Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

A Special Place

08 November 2017 | Harbor Village Bonaire
Monday, the Trade Winds which are usually forecast at 15-18 knots were blowing hard. We looked at our options; a very bumpy boat ride to a snorkel site or a very cloudy shore entry, we opted for neither.

Setting out on foot we went for the road less travelled following the roads through a nearby neighborhood. Colorful homes, each personalized with colorful gardens, and accessories displaying the interest of the owners. It was not surprising to see this SCUBA Tank mail box in several styles & colors!


On this arid rocky island there aren’t any plush lawns. Water comes at a premium either made at the island desalinization plant or caught in above ground tanks during the morning rains that seem to come & go like clockwork.


Despite a lack of irrigation, gardening using the Caribbean’s native plants has become an art form unto itself.



One of our destination stops was The Bonaire Sea Turtle Conservation Center Not looking like much from the outside but after 15 minutes talking with Ki, a director, we soon found this to be the “nerve center” for the organization. Ki works with volunteers who track, and sometimes even protect, over 125 Sea Turtle nests on Bonaire. Some of these species are listed as Extremely Endangered and it’s impressive how the Bonaire Sea Turtle Conservation Center works with other organizations in other nations, including Cuba and the United States, to help protect these last of a kind majestic creatures.

Turtles aren’t the only species that make Bonaire their home. From Flamingoes,



to Parrots,


to Great Frigate Birds, with their distinguishing red chest feathers, Bonaire hosts a healthy bird population.



Cactus, too, is plentiful and seems to easily grow wild in the rocky limestone soil.


The enterprising Bonairian people found a use for excess cactus....;)



Later, at the waters edge, as the parrots sang the sun to sleep, the wind blew a tune through the coconut palms. We looked out over the horizon with the unspoken thoughts of, “this is a special place”.


Fair Winds and Quiet anchorages,
Wendy & Jeff
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016