Carolina Mind

28 November 2016
28 October 2016
30 March 2015
05 March 2015
05 February 2015 | 24 57.932
25 January 2015 | Coconut Grove
24 December 2014 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2014 | Jekyll Island, Ga
09 November 2014 | North Myrtle Beach, SC

Islamorada to Marathon

05 March 2015
On March 1st we sailed on a crystal clear, 80 degree day, from Islamorada to Marathon, a distance of 50 miles. This was memorable for several reasons.

The winds were from the southeast at 10-15 knots. This is a perfect wind speed for our boat and the southeast winds were perfect for a broad reach. Once we cleared the marina we were able to set sail and turn off the engine.

In addition, the Florida Bay water was even clearer than the normally light blue. We could see everything on the bottom in some detail. Since we were moving quietly through the water, the fish and other marine life paid little attention to us as we passed overhead.

For much of this trip the water is only 5-6 feet deep so we were entertained by the close-up underwater scenery. During the trip some dolphins swam to the boat and played awhile. (This is very common, unless the boat has NMFS employees with crossbows aiming to tag the dolphins). The difference on this day was that we could clearly see the dolphins underwater for some distance from the boat. They approached the boat at high speed and circled several times in addition to playing in the bow and stern waves. When they departed, we were able to entice them back with rhythmic knocking on the hull. They returned four or five times before leaving us for good.

All in all we were under sail for 9 hours in perfect conditions.
Comments
Vessel Name: Carolina Mind
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Crew: David and Beverly Johnson
Carolina Mind's Photos - Main
Pictures from our time based in Marathon, FL, at the Harbor Cay Club Marina.
64 Photos
Created 8 March 2017
Trip from NC to Florida Keys and more
63 Photos
Created 28 October 2016
Just a few pictures from our visits to Key West and Marathon
8 Photos
Created 13 April 2015