Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Pine Island (ICW Mile 765)

07 April 2014 | At Anchor
After four great days in St. Augustine it was time to continue north. We are anchored in an oxbow which was once part of the ICW until a shortcut was dug many years ago. Our plan is to stay in this protected anchorage until the latest cold front with strong thunderstorms and wind passes.

Thursday evening we picked up mooring #41 after an all day run on the waterway. We left Daytona, that morning, passing through two opening bridges at 0700, before their restricted opening hours began.

Our original plan was to stop at Palm Coast Marina around mile 803. However, the tide was in our favor and we screamed past the marina at noon.

Where to now? We anticipated anchoring at the National Historic site of Ft. Matanzas. In the 1500's this was one of the southern outposts which helped protect St. Augustine. We have always wanted to anchor off the old fort but for one reason or another we keep passing it by.

From the ICW, the river leading to the fort runs SE to an inlet on the coast. A strong SE wind off the ocean drove a steep fetch into the river, were we planned to anchor. It would have made for a bumpy and sleepless night. So, we turned and re-entered the ICW heading for St. Augustine.

Pulling into the mooring field we could not help but notice the 170-foot, 495-ton, authentic wooden replica of a galleon that was part of Spain’s West Indies fleet. Named El Galeón she is visiting St Augustine and three other Florida ports as part of The Viva Florida 500 Voyage.

Owned by the Nao Victoria Foundation of Sevilla, Spain El Galeón is sailing a historic route similar to that of Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León’s 500 years ago.

Next to Charleston, St. Augustine has to be one of our favorite stops. Like Charleston the area is steeped in history. Once off the beaten track we strolled the old residential streets with old Live Oak trees, some 6-10' in diameter.

We also were able to meet up with our oldest friends, Jim & Jean. It is always great to see them to share stories & adventures. Our 3 hour dinner tested the patience of the waitstaff but they were well rewarded for any inconvenience.

We had to resist the urge, as always, to eat our way through the city. Our new favorite is Theo's were they made a fabulous Sunday morning Greek omelet.

Our next big stop remains Cumberland Island, Ga. From there we will continue north either on the ICW, off shore, or a little of both.

More Later,
US
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016