Waiting.......for Weather etc
03 January 2018 | Point Yacht Club, Durban marina
Fortunately, the 50 knot wind forecast for NYD only topped 44 here.
It was quite bouncy.
Since then, it has been very pleasant and not too hot. Today is going to be warmer, though, as we await a delivery of provisions.
The forecasts have been suggesting a weather window would enable us to leave for East London on Friday, but it looks today as though the new low will deepen and move up the coast to bring 25+ knot SW winds, which we do not want. We must still get ready, but wait to see whether that happens.
Que sera. This is the way it is.
Meanwhile, 'conversations' with my electronics guardian (angel) plus his local equivalent, backed up by a visit from the Marina techie all conclude that the Course Computer that controls the autopilot has failed. Probably an EMP (electro magnetic pulse) from the storm. If so, we are very very lucky if that is the only item to suffer.
Replacing it - it's a non-supported model now at 11 years old - will also take time and several thousand GBP, which is a bind. That is still well below the excess on our insurance, so it's blow out the cobwebs and 'hit the wallet' time!
I hope to know today whether it can be done here, or best left until Cape Town.
We still have Carly, the wind vane, for self steering in better/different conditions than storm-Friday, and having the extra crew eases the burden of hand steering.
Either way, it's not a big problem. Just think how Joshua Slocombe managed on his own (with dog) in the 1890s.