SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
The Seventh Voyage of Capella III
A more "local" summer voyage, beginning in Seward, AK 5/15, traveling to Kodiak, the Alaskan Peninsula, Seldovia, the Kenai Fjords and Prince William Sound. We will revisit Seward many times throughout the summer and return permanently 9/1.
Preparations for s/v Capella III's SIXTH VOYAGE begins
kathy/big snow melt
04/24/2012, Seward, Alaska

Arriving back in Alaska 3/20, we were met with enormous snow berms everywhere like never before! All record snowfalls were broken both in Anchorage (130") and in Seward (158")...lucky for us! Our home on Marathon Ave. was esssentially invisible from the road, but thanks to the efforts of our friend Paul (and Leif's snowplow), the driveway was partially plowed and a narrow tunnel was shoveled to our side door making entry possible. Thanks guys...we couldn't have done it without you!
Now the work of getting Capella III ready for #6 begins after the big dig-out. The weather is ameliorating and de-winterizing and re-installation of just about everything is underway. We'll keep you posted!

End of the Road
Kathy/the rains continue
09/14/2011, Seward, Alaska

It's with heavy heart that I write this final blog posting for Capella III's Fifth Voyage. Oh, don't worry...it's the same every year when we experience "re-entry" into the World of the Landlubber. Silent emotions always run deep as we come into view of our summer's final destination.
Thanks to you all who followed us on the blog...we enjoyed writing it for you! Now it is our permanent testamonial of a fabulous summer's-past adventure, never to be forgotten. Already we're in the beginning stages of planning Summer 2012's next adventure...stay tuned! Kathy, Vic and Skipper

09/15/2011 | mary couvillion
Welcome Home!! I guess if we want some info on Cordova, you've got it! Give us a call when you get a chance
Days 126-128, Seward Re-Entry
Kathy/delightful, by comparison
09/12/2011, Seward, Alaska

The segment of the trip from Cordova to overnight in Chenga was twice significant...we were finally back at sea after a 'too long hole-up' AND we were able to visit a new native village enroute home. Chenega is an interesting home to the Alutiiq people in PWS (haven't been among Alutiiqs since Kodiak) with the best docking facility in all of Alaska! We spent a restful night snugly moored to their dock and the next morning visited their native museum (accompanied by young George, keeper of the Museum keys), the Russian Orthodox Church and cemetery and K-12 School and Teachers' House. Onward we sailed across the Gulf from PWS to Cape Resurrection, under FULL SAIL with a 15kt. winds out of the south (a great beam reach) and favorable currents, resulting in an average speed of 7kt. Whee! A GREAT SAIL! We decided to overnight in Thumb Cove (7nm from Seward), arriving at 7pm. This is our last anchorage before the return to Seward and we savoring every last moment.

Days 123-125, OFF THE DOCK!
Kathy/ok, hallalujah!
09/08/2011, at sea, heading toward Chenega

At 6:45am this morning (8 Sept.) we finally were able to untether ourselves from slot H-16 in Cordova Harbor after 7 days of gale+ force winds and torrential rains. The weather's not great, but the winds have abated and the seas have calmed...just the overcast skies with the possibility of rain to contend with. Our goal is to reach New Chenega by 7-8pm tonight, overnight at their new, fancy dock and head for Seward tomorrow. It will be two long days, but we have gale warnings in the Gulf again on Sunday, so we're not taking any more chances of week-long hole-ups!! The posted picture shows what we did during our time in Cordova. Commisserating with other holed-up sailors is the just the ticket...Thanks, "Makali'i" and "Sol", great spending the time with you!

09/09/2011 | Mark Ward
See you in Seward Sunday. :)
09/09/2011 | Pat richard
Just beat that approaching gale! Have safe and speedy sailing.
Days 122-123, DAY 6 IN CORDOVA!
Kathy/ ever-worsening
09/06/2011, Cordova, Alaska

I'm going to make the point of this continuing bad weather by inserting a picture sent from one of our 'blog-following sailor friends', Mark Ward, s/v Radiance. He took a picture from his barograph with the wind warning in the Gulf quite explicitly sited. Makes us wonder just how much longer we'll sit in Cordova. Condolences accepted...!

09/07/2011 | Pat Richard
Hang in or should I say hang on there? Keep safe; this can't continue.
09/07/2011 | mary
Well,we are having our birthday card exchange tomorrow at Sack's! Guess you won't be there,but we'll surely be thinking of you..don't blow away!
Day 121, Ho Hum, What?? MORE Bad Wx?
Kathy/SSDD (same @*#! different day)
09/04/2011, Cordova, AK

Naturally these days we begin each morning with our coffee/tea and the 4-day weather report. Before turning the lights off last night, we really thought we had a plan in place to return to Seward by sailing from Cordova to Chenga Bay on Tues. (6th Sept.), then making the Gulf crossing into Seward on Wed. (7th) with 25kt. winds and 10' seas...these were acceptable odds. However, by 7a.m. this morning this had all changed. The call is now for STORM conditions (50kt winds) in CORDOVA harbor tonight, 60+Kt. winds in the Gulf! That's just 4kts. less than a HURRICANE...!! The 4-day forecast is maintaining this intensity in both areas through Wed. (7th), so we won't be going anywhere anytime soon! Everyone in the harbor is battening down their hatches in preparation for this increased blow, and I went to the laundromat and grocery store so we could eat in clean clothes.
Vic has mentioned wintering our boat over here in Cordova more than once, but what's the use for now since the ferries and airplanes are not running to take us away from all this. So we're hunkering in once again...and I'm posting a NICE picture on the blog that has absolutely nothing to do with the crappy weather. Enjoy!

09/05/2011 | Pat Richard
Sandra and James said "Thanks so much for the heads up on the bad weather." Hope they all our advice.
09/06/2011 | Mark Ward
Hey guys, Been following your posts. Yea - you should be quite happy you were NOT out in the gulf yesterday. Even my barograph display read "CYCLONE CONDITONS" ****HURRICANE****
be patient. :)

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs