Sailing With Celilo

01 May 2015 | Kralendijk, Bonaire
10 January 2015 | Kralendijk, Bonaire
15 December 2014 | Kralendijk, Bonaire
07 December 2014 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
06 November 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
06 November 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
03 May 2014 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
02 April 2014 | Hermitage Beach, Antigua
27 March 2014 | Falmouth Harbor, Antigua
15 March 2014 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
07 March 2014 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
23 February 2014 | Portsmouth, Dominica
23 February 2014 | St. Pierre, Martinique
01 February 2014 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
25 December 2013 | Port Elizabeth, Admiralty Bay, Bequia
09 December 2013 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
02 November 2013 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
02 August 2013 | Portland, Oregon
28 June 2013 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
18 June 2013 | Clarke's Court Bay, Grenada

TRINIDAD FALL 2014

06 November 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
Well, we spent a couple of weeks dealing with the auto-pilot, trying to get someone to show up to work on it and waiting for a part to come from England. The part came and now we wait for the guys to decide to finish the job. So meanwhile: Roberta went on a tour she been wanting to do (Taste of Trini) while M took out the whole hydraulic component of the autopilot (and then waited for 2 days for someone to pick up) - this is a job that should have been done before we got back ?! We tried to put things to rights, but had to keep the laz and aft cabin clear for eventual autopilot re-install so all that stuff was all over the place. Roberta cleaned and provisioning and walked back and forth the 2-mile RT to Budget Marine and other boat parts or boatyard-type places to deliver or fetch things; we installed a new water pump; spent 4 hours re-installing the main, sail cover and all lines; and a myriad of other miscellaneous chores. We were very thankful for the marina pool and the A/C over a salon hatch! By 4pm we were cooked by the 85-90 degree heat and 85% humidity (feels like 102) and the pool was a great way to cool off, end the day, and get ready for the evening - whether having dinner on the boat or out socializing.

On Halloween we went to a "pan yard", which is a place that a steel drum "orchestra" practices and puts on performances. This yard was pretty nice, with a big building and covered area, because this group is sponsored by White Oak Rum, who teamed up with Angostura (think bitters) to sponsor a free concert, where they make their money on "bake and shark" (bake is sort of like Indian fried bread, but lighter and baked, and then they make it about the size of a large hamburger bun and fill it with whatever - usually shark), and corn soup (yummy - slices of kerneled cob in the soup!), and of course all kinds of rum drinks. We enjoyed the White Oak and LLB (lemon, lime and bitters soda) at two for one pricing.

The three groups that performed were really great. First we had the small lead-in invited steel drummers, then the large White Oak Starlift host steel drum orchestra, and then a row of about 15 African drums with traditional dancers. Turns out the limbo originated in Trinidad, is the national dance of Trini and Tobago, and WOW!!! What a performance! Then the host band again. It was very cool. Home to Celilo about 11...

... And up at 5:30 to go to the fresh market - the big outdoor market in Port of Spain. Came home with bags of tangerines, oranges, pears, papaya, "rock figs" (little sweet bananas), limes, pears, onions, eggplant, etc. Colorful and fun.

Wednesday eves many of us "yachties" meet up at the local watering hole for "swordfish night" where you get a full plate of either fish or pork ribs and a full plate of side dishes... One order shared feeds us both, and one order each feeds us for two more nights! Thursdays there is a potluck at our marina, and on Saturdays we have "bake and shark" back at the local watering hole. In between, three mornings each week there is a shopping van to various grocery stores and a big box store - different places each day, but same schedule and locations every week.

So we have been busy, tired every night, and looking forward to heading north maybe by early next week. We are out of the boatyard, but still sort of in boatyard mode, looking forward to actually cruising!
Comments
Vessel Name: Celilo
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42
Hailing Port: Portland, OR
Crew: Mike and Roberta Hilbruner
About: WHOOHOO!!!! We are back in the Caribbean - SEASON III begins!

Celilo and Crew

Who: Mike and Roberta Hilbruner
Port: Portland, OR