F18 Capricorn USA

Sailing on our F-18 Catamaran accounts and descriptions of racing and playing.

13 July 2015 | San Francisco Bay
19 June 2015 | San Francisco Bay
06 June 2015 | Richmond California to Stockton California.
31 January 2015 | San Francisco Bay
24 September 2014 | Alameda California
30 August 2014 | Treasure Island to Benicia
30 July 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
16 July 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
15 July 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
05 July 2014 | Treasure Island to Redwood City
04 June 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
01 June 2014 | Stockton to Richmond
31 May 2014 | Richmond to Stockton
20 April 2014 | San Francisco Bay/Pacific Ocean
14 April 2014 | San Francisco Bay
11 March 2014 | St. Francis Yacht Club
10 January 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
07 January 2014 | Everywhere
01 November 2013 | Sarasota Florida
19 May 2013 | San Francisco Bay

2015 three Bridge Fiasco

31 January 2015 | San Francisco Bay
Rich Vilvens
2015 Three Bridge Fiasco
Capricorn USA agreed to help out Smart Recruiters and run the chase boat for the Three Bridge Fiasco 2015. With help from Nick Grebe at Evil Octopus F18 we committed to take the day to run the chase. I met up with Nick at his house and we rode down to St Francis Yacht Club to get ready for the day. We met Jerome and Erwan for the days plan. We got the Extreme 40 Smart Recruiters ready then went and had a cup of coffee while we discussed strategy for the day. The general consensus was to go for Red Rock before the wind died out.
We all went down to the boats and got ready to leave. As we raised the sails we noticed the wind was going down. We towed out and raised the main while we waited for the start. As the time ticked down till our start we positioned in what we thought was the best area and Nick and I cut the tow ropes and assumed the role as chase crew. There was still time till the cut off but we opened some distance and started to take pictures and speculate what was the best route.
The start gun went off and we saw Smart Recruiters cross the line and unfurl the spin on the way to Red Rock. There was enough pressure for the boat to accelerate across the bay and down to Angel Island at the entrance for Raccoon Straight. The wind was dying off and the speeds were dropping quickly. On the chase boat we were at a drift and we saw the X40 was reading to gibe. Nick and I speculated if they were going to go for the East side of Angel or on to Treasure Island. About this time we saw Shadow coming down the bay after rounding Blackaller. We wondered if they would go for TI or Red Rock as we started down to TI. The pressure was building and we made the approach to TI we looked behind to see Shadow going for the North Bay and Red Rock.
We were now with Rocket 88 and Team Pegasus as we approached TI All three boats fought the tide and looked for more wind as the bridge shadow grabbed at the boats. Several gibes later the boats broke the wind hole and made their way to the Eastern Span of the bridge. Rocket 88 was out in the lead and Smart Recruiters came under second and Team Pegasus was third in the grouping. All three boats now two sail sailing to try to get to Red Rock. Leaving Treasure Island there were hulls in the air and the distance between the boats began to close. As the boats closed in on the Berkeley Richmond area the wind dropped. Spins were re hoisted and the speeds were still under 5 knots. Adrenaline passed us going the other way and having already passed the Rock was looking good for a finish. In the light wind hulls were back down in the water and crews began to really work for the ground they covered. Several gibes looking for wind near the shore and riding in near the fueling pier exclusion area wanting to get every extra knot available.
The boats neared Red Rock and we noticed Shadow was still trying to make the mark. Five Fast cats were now trying to overcome the rushing tide and get around Red Rock. Rocket 88 and Smart Recruiters went way deep to get extra in the bank to make it. Boys and Girls Club, with Shadow went close to the Rock and Pegasus was still behind struggling in the light wind. Rocket 88 rounded first followed by Smart Recruiters, Shadow, then Boys and Girls Club followed by Pegasus. Smart recruiters was making good time with main and jib however we heard on the radio Adrenaline call for a finish, congrats they sailed a great race and well deserved the win.
We were chasing down Rocket 88 and hoping there was time to pass them before Blackaller. Three tacks had us going into the Raccoon Straight still trailing Rocket however they went too close to Angel and got flushed out the back side of the island. We were now in position to finish second in class as we heard another boat call for the finish in the monohull division. Another call came in as we were behind the island so now it was a class and pride finish. As we came out from behind Angel Island we began across the bay and speeds came up. With the windward hull in the air the speeds were in the high teens and Smart Recruiters was on a good line to Blackaller. As they approached the mark the wind went from depowering the boat to looking for wind. We managed to round but were stalled out and drifting back out to ward the gate. Finally a small puff of wind hit and the spin filled and off to the middle of the bay with more pressure. A gibe out in the bay and then it was power on to try to make the mark for the finish. Just after 4 we finished and then we dropped sails and tied up to tow back to the St. Francis Yacht Club.
Sails were put in bags, dagger boards were washed and bagged and we went in to watch a few boats finish while enjoying a beer. We debriefed the day then Nick and I had to bail for home. Thanks to Jerome and Erwan for having us chase them for the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Make/Model: PSA Capricorn F18
Hailing Port: Redwood City, California
Crew: Richard Vilvens and Daisy Eng
About: A husband and wife sailing team from California.
Extra: Capricorn USA F18
Social:

F-18 Racing

Who: Richard Vilvens and Daisy Eng
Port: Redwood City, California