C A R I N T H I A

Welcome to S/V Carinthia's Sailblog :

12 December 2012 | Gulf Harbour, Whangaparoa, New Zealand
01 December 2011 | Fiji - New Zealand
27 September 2011 | South Coast Vanua Levu, Fiji
26 June 2011 | Fiji, Lautoka
12 May 2011 | Malolo Island
30 April 2011 | Manoriki
02 January 2011 | Gulf Harbor, Whangaparoa
15 June 2010 | Whangarei NZ
09 June 2010 | whangarei nz
15 May 2010 | Whangarei, New Zealand
19 April 2010 | Gulf Harbor Marina
11 March 2010 | Auckland New Zealand
27 February 2010 | Auckland New Zealand
07 January 2010 | New Zealand
01 January 2010 | Auckland New Zealand
09 December 2009 | Auckland New Zealand
13 November 2009 | 40 nm to Opua New Zealand
09 November 2009 | en route to New Zealand

A perfect anchorage !

19 October 2009 | HA'ANO Tonga
Dietmar Petutschnig
What is a perfect anchorage ?

I'm going to attempt to describe this briefly.

For starters you get to this spot around 3 PM under a perfect blue sky. The wind - as you approach - is on the nose and under 15 knots so you can drop the mainsail in seconds. There are only 4 boats in a sheltered bay big enough for 20 yachts. The water is crystal clear and you drop in 30 feet where you can see the sandy bottom. The temperature is 80 degrees and you already know 2 of the other 4 boats. The trip to the beach in the dinghy takes 2 minutes. The beach is devoid of mammals so your dog can play to her heart's content - expect for 2 horses next to a thatched cabin where a local waves at you and your shore party. The beach is long and pristine without washed ashore plastic trash from "advanced" civilizations 4,000 n.m.. away. The kayaking is beyond belief in this sheltered cove without ripples. The water is not too hot or not too cold. The sun is warm not hot. The following 8 yachts anchor without causing you to be alarmed. The palm trees sway. The music of the moment is perfect and the new amplifier and speakers causes the fish to smile. On the horizon is a small little green island with a huge volcano further away adding to the dramatic sunset skyline build up. The burgees and flags are from more than 8 countries - in this case from 4 continents. VHF 16 is relatively calm. Whoever is wearing skin tight bathing suits - looks good in it. There is no charter boat amongst the lot. There is no power boat amongst the lot. There are no jet skies. There is no-one selling anything. There is a surf spot 2 n.m. away with a perfect left. The freezer produced enough ice in the last 24 hours to chill a perfect martini. You can run your water maker. You can run your gen set. Everyone has their anchor light on. Your hull is clean. There is no WIFI - but the sat phone works. Someone caught too much fish and shares it with you. Your grill is clean and you have plenty of gas to grill said fish. You have fresh vegetables provisioned from the local market at the last anchorage. You smile - it's not rolling - you're on a catamaran. Now that the anchorage is filling up latecomer's are moving to the next bay and are not squeezing in.

to be continued ...
Comments
Vessel Name: Carinthia
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 444 #258
Hailing Port: Las Vegas
Crew: Dietmar / Suzanne / Vienna / Kurt