Cay de Cay

14 May 2020 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
05 January 2020 | British Virgin Islands
28 December 2019 | Anegada Island, BVI
02 December 2019 | Sopers Hole, West End, BVI
24 November 2019 | Christmas Cove
30 June 2019 | The British Virgin Islands
22 May 2019 | US Virgin Islands
05 April 2019 | Puerto del Rey Marina
23 March 2019 | Boqueron, Puerto Rico
21 March 2019 | Mona Island and Puerto Real, Puerto Rico
18 March 2019 | Cap Cana Marina, Dominican Rebuplic
11 March 2019 | Samana, Dominican Republic
05 March 2019 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata, DR
04 March 2019 | Cambiaso, Dominican Republic
02 March 2019 | Big Sand Cay. TCI
17 February 2019 | Leeward Going Through, Provo, TCI
29 January 2019 | Turtle Cove Marina, Provo, TCI
16 January 2019 | Cooper Jack Bight, Provo, TCI
11 January 2019 | Abraham's Bay, Mayaguana Island
01 January 2019 | Conception Island

Back to Miami

10 April 2017 | Key Biscayne, FL
Doug
After abandoning our planned trip to the Dry Tortugas, we headed back up the Keys the morning of April 5th. As we passed Boca Chica Naval Air Station eleven naval aircraft took off within a few minutes of each other; eight F18 fighters, two P3 Orions, and one S3 Viking. We assumed that it was a routine training exercise although Karrie did joking ask, “Are we under attack?” The next morning we learned that the US had attacked an airbase in Syria. Maybe not just a standard training exercise after all.

Later that day we had another “fly-by”, but of the aquatic variety. Several spinner dolphin joined us darting quickly by the boat and in front of us. Spinners are small dolphin with grayish white side markings. They are beautiful and boy are they fast! They are also know for their spinning leaps, but they did not show off their arial acrobatics for us.

Our first port of call was Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. Arriving at the harbor we called the marina and they asked if we had been there before to which I replied “Yes, we were on mooring ball mike-seven” (M-7). The harbormaster came back with “Why don’t you take that ball again since you know where it is and it is open”. What a surprise. We felt like old timers. Many of the same boats were still around us including one family that wanted to buddy boat with us to Dry Tortugas but never made it down to Key West.

We stayed in Boot Key for three days and then headed to Islamorada where we dropped the hook at the Lorelei anchorage again. As soon as the anchor was set, I jumped in the dinghy and sped over to the Islamorada Fish Company to stock up on smoked fish dip and clam chowder. IFC makes the best fish dip! And the clam chowder was really good for lunch with the cool weather we were having.

From Islamorada it was another day’s cruise to Pumpkin Key at the northern end of Key Largo. The next morning before we left Pumpkin Key for Miami I saw a disturbance in the water astern of the boat. Watching that area I soon spotted a few porpoise (bottle nosed dolphin) surface and then several others. I called Karrie out to watch, and we immediately started spotting them all around. There were around seven to ten areas that we would see them surfacing and with three to five in a group we are guessing that there was as many as 30 to 50 dolphins by us. We would see groups as large as five surface together. Some were making deep dives indicated by their tails extending straight up as they went under. While most of the activity was about a hundred yards behind us, a few came very close to the boat, one surfacing right by us (as captured in today’s photo). We guessed that they were having a feeding frenzy which was confirmed when I saw a large school of mullet swim past the boat and another time I saw a dolphin flip a captured mullet into the air. The feeding continued for at least a half hour and we delayed our departure watching the show.

Leaving Pumpkin Key we sailed up Biscayne Bay toward Miami. The weather outlook was not encouraging for the next week so we anchored on the west side of Key Biscayne where we would have protection from the strong easterly winds coming our way.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cay de Cay
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40
Hailing Port: North Palm Beach, FL
Crew: Doug & Karrie
About: Doug and Karrie are enjoying retirement by first cruising the Bahamas and now the Caribbean. Karrie was a Middle and High School English Teacher. Doug was a Design Engineer.
Extra:
Our first "Retirement" cruise was a life long dream. We spent our first winter in the upper Bahamas and Abacos. During our second winter we left Ft Lauderdale and headed for the Exumas, but continued on to Long Island, Cat Island, and Eleuthera (as well as other locations). For our third and [...]
Cay de Cay's Photos - Main
Our sixth season of cruising. This season we are in the Virgin Islands.
30 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
Adventures on our fifth winter season in the Bahamas and Beyond!
52 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Photos highlighting our fourth winter cruise.
7 Photos
Created 2 December 2017
Photos from our walkabout in Spanish Wells
16 Photos
Created 14 April 2016
Base of the Exumas Land and Sea Park
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2015
Our first stop in the Exumas Land and Sea Park
1 Photo
Created 30 December 2015
We anchored here for two days. There are white sand beaches almost the entire length of the cay.
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2015
We stopped at Chub Cay on our way from Bimini to Nassau while heading to the Exumas.
2 Photos
Created 20 December 2015
Our first retirement winter cruise to Abacos, Bahamas
29 Photos | 10 Sub-Albums
Created 28 November 2014