Carolina Mind

28 November 2016
28 October 2016
30 March 2015
05 March 2015
05 February 2015 | 24 57.932
25 January 2015 | Coconut Grove
24 December 2014 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2014 | Jekyll Island, Ga
09 November 2014 | North Myrtle Beach, SC

Keys at last

05 February 2015 | 24 57.932
We have been in Plantation Key for a week now.

When we left Coral Gables we had a very nice sail down Biscayne Bay. Even though I had been on Biscayne Bay a number of times for work, I had not appreciated how wonderful Biscayne Bay was for sailing with its shallow protected waters and wonderful orientation for the prevailing winds. The first day of the international races (see previous post) was underway, so we could see the boats zipping around the course in the distance. We also could look over our shoulder and see the high-rises of Miami sinking into the horizon. It was one of those days when you say, “this is why we have a sailboat”.

Entering the Florida Keys on the bay side brings a new aspect of boating for us. Florida Bay is shallow and we draw 4’ 9”. Folks here talk about water level changes in inches, rather than feet. The average depth for our first two days in Florida Bay was between 5 and 6 feet. So we were running with only about a foot of water under our keel, sometimes less. Needless to say, we went slowly.

Slowly is the best way to see the bay side of the Keys, anyway. Besides being shallow, the water is clear when the winds are light. So fish and other marine life can we seen as you glide past. Birds are also abundant and, as they fish, are not bothered by the presence of boats. This area is truly a national treasure which deserves the many state and federal protections. While the spirit of the protection is honorable, the host of overlapping and complicated laws often makes compliance at odds with having fun. Given my background, training and years of overseeing millions in research here, I’m extra careful.

After making many phone calls to marinas in the area, I was able to find one with a slip available for February. This affords us protection from the northerlies which have been common since we left NC and it provides a simpler way to comply with some of the boat restrictions in these protected areas.

So, we are at Plantation Key in the town of Islamorada (I-la-mo-ra-da).
Comments
Vessel Name: Carolina Mind
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Crew: David and Beverly Johnson
Carolina Mind's Photos - Main
Pictures from our time based in Marathon, FL, at the Harbor Cay Club Marina.
64 Photos
Created 8 March 2017
Trip from NC to Florida Keys and more
63 Photos
Created 28 October 2016
Just a few pictures from our visits to Key West and Marathon
8 Photos
Created 13 April 2015