Caol Bàn

No, "Caol Bàn" is NOT a misspelling of "Coal Bin", although sometimes.....! The name is pronounced "Kyle Ban" and can mean (among other things) "White Straights".

13 August 2012 | New Teakettle Creek, GA
08 August 2012 | New Bern, NC to Daytona Beach, FL

Repositioning Cruise #1

08 August 2012 | New Bern, NC to Daytona Beach, FL
Gruelling Weather
We finally relocated "Caol Bàn" from New Bern, NC to Daytona Beach, FL despite days of 98 degrees F. (115+ degrees apparent) and successive days of severe (and they MEANT "severe") thunderstorms from North Carolina to Florida, including one which caught us in the Cumberland Sound (thankfully not in the narrow channels before or after the sound) and handed us 65+kts of wind, a LOT of horizontal rain and enough lightening all around us to keep us satisfied for a lifetime.
Apart from these inconveniences we had a great (although rushed) trip south and, on the occassions when we used a marina, found all but two of them extremely helpful and friendly.
Now we are tied up in Halifax Harbor marina, FL, which is one of the most efficiently run and friendly marinas in FL. And happy to be there, although only temporary.
I'll be putting pics etc on www.muttlets.com in the near future.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caol Bàn
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby 42
Hailing Port: Glasgow/Daytona Beach, FL
Crew: Carol & Fergus
About: Carol & Fergus: We met while we were each living on our own boats (Carol on a Westsail 32 for 12 years). We joined together, maritally, sold the individual boats and, in total mutual agreement, bought this Whitby 42. The second best decision we ever made (guess what was the first!).
Extra:
We bought CB in the New Bern area of NC and berthed her in Northwest Creek marina, originally for a month. A year-and-a-half later we finally did our repositioning cruise to bring her south. NW Creek marina was one of the very best marinas we have ever stayed in (see the staff tending the boats [...]

CB

Who: Carol & Fergus
Port: Glasgow/Daytona Beach, FL