Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

GEORGETOWN EXODUS

02 May 2017 | GEORGETOWN EXUMA BAHAMAS
KRIS/ BALMY
GEORGETOWN EXODUS
Paul ended his Bahamas trip with a short sail from Red Shanks Anchorage to Georgetown. We all were up early, had a quick breakfast and hoisted anchor by 8:00 as planned. It was a relief to awake to calmer winds. We made the short 1 hour sail back to Kidd Cove and actually raised the Jib. I haven’t seen my sails in the 3 weeks we’ve been in the Georgetown area. It has been too windy most days to plan a trip. We dinghied the guys into shore about 10:30 and were able to grab a cab driver and arrange an 11:00 am cab ride to the airport. This is where we parted ways. Patrick back to California for a visit with his parents and Paul to Chicago where Anne will retrieve him from the airport. I’ll miss Paul but hope to see him this summer before he heads out to sea again.
Jack and I and Charlie and Phyllis had a quiet lunch at the Georgetown Yacht Club BLU restaurant. BLU stands for basking, lounging, and unwinding. I plan to do all of that. It will seem very quiet on the boat this afternoon. We stopped to pick up our outboard parts at Forbes Company, which is a combination dry cleaner and custom clearance service. In between 3 trips to shore for 25 gallons of water each trip, we checked to see if they were open. No luck with that. These Island businesses run on their own schedule. The guy at Forbes had even asked Charlie this morning where “John” was. He is waiting for us to pick up our parts and pay the customs handling fees, but neglects to be in his store when we stopped in which we did several times between 11:00 and 2:00 pm. Seems like a reasonable time to show up when your sign says hours 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. We’ll try again tomorrow. Charlie also has ordered repair parts for his steering system which he needs to pick up at Forbes.
When these repairs are complete on both boats we will begin our journey back to the states. The harbor at Georgetown is getting pretty roomy. Several boats a day leave to return northward to US and Canada for the summer months or take advantage of favorable winds and continue southward to the Caribbean and ports beyond.
For now, we I will relax and unwind and restore the boat from working dive boat to its former status as luxury yacht. Just kidding. The dive equipment and tanks, which are all currently lashed to the top deck will be stowed away carefully in lockers and holds below deck out of the way until they are needed again.
Tonight we dined on leftovers and then back to our usual routine, will turn in early.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: