Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

WE FOUND THE BLUE HOLE!

01 May 2017 | RED SHANKS ANCHORAGE NEAR GEORGETOWN
KRIS/BREEZY AND WARM
Charlie called bright and early and suggested we dinghy around Red Shanks and see if we can find a path or hiking trail we haven’t explored. About 10:30 Jack and I set out in the dinghy to follow Charlie on this dinghy quest. Paul and Patrick were a little too comfy and decided to relax on the boat. On the north side of the cove we found a trail off of a tiny beach, and climbed the steep hill to a lookout where we could see the other side of this narrow island. We took some “tourista” pictures of each other, all smiles with pretty scenery in the background. Down the hill and back into the dinghy, we motored to another beach on the east side of the cove and walked across to a windswept tropical beach where we sat and just tried to enjoy the windy scene. These are truly beautiful white sandy beaches, and we imagine what it would be like if the wind were just a bit calmer. Maybe tomorrow we’ll find out. The weather otherwise is perfect, high 70s and sunny.
This afternoon once again all 3 of my boys suited up in wetsuits, checked and double checked their equipment and took off in the dinghy to dive the blue hole. I waited behind on Caprice and Phyllis and Charlie picked me up a little later and we met Jack just after Patrick and Paul descended into the depths. About 20 minutes later they resurfaced all smiles. Patrick related that they went down 77 feet, and explored cave like structures and saw a variety of colorful fish. On the trip back to Caprice we couldn’t pass up the chance to explore one more wrecked boat in this lovely serene cove nestled in between several islands. The wrecked boat was about a 50 foot trawler style boat, backed up on the rocks with a surprising amount of stuff still on board. We had not notice this wreck in our previous dinghy adventures. The other times we have been through here we were looking at different wrecks in different directions. Patrick climbed aboard and emerged with a silly grin and a tennis racket, then again with a sillier grin and a golf club. There is a story here and it probably is an unhappy one. There was a tank and regulator on board, in unknown condition, but we are well stocked with dive equipment We wisely left all sporting goods behind lest the disappointed owner return to retrieve them.
Back on board we celebrated our last evening together with drinks and a whole variety of healthy and yummy snacks. (Not all treats fit in both categories) It has been a pleasure spending this past week with these two young men, one familiar and one a new friend.
As the sun goes down we are rocked to sleep by wind and waves still blowing nearly 20 knots. With any luck it will settle by morning making for a restful night before our pleasantly weary divers have to get on a plane and leave us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: