Seizing the Wind

Sept 4

Sunday found us with much less wind. With the batteries low, we decided to motor for 4 hours to top up the batteries, make some water and get some headway as we had travelled at 1 - 2 kns for the night. After lunch, we tried various configurations of sail including an unsuccessful attempt at flying the spinnaker; often know as chaos in a bag. No big problems, but no help either. We have settled into a nice routine and usually spend the mornings trying new stuff and trying to "seize the wind" as best as possible. A couple of nights, after dinner, we watch "The Untold History of America" by Oliver Stone. Lots of surprising details about the US and their role in the world; most of it not good. There are some excellent parallels to the current situation in Trumptopia. Fortunately we have had no news for a week and have no idea what he is up to. One of the perks of being out here!

Late Saturday afternoon, we had a visitor. A small yellow bird, about the size of a sparrow landed on the boat and made themselves at home. It went all over the boat including the cockpit, and came within a couple of inches of my hand. We tried putting out various foods but it only seem to want the water we gave it. How a small bird like that, which looks like a seed eater, survives 80 km off the coast is a mystery. Don't have Google to answer our questions. Anyone?

Then at about 4:00 Sunday morning I heard what I thought was a mammal breathing and sure enough when the sun came out we were being escorted by a dozen dolphins. They are a joy to watch at any time. They came very near the rear of the boat and we could easily see their features. Pictures get loaded up later.

Sunday afternoon brought about a surprise NW wind which has been blowing all night and helping us along. It is supposed to turn south soon (not favourable) so watching our mileage clicking off for as long as possible. About 150 nautical miles to go or about 30 hours IF the wind holds.

Comments




UA-106971999-1