Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

19357 Steps

14 April 2017 | Edinburgh, Scotland
On a brisk Thursday morning the temperature was 47F & the wind was blowing at 15 out of the West. We put on several layers of clothes for a morning climb. We were not going for a climb of a cliff or sheer face of a mountain, like you see people do at Yosemite, but more of a hike at a fairly steep incline on a rock covered trail. We were off the see Arthur's Seat.


About a mile from City Center this group of hills was formed by volcanic activity 341 to 335 million years ago. With all the mythology and historical lore you could imagine, Camelot & all, Arthur's Seat & the Salisbury Crags next to it are now part of the 650 acre Holyrood Park.


At the summit, we set off the SPOT, and took this video. It was then that we realized we took a trail that lead us to the top of the smaller Salisbury Crag, but it didn't matter, because the view was stunning!

Feeling energized after our climb, we went back to our AirBnB, pealed off a few layers of clothes, and were ready for our next adventure.

We arrived at the Castle, at 1330, to see the huge crowds leaving, or so we thought. But this was Spring Break, European style, and thousands were here enjoying this wonderful city and the weather.

As we "qued up" for tickets, it resembled the back & forth lines of something you would see at a prime Disney attraction. We quietly listened to the excitement of young and old in many different languages, as we waited.

Standing at an elevation of 130 meters the Castle is the focal point of the city. Some type of structure has stood on this site since the 2nd Century AD. Today, the oldest structure is the small, St. Margaret's chapel built in the 12th century by Charles I. The Castle was used as a royal residence until 1633.

Given it's location, Edinburgh Castle is one of the "most important strongholds" in Scotland. The Castle has seen 26 sieges, including the 14th century, Scottish War of Independence and Jacobite Rebellion of 1745. It claims to be, "the most besieged place in Great Britain and one of the most attacked in the world". Today the Army still retains responsibility for the Castle, but the garrisons role is mainly in support of ceremonial events.


The walls are lined with cannons used for defense, at one time or another, including Mons Meg. This siege gun weighing 13,000 pounds was built in 1449. It shot a 330 pound stone cannonball nearly 2 miles.


Before Scotland & England merged together in 1707 forming The United Kingdom, the crowning of Scottish Royalty has taken place at the Castle, including Robert the Bruce in 1306, think of the movie Brave Heart.


The Castle houses the Scottish Royal Crown, Sword, & Scepter.


the Scottish War Museum,


and another national treasure, Scotch!

After walking nearly 8 miles today (19357 steps) of rock cliffs & cobble stone streets, we were ready for a break. A Stake & Ale Pie washed down with some semi-local brew revived us for the walk back to our BnB.

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016