Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Dolly

18 April 2017 | Edinburgh, Scotland
Monday was a "Bank Holiday" in the U.K. but it seemed that the only things closed were Banks, schools, & the Post.

We travelled to the Scottish National Museum. Several years ago, while anchored in Washington DC, we spent almost a week touring the Smithsonian. So, how long would it take to explore this newly renovated museum? We would soon find out. The answer, longer than we thought!

Founded in 1854, it has always had free admission. Using a philosophy that a better educated workforce makes better workers, the museum has always had extended hours and easy access for the general public.

Funded by benefactors and the National Lottery the museum just completed a £50 Million, renovation. This added a 5-story addition that houses the Scottish History Exhibit reaching back to the beginning of time.


Static displays and interactive exhibits have something for everyone.


These modern robust looking figures were designed by a Scottish Artist to house and display many artifacts from Scotlands early history.


Even the floor of the once, main entrance, is an exhibit. At first you think the floor has never been washed as there are dark spots everywhere. Then, on closer study, we discovered it's made of massive sandstone tiles, each containing fossilized creatures from long ago.


There are other of items of national history and significance including rockets, cars, dinosaurs and stone tools from 4000BC, and earlier.


They even have Dolly, the cloned sheep here. (Stuffed that is...;)


This is a modern tapestry made entirely of Scottish wool. The interesting thing is there were no dyes used on the wool but over 100 different shades, from different regions blended together to create the shading in this winter scene.

On Tuesday, we are off on a day trip to Paisley, near Glasgow. The guy that makes the anchor windlass we use has offered to give us a tour of his work shop.

Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages,
Wendy & Jeff
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016