosophy worked again!


Commissioned only 95 years after HMS Victory, it was a technological marvel incorporating wind & steam propulsion.


It's boilers produced enough steam to drive the twin piston engine pushing her along at 14 knots with a range of 2100 nautical miles.

Another innovative feature when under just sail, the huge twin bladed screw could be lifted off the shaft to avoid drag. No easy feat, it required the entire crew heaving on block & tackles to lift the 26 ton propeller into it's housing. As Nelson said," England required every man to do his duty".

We are off to Stratford Upon the Avon.

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016