Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

LEAVING MARATHON -- AUTOPILOT FIXED!

25 March 2016 | BOOT KEY HARBOR, MARATHON FLORIDA
KRIS/ WEATHER warm with gentle breezes
Our peaceful morning reverie was interrupted by the screeching of multiple gulls. They were squawking, perching on masts and dive bombing each other. I was unsure of the nature of their squabbles. They usually save that for later in the day when there is a chance of some tasty morsel blowing overboard. This is highly un-recommended if one wishes some peace. We deduced that the excitement was caused by the dolphin show in the channel. After spending 10 days here, this is the first entertaining display. At least 8 dolphins were scattered throughout the mooring field, puffing and splashing as dolphins do when they feel like entertaining humans. Possibly the Dolphins intercepted the birds morning fish break-feast and were not only enjoying stealing the fish, but showing off.
To avoid being the boring blog, I have not posted in several days. The daily tedium of reading about us lolling around on the boat, riding our silly folding bikes to quaint and delicious restaurants may cause some disdain amongst my readers. Doing laundry by dinghy, and bike trips to Publix to pick up fresh groceries, also not that interesting. So now the good news.
After 3 days of calculating, adapting, installing, and adjusting while sweating below deck, the new autopilot drive is installed and functioning. This activity was peppered by phone calls to experts and multiple bike rides to Home Depot. A sea trial in calm seas this morning in the open area just south of the 7 mile bridge proved successful. We found it to be holding and changing course satisfactorily. We did blow a breaker on our return to the harbor which causes Jack some reservations. It restarted and has run flawlessly since. With some trepidation we plan to strike out into the ocean again early tomorrow. What is sailing the deep blue if not somewhat gutsy?
We have not finalized our route. Sail northeast and head for Rodriquez Key in preparation for a Bahamas crossing, or sail west and head for Key West and the Dry Tortugas. One route familiar, the other less familiar, then unknown. We’ll study the weather and form a plan in the morning.We are prepared for either.
I won’t report again until we arrive at our next port.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: