Getting To Cape Town..................
26 December 2017 | Zululand Yacht Club pontoons, Richard's Bay
........is unquestionably the potentially most difficult and dangerous part of the whole circumnavigation. Or it can be a breeze.
Weather systems can just appear, and there are very few places to safely hide. Meanwhile, the Aghulas current which runs down this east side of South Africa around to Cape Aghulas on the south coast is between dreadful to suicidal if a gale force wind blows against it. Think 8 to 10m breaking waves. That is to be avoided at all cost.
So, keeping on top of the weather forecasts and timing your run is crucial.
With crew N and J's arrival a little more than a week away (4th Jan) and the forecasts on platforms such as http://www.passageweather.com giving predictions up to a week away, we are paying ever closer attention!
We also have Des - our tame local meteorologist who freely gives forecasts and advice to yachties. He is fantastic.
Looking at things this far out....which will likely change.......Maggie and I may well be sailing to Durban for New Year's Day, if only to get the first 85 nms under the keel, and meeting N&J there. The next stop to East London will be another 260 nms (but with the current at up to 3 knots in our favour).
Ideally, we want a 6 to 7 day window and go all the way before the next system comes bowling in, but realistically, this journey to Cape Town is most likely to be done in 'bites'.
As Des says....how to eat an elephant? Just take bite-sized portions! We'll see, but DC is in good shape as the spring is steadily loaded.............