Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Back on the Neuse

04 May 2014 | MCAS Cherry Point
This will be our last blog entry for the summer. With our summer jobs, some traveling overseas, and a long list of boat projects we will be very busy. We have been pushing to get back to our summer dockage off the Neuse River.

Severe thunderstorms and other associated ugly weather was in the forecast and we didn't want any part of it. While getting fuel in Little River, SC we discovered one of our pintails was broken. This solid bronze fitting is one of three supports that attaches the rudder to the hull. We had no idea how it broke or even when. It needed to get fixed, but how and when were questions that didn't have answers!

The closest large yard with facilities to remove the rudder was in Wilmington, NC. Looking at the distance, by the time we got there we could be back at Cherry Point and the yards in Oriental. After a quick phone call to friends Jim & Jeanne, who gave us a shot of confidence, we knew that continuing north was the right action.

We secured the rudder to CALYPSO. This safety was in the event the other two supports broke we would not lose the entire rudder. Although prudent, every time we looked aft it just reminded us that we may be moments from a very serious problem.

It was nice to enter the familiar waters of the Neuse River and head towards Cherry Point. With a major sigh we arrived at Hancock Marina about 1640, Monday. 

Fair winds & quiet anchorages,
US
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016