Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

LAZY SAILING IN THE FLORIDA KEYS

16 April 2016 | FLORIDA KEYS NEAR ISLAMORADA
KRIS/ WEATHER warm with gentle breezes
Emails loaded onto one’s phone while anchored in the Backwaters of Florida can be sketchy and often are cut off before they finish loading, especially if you have been out of the country for several weeks and have paid for limited international data. Last night one popped up from my accountant saying I can’t file your taxes because you need to sign and mail a form. I texted that it was impossible when living on a boat with no printer, very scarce internet and I don’t expect to owe or get a refund. Happy Tax Day. Some things you can’t ignore in our idyllic life.
Tim and Maryann have a favorite restaurant in Islamorada called Lorelei’s. Today’s goal was to have lunch there. It was a similar sail to yesterday, through quiet channels teeming with crab pots, using mixed sail and diesel power. We love the flat water and don’t complain about the lack of thrilling sailing experiences. Besides the batteries need a charge and we do enjoy our lights and refrigeration.
We anchored just outside Lorelei’s dock and spent a few hours lunching and people watching. There are still a bunch of vacationers in the Keys That doesn’t end with spring break. I guess we sort of fit into that category. We are leisurely spending the day, playing with our big toys and spending money on unnecessary stuff and fattening meals. The food was good and I would give Lorelei’s a thumbs up for a stop in the Keys by car or boat.
After lunch a walk is welcome. There is a Bass Pro Shop a ways down the road in Islamorada. Not that we needed fishing gear or overpriced brand name T shirts. There is however a display of the fishing boat poised high overlooking the sales floor. It is named Pilar which is a sister ship of Hemingway’s famous fishing boat. We were able to climb inside the nicely restored boat and get some cool vibes. The boat did make an appearance in the Bogey Bacall and EG Robinson film Key Largo as “Santana”. Being a bigger fan of Bogart than Hemingway, I enjoyed the brief tour.
After returning to the big sailboats, we parted ways with Wyvern and Make it Easy. Charlie wanted to get a head start on the trip to South Florida’s Cape Sable to have one more chance to walk the beaches of the Everglades before returning to landlubber life. Jack and I decided to anchor off the shores of Long Key in a spot called Jewfish hole. We had a light dinner on board and retired early to calm winds and waters.
We should have listened more carefully to the weather report!
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: