Captain's Log: Briskwater

01 August 2014 | Everett, Ballard Locks, Queen Queen City
30 July 2014 | Saratoga Passage, Everett
29 July 2014 | Swinomish Channel, La Conner, Skagit Bay, Oak Harbor
28 July 2014 | Rosario Strait, Harney Channel, Ship Harbor, Cap Sante Marina
27 July 2014 | Sucia Island, Deer Harbor, Orcas Island
25 July 2014 | Matia Island, North of Orcas Island
24 July 2014 | Blakely Island Marina
23 July 2014 | Rosario Resort, Orcas Island
21 July 2014 | Deer Harbor to Eastsound
20 July 2014 | Deer Harbor to Orcas Village
19 July 2014 | Anacortes, Guemes Island
18 July 2014 | San Juan Island, Orcas Island, Anacortes, Guemes Island
17 July 2014 | Roche Harbor
16 July 2014 | Friday Harbor, Turn Island
15 July 2014 | San Juan Channel
13 July 2014 | Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island
12 July 2014 | Skyline Marine Center - Do It Yourself Yard
07 July 2014 | Guemes Channel
06 July 2014 | Bowman Bay, Deception Pass State Park

9. Dog Day Dash through Guemes Channel

07 July 2014 | Guemes Channel
Capt. Jon Z.
A blue sky day, perfect for sailing...

We left Bowman Bay in the late morning, and while the wind during the first half of the day was stagnant, the motion of the currents helped. We made a short jump via motor to Skyline Marina on the southern coast of Fidalgo Island, and from there sailed the Guemes Channel to today's destination: Long Bay on the southeast coast of Guemes Island, where Sarah's parents and grandparents reside.

The Guemes Channel sailing was exhilarating! We put up the sails at the western entrance to the channel, between the Anacortes-San Juan ferry and the southern coast of Cypress Island. We saw many fellow sailboats cruising our way, westward, so even though we at first did not feel much wind, we were patient and slowly cruised to the southwest tip of Guemes Island, where it was clear the north wind was howling.

Briskwater picked up the pace at the behest of the northerly, pushing us equatorially at a steady 6-6.5 knots. We zipped past the Guemes Island ferry dock, coming just a few hundred feet of the eponymous traveling ferry M/V Guemes. Sarah snapped a few pictures of the craft, and I'm sure the ferry crew was waving the whole time. The length of the channel is only 4 nautical miles, and our speed made the passage feel shorter than it actually was.

Soon after crossing over the ferry crossing, we phoned Gary (Sarah's dad) to meet us at Long Bay, just north of the southeast tip of Guemes Island; our friends John and Janet have a mooring buoy that we used for stabilizing Briskwater in the bay. She is bobbing contentedly in the bay as I type this. Happily, Sarah's grandparents' house overlooks this bay, so family is still close during our travels.

Now that we are in Anacortes, the plan is to haul out Briskwater for her biennial bottom cleaning and painting. I am excited to clean and work our ship; in the coming days, many pictures will be posted of us taking care of her. That said, the only island hopping we are doing until Saturday (7/12/14) will be riding the ferry between Anacortes and Guemes. Shipwreck Day is only 11 days away! Ahoy!

Travel distance to date: 79.2 nm (all figures are approximate) I am using the distance calculator on this website to estimate our travel distance: DaftLogic
Highest speed to date (still): 7.5 kt
Gas used to date: 4.5 gal
Scariest moment to date (still): Entering Port Townsend Canal from the south with 15-25 S gusts and high tide pushing south against us in the canal.
Best pizza: It's currently a tie for last place between Port Ludlow and two places in Port Townsend.
Best spot to throw the Frisbee: The parade grounds at Fort Worden.
Best biscuits and gravy: Dad's Diner A Go-Go in Anacortes.
Comments
Vessel Name: Briskwater
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 27 (Name: Briskwater)
Hailing Port: Queen City Yacht Club
Crew: Captain Jon and First Mate Sarah

San Juan Islands

Who: Captain Jon and First Mate Sarah
Port: Queen City Yacht Club
HI FAMILY AND FRIENDS. IF YOU DOWNLOAD GOOGLE EARTH (on the map page) YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ZOOM IN AND OUT ON THIS SITE AND SEE OUR ROUTE. ALSO, ON THE GOOGLE MAP, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CLICK ON POINTS FOR JOURNAL ENTRIES. IT'S SUPER COOL!