Thalia

14 October 2016 | Staunton, VA
21 August 2016 | Bert Jabin Yacht Yard in Annapolis, MD
08 July 2016 | Bert Jabin Yacht Yard in Annapolis, MD
14 June 2016 | Charlottlesville, VA
03 April 2016 | Saint Petersburg, Florida
15 February 2016 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 December 2015 | Charleston Maritime Center, Charleston, SC
03 December 2015 | Oriental, NC
23 October 2015 | Portsmouth, VA
24 September 2015 | Cape Henlopen
02 September 2015 | Rockport, MA
27 July 2015 | Salem River, New Jersey
14 June 2015 | Oxford, Maryland
21 May 2015 | Charleston Maritime Center, Charleston, SC
09 May 2015 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
04 May 2015 | Hope Town, Abacos, Bahamas
13 April 2015 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 March 2015 | The Bight Anchorage, Cat Island, Bahamas
28 February 2015 | Staniel Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
17 February 2015 | Highborne Cay, Exumas, Bahamas

Waiting for Joaquin

23 October 2015 | Portsmouth, VA
Caroline / 68º, clear skies, wind 10kts NNE
Our rather uncomfortable ride from Block Island to the Delaware River turned out to be well timed, indeed. Although we did that passage with stronger winds and higher seas than we'd like, it turns out we would probably have gotten stuck there for at least a few weeks if we'd waited. While we were bashing south along the New Jersey coastline, a tropical storm down in the Bahamas was organizing itself into a Category 4 hurricane soon to be named Joaquin.


Sunset at Cape Henlopen, at the mouth of the Delaware River, the night we traveled up the river toward the Chesapeake Bay via the C&D Canal.

We left Cape Henlopen at the mouth of the Delaware River at 2:30 am on September 25 to take advantage of a strong flood current that helped shoot us up the river at a good clip to the C&D Canal, which connects the river to the northern reaches of the Chesapeake Bay. Had we chosen to keep going on the Delaware, we would have ended up in Philadelphia. Perhaps another time...

Once we reached the Chesapeake in the afternoon, we still had four hours to go to reach our destination in the Sassafras River. Normally we anchor out about a mile up the river after this passage, but weather predictions at this point were becoming increasingly urgent. Joaquin was now a Category 3 hurricane about to hit the outer Bahamian islands, with most weather models projecting a northwest trajectory that would propel the storm directly onto the U.S. mid-Atlantic shore. So we opted to travel eight miles up the Sassafras to tie up at the Georgetown Yacht Basin, an out-of-the way but nice marina whose waters were about as protected as we were going to find, under the circumstances.


Pretty farms dot the shores of the Sassafras River.

The ride up that river is lovely; it winds and twists, gradually narrowing as it meanders past woods, fields, and waterfront homes on slow-moving, clear, jade-green water. However, we were much too exhausted after 15 hours of nonstop travel to really appreciate the last few hours of that journey. We arrived at last around 6:00 pm, tied up, showered, and trudged up the hill to the local B&B and restaurant, Kitty Knight House, where we gratefully tucked into a hot and quite delicious meal.

At the marina office the next morning, we signed up for a four night stay, and settled down to work on various boat projects while we waited for Joaquin to make up its mind where it was going. But those four nights stretched into a week and, ultimately, ten days as we waited out the capricious hurricane. Now a Category 4 hurricane, it roared through the Bahamas and headed toward U.S. shores. At the same time, a strong nor'easter bore down upon us, bringing 30 knot winds and very cold temperatures.

The nor'easter turned out to be the worst thing we'd face. Eventually, the Euro weather prediction model was vindicated in predicting that Joaquin would veer away from our coastline and head northeast toward Bermuda and out to sea. Not knowing that, however, folks all along the eastern seaboard began locking down. Our favorite boatyard in Oriental, NC, Deaton Yacht Service, told us on the phone that they were in full hurricane lockdown mode, hauling out every boat and securing them on land, removing all sails and canvas and anything else that might get blown away.

This got us to thinking that if we did get in the path of the storm, we'd have a lot of work on our hands. We'd have to deflate our dinghy and lash it down on deck, take down all our sails as well as anything that might get damaged or blown away: canvas covering our bimini and dodger, extra lines, the gas can, you name it. And then we'd likely have to leave the boat and go stay in the B&B. Our boat was already secured to pilings with six different lines, but waters were rising at an alarming rate, exacerbated by the strong pull of the blood moon. Predictions were for those fixed docks to be as much as eight feet under water, obviously posing a significant challenge to keeping Thalia securely tied to the six foot tall pilings. A 90' motor yacht docked across from us actually arranged to be hauled out in anticipation of the storm. We couldn't even imagine how many thousands of dollars that must have cost, and fervently hoped we wouldn't regret not having done the same despite not being able to afford it.


I worked on perfecting my whole grain bread recipe while waiting out the weather. Not only did it taste good - we used the freshly milled rye and wheat flours we bought in Maine - but the oven helped keep our cabin toasty.

As temperatures dropped and winds rose, we realized we couldn't use our onboard diesel heater - our only source of warmth onboard - because high winds tend to extinguish it, filling the cabin with acrid smoke. So we settled for lots of layers of clothes and a large pot of black bean soup to stay as warm as we could. At one point when we started shivering we broke out our heat gun (used for removing varnish) and turned that on, sitting it upright on our salon table to get us a few degrees of comfort.


Captain Enzo sporting his new alpaca sweater, which I worked steadily on to try to finish while in Georgetown. I didn't get it finished until more than a week later, but he loves it and has hardly taken it off since.

Prior to the really nasty weather arriving, we managed to get in daily bike rides to explore the area, stumbling upon a wonderful natural foods store in the tiny nearby town of Galena, where we scored local cider, fruits and vegetables, pastured meats, and the best milk and butter we've found in our nearly two years aboard. We also spent a very enjoyable evening aboard with two of our favorite people, our daughter-in-law Meghan's parents Dee and John, who drove over from Baltimore to have dinner with us. And we made some new friends in fellow cruisers Gary and Janna aboard S/V Mañana, who like us were waiting out the weather.


A full moon, shown here during the full lunar eclipse, exacerbated the high tides brought on by the storm.

Once the hurricane headed offshore, leaving behind high waters on the Chesapeake and significant flooding in the Carolinas, we began to look at moving on. We had to wait a few more days for the nor'easter to die down and the high winds and waters to subside. Ten days after we had arrived in Georgetown, we finally motored back down the Sassafras on a chilly but sunny day, noting a significant amount of logs and other debris on the Chesapeake. It was interesting to note some of the aftereffects of the weather that would never have occurred to us: high waters made transiting under navigational bridges a challenge for many sailboats. Our own mast is about 58' high; the bridges usually have 64' clearance. At high tide with swollen rivers, a number of these bridges proved impassable or at least very dicey for anyone with similar mast heights. And a number of fuel docks flooded during the storm, contaminating diesel fuel tanks with water. Floating debris in rivers also caused concern in many areas.

Obviously, we dodged a bullet with this storm. Howling 30+ knot winds were scary enough, lying in bed at night listening to our dock lines straining and waves slapping our hull. It was and still is difficult to imagine what 125 knot winds would be like. We have been very appreciative of the fine fall weather we've had since then, as we've slowly continued our exploration of the bay on our way south.

Comments
Vessel Name: Thalia
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Portland, OR
Crew: Larry and Caroline Lewis
About:
We retired from our urban organic gardening business in early 2013. We're both originally from California, where we grew up sailing and playing in the water. We have lived in Portland, Oregon the last few decades. [...]
Extra:
I do not offer the old smooth prizes, but offer rough new prizes, These are the days that must happen to you: You shall not heap up what is called riches; You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve. However sweet the laid-up stores, however convenient the dwellings, you [...]
Thalia's Photos - Main
For our final blog post as owners of S/V Thalia...
16 Photos
Created 14 October 2016
13 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
Thalia's last leg of nearly 400 miles from North Carolina to Annapolis.
13 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Travel back up around Florida to North Carolina, including visiting our new grandson Max in Baltimore.
17 Photos
Created 14 June 2016
From the wilderness of the Everglades to the beautiful city of Saint Petersburg...
20 Photos
Created 2 April 2016
From St. Augustine to Miami, our travels down the Florida coast in 2016.
21 Photos
Created 15 February 2016
From a boatyard in Oriental to the decked halls of Charleston mansions, December was an eventful month.
23 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
Travel around inland North Carolina and Thanksgiving in Baltimore.
8 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
We didn't take many photos - too busy trying to keep warm - but here's what we have from our trek up the Delaware and Sassafras rivers to Georgetown, MD to wait out Hurricane Joaquin.
6 Photos
Created 23 October 2015
18 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
We're spending most of the month of June wandering around this enormous and wonderful area, checking out all those little towns and creeks we've been told about. Here are some of our shots.
26 Photos
Created 14 June 2015
Scenes from Marsh Harbour - including diving shots - Hope Town, and Treasure Cay.
26 Photos
Created 9 May 2015
Travels to two of the more remote - and beautiful - Bahamian islands.
No Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Some of the cays we've visited in February and early March, 2015, from Bimini to the central Exumas.
24 Photos
Created 2 March 2015
Traveling from the lower Chesapeake Bay in Norfolk, VA out into the ocean and up to Nantucket.
17 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
Photos of our new mast as well as repairs to Thalia's decks and interior.
9 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
Three generations of a family enjoy a Baltimore tradition.
7 Photos
Created 28 July 2014
Travels from New York City up the Hudson River and through the Erie Canal, Oneida Lake and Oneida River to Lake Ontario.
32 Photos
Created 13 June 2014
A screenshot of our planned and actual routes, and a shot of Thalia with her sister, Sea Escape.
2 Photos
Created 10 May 2014
Impressions from a week spent in this lovely city.
20 Photos
Created 14 April 2014
Our impressions of this lovely city - with a focus on its architecture - as we explore it during our March/April 2014 visit. We added a few shots of the lovely blooming flowers as well as a bit of sailing to round things out.
33 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Our first days onboard Thalia, including the first meal we cooked.
5 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
The first photos of our new boat, taken where we purchased her in Annapolis and then heading down to her temporary home in Oriental, NC.
7 Photos
Created 17 November 2013