Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Pot of Gold

15 May 2017 | Doolin, Ireland
The geologic history of this region goes back to when Ireland was underwater, in a tropical sea, over 350 million years ago. Jumping ahead a few million years, porous limestone, mainly calcium carbonate (CaCO3) formed between a denser rock. Caverns were created as the limestone was eroded away by rain fed streams. This particular area in Western Ireland is known as, The Burren.

In 1952, 12 spelunkers (cave explorers) from the Craven Hill Potholing Club, of Yorkshire Dales Great Britain, set off on an adventure to explore the underworld of, The Burren.

One Sunday morning, two of the 12, Brian Varley and J.M. Dickenson, decided to explore near a cliff they saw the previous day. These young men followed a small stream that disappeared into the ground, under some rocks.

Hot on the trail, they dug through the rocky soil finally coming to a small opening. Armed with nothing more then oil head lamps they entered the hole head first. Crawling about 500 meters in a narrow passageway they described as "a knee wrecking and miserable crawl”, when they tried to turn around they couldn't. They discussed their options, either keep going or crawl backwards.

Then, ahead, in the darkness, they heard their voices echoing. Thinking it was a chamber where they could stand up, stretch, spin around, and return to the daylight, they pressed on. It was a chamber and when they stood up, shined their lamps around, they saw this huge Stalactite, which became the centerpiece of Doolin Cave.


Saturday morning, we set off on our own exploration, the goal to find a cave! In this remote part of Ireland, taxis are invisible and busses run on an every two-ish hour schedule. Facing an 8 mile round trip walk, we decided on renting bikes. It was the perfect solution!

Our challenge, however, was navigating the cars, tour busses, & caravans (RV's) traveling these one-lane country roads. The rain held off as we went on our mostly, up-hill journey to Doolin Cave.

After a brief history our guide, Owen-no similarities, took us into the cave. Today, instead of crawling face first into the darkness, we climbed down a long staircase to the cave floor, nearly 200 feet down.

Here we put on hard hats and followed a tunnel,


dug using a method of drilling holes and shooting pressurized air into them, limiting vibration and possible damage to the treasures inside the cave.


We followed the same stream those two explorers followed 65 years ago,




The Doolin Cave Stalactite is one of the biggest in the world. Formed as water deposited minerals along its 23 foot, 10+ ton body, the Stalactite grows at a rate of 1 inch per 1000 years.


When water stops flowing over a certain part of the Stalactite growth stops, the color changes from pure white to a gray, and that part of the formation is considered dead.


Evidence that this cave existed, underwater is found in the fossils along the walls, like this piece of coral.


Returning topside, liquid sunshine awaited us. Our ride back in the chilly mist was at least, downhill all the way. After returning our bikes we thought a bowl of soup at a local pub would warm things up. As we entered O'Connors Pub ten local Trad Musicians strolled in behind us, set up, and started an afternoon jam session.


We later found out that these guys only get together twice a year! What an afternoon and how lucky could we be! As we listened to hours of traditional Irish music we realized that there really is a Pot of Gold, in Doolin!

Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016