Seizing the Wind

Glenda's Arrival

La Paz harbour is long and narrow with boat eating sand bars abounding. The guide book says ?be careful? so when the chart plotter decided to reboot just as I entered the channel, my heart did a little reboot too. I was first of three boats going in so I did a 360 and became the 3rd boat and just followed the others, blindly. Found my slip at Marina de la Paz and settled. The marina is home to about 200 boats, many are live-aboards at least for the winter season, and there is quite the community of expats here. Club Cruceros is the gathering place and does an excellent job of coffee hour, yoga, cards and many other activities. The place is like a summer camp for adults.

No time for that though; Glenda is coming and there are chores to attend to. Bill (retired Coast Guard water maker technician) helped fix my water maker and got me pointed in the right direction for alternator repairs. John Kloppenburg (fellow Nanaimoite) has been here for two seasons and we got together for a lively catchup. John's boat is securely anchored but not so John. He is trying to find his way down here; like driving a roundabout with too many exits and not enough road map.

Back on the bike swerving through traffic seeking boat parts, groceries, haircut and more. Mostly successfully, and never dangerous; except for the 34 C heat. ?drink plenty of fluids? is the order of the day.

Finding moorage eats up time like a tuna in a squid farm. Short term, I am trying to stay in Marina de la Paz as it is central and not too expensive; but slips are reserved and CV is homeless up to the last minute. Longer term, I need a place for the boat over Christmas and manage a reasonable cheap place out of town and go through the extensive paper work to line that up.

Jacobi and Alfredo are two local hired guns that badger for work. I decide to add a bit to the Mexican economy and they clean the boat ready for Glenda's arrival.

Off for a drive to San Jose borrowing John's car down an excellent highway for 2.5 hours. Google maps apparently doesn't know the way to San Jose (airport) so make that a 3 hour drive, and 30 minutes to find parking. This is the main airport for San Jose and Cabo San Lucas so mostly tourists in buses and little need for parking, apparently. Glenda's delayed flight and hour long customs visit makes up for it and we are happily rejoined and rejoicing. I am quickly reminded of why I love the woman I love.

The San Jose's Tropicana Hotel is our destination but between major construction and Google maps false starts, it takes a while to find but worth it. The hotel and restaurant were built in 1989 by a refugee from Vancouver who is still here and still enjoying it. San Jose has a marvelous art district and Glenda and I spent most of a day wondering into the shops and marvelling at the craftmanship and originality of the artists. Downsizing for our new home prevents us from any major purchases.

Two days of San Jose and we drive back through a wondering coastal highway with some grand vistas and occasional town. Off to the store for provisions, return the car, and prepare for our journey northward. We do spend two nights in La Paz. I am still working on the alternator repair, and Glenda got out to do some sightseeing. It is hot (33 C) and calm so nothing gets down too quickly.

Comments




UA-106971999-1