Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Champagne

12 April 2017 | Chartwell, England
We left the Dover Priory Rail Station at 0949. Our destination was Sevenoaks, a town on the outskirts of London. From here we would take a 6 mile taxi ride to the home of Sir Winston Churchill.


This National Trust site is continually undergoing upkeep, especially before the "high season" starts next month. On our visit the ivy that usually covers the east side of the house was removed, & new wooden latticework installed. This project was to help preserve the brick.


Also, scaffolding covered the west side to do some needed roofing repair.


Regardless of the construction on the property the near perfect weather and a "school holiday" brought hundreds of people to enjoy the grounds of Chartwell.

Records show a structure was on this site as far back as 1362 and parts of Churchill's study contain ceiling beams that date back to the early 1500's. Purchased in 1929 for £5000, Winston and his wife, Clementine, lived on this 80 acre estate there until his death in 1965.


Aside from the years during WWII, when Chartwell was only maintained by minimal staff, this was a retreat from running the country. It was his garden, and art studio.


He painstakingly planned every aspect of the estate, including the ponds. He said that, "a day away from Chartwell was a waisted day".

Born in 1874, as young man, Churchill joined the British Calvary and saw heavy fighting in several theaters of war. During the Bore War (Africa) he was taken prisoner & later escaped. After that, his unique ability to word smith lead to success as a War Correspondent. He was known for going behind the lines with troops and, "getting in the thick of it" to see the story he wrote about.


Churchill entered a career in politics in 1900. During WWI he served as First Lord of the Admiralty but later resigned after a very bloody and disastrous defeat at Gallipoli (Ga-lip-o-lee). One of the ships we saw while at Portsmouth Historic Docks was used during the fierce fighting in that area of Turkey.


He had many different positions in British National Politics before becoming Prime Minister. As a creative outlet from public service, he sculpted and "dabbled" in watercolours, but he preferred painting with oil.

Like other artists, he was a very prolific painter. He produced over 500 known paintings, mostly unsigned. He parted with many of his paintings, often giving them as birthday, graduation, or wedding gifts to close friends & family. A full account of his inventory is unknown and, one docent speculated that some of his paintings are held by unsuspecting owners, "maybe even in an attic".


The interior of Churchill's house is off limits to cameras. However not seeing the sign, Jeff snapped this photo of a painting of Sir Winston. It was taken in Lady Churchill's Sitting Room, before being spanked by security. =:0

As we walk around the estate, it was easy to see Sir Winston Churchill as more than a common politician. A statesman, orator, designer, and artist all rolled into a unique zest for life which can summed up by one of his quotes. "I could not live without Champagne. In victory I deserve it. In defeat I need it".

Off to Edinburgh!

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Wendy & Jeff
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016