Celerity Sailing

Pungo River and Home

20 October 2013
Was blessed with an easy crossing of the Albemarle and anchored in the Little Alligator River after weaving my way through too-many-crab pots-to count at the entrance...so numerous and so close together that the crabs don't have a chance to escape! But I guess that's the goal.

Next morning discovered that Celerity had been invaded by millions (so it seemed) of fuzzybills, small mosquito-sized flying bugs that lined the underside of the biminis (canvas on frames over the cockpit to create shade and cover from the rain)...I'm told they are male mosquitoes. But unlike their female counterparts, fortunately they don't bite otherwise Abbie and I would have been eaten alive. While motoring down the Alligator River, spent some time trying to get rid of them...batting and swatting at them to shoo them away didn't help..they just moved to another part of the bimini. Frustrating! Bug spray took care of them but then the little carcasses littered the cockpit floor! Flushing the floor with buckets of water helped to wash most of them away....

Spent a quiet night anchored at Deep Point (nice anchorage with plenty of water) near the end of the Alligator River (no bugs!!)....my last anchorage before arriving at Jordan Creek! Ran Alligator-Pungo Canal without incident..Last year I was fortunate to spot a Bald Eagle while passing through the Canal!

I was both happy and sad as I exited the canal and entered the Pungo River for the first time in over 4 months. Was glad to have help with my problematic docking caused by the strong NE wind (thanks Greg, Sue and Bob) which kept blowing the bow around. Relief to be home, back in my slip, tied up with all the electricity I need (shore power!). No more concerns about dragging anchor, charging batteries, pumping up the dinghy tubes. Hooray!
Comments
Vessel Name: Celerity
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 382
Hailing Port: Jordan Creek
Crew: Melinda and Abigail
About: Canine first mate.

Who: Melinda and Abigail
Port: Jordan Creek