Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Cumberland Island (ICW Mile 711)

06 November 2015
We left the  River near Mosquito Creek (ICW Mile 513) headed for Beaufort, SC. This leg of the trip includes one of the skinniest, water depth, sections on the ICW.

We pulled the anchor up at the half rising tide and crossed through the Ashepoo-Coosaw Cutoff with only a foot or two below us in spots. We certainly would not want to do this area on a falling tide. The added benefit was we now rode the incoming tide another 12 miles to Beaufort.

The Lady's Island Swing Bridge crosses the ICW at mile 536. It's restricted opening times do not allow any openings during rush hour, 1600-1800, even to include commercial vessels. Regular openings are on the hour only, so guess when we got there? 1415! The next opening was 1500 guess it could have been worse.

We circled with other boats chatting as we passed back and forth, first in one direction, then the other. The only frustrating part was at times there was no traffic on the bridge at all. Oh well, more forced relaxation!

Once through the bridge, we anchored in a lovily little shoal area in the Beaufort River across from the Naval Hospital. The next morning before sunrise and while the Marines at Parris Island did morning PT & target practice, we were underway heading off shore. Destination, St. Augustine from Port Royal Sound.

It wasn't one of our calmest off shore runs. In fact it was lumpy and wet including rain, fog, mist, pretty much yucky! As the 6-12 knot forcast winds increased to 20+ at times and what was suppose to be 2-3' seas built to 4-5' we could just imagine a weatherman like Larry saying," it should be wonderful tomorrow!"

To maintain a comfortable ride we were pushed further and further offshore. This seemed ok since we believed the winds would eventually turn southerly allowing us to angle back inland. At one point we were 22 miles off St. Catherine Sound when we spotted an object. At first it looked like a half sunk boat but it was a medal container. Yaks!

We estimated it to be a standard 30'x8'x8 steel box with a large portion of the lid ripped open. Hit that at night and you would be like Robert Redford in that horable sailboat movie, ALL IS LOST!

We called the Coast Guard and Sector Charleston responded. For the longest time the little girl on the radio seemed to think we were in the ICW not 22 miles offshore. Finially, "is it a hazard to navigation?", she asked. "It's 30' long, steel, floating 2' above the surface of the water, ya!" was our reply. Soon after that they released a Security Call Notice warning off shore Mariners about it.

Our good deed of the trip completed it was time to find dry land! We could go another 50 miles to St. Augustine or angle in and go 20 to Cumberland Island. So, here we are!

We will spend a couple days here before heading to St. Augustine. Once there we will get a mooring which are by reservation only this time of year. We will also do laundry, get ice, visit friends, and pick up our mail. Until then we will spend time exploring not only the island but an oil leak that developed while underway.

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages, 
US
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016