Bookmark and Share

C'est la Vie
C'est la Vie
Port: Everglades City, FL
View Complete Profile »

We have moved our web page
Sunday January 31st 2010

Hello All,

Just want to let you all know we have moved our C'est la Vie page to

Tuesday September 2nd 2008, Sunset Island, FL

Arriving at Indian Key in the evening of Sept. 1, we elected to stay on C'est la Vie and make landfall in the daylight. We were blessed with continued fresh breezes that kept the bugs at bay for our final night of the trip. Our approach and docking at Sunset Island was uneventful. It is good to be home, but there is much work ahead to repair our water system, flooded buildings, and docks.
We spent 10 weeks on the water and covered over 1500NM. Some days were glorious some were frustrating. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to share adventures with such an outstanding and supportive partner - see image included.

A brown Gulf of Mexico
Monday September 1st 2008, Gulf of Mexico

On August 29th, once we were convinced that Gustav was tracking away from FL and forecast to proceed into the Gulf we departed Coconut Grove heading south to the Keys. With 20+ knot northeast winds we flew down the ICW on the western side of the Keys. Late in the afternoon I checked the NOAA broadcast and learned that we were heading into a Tropical Storm Warning area. We abruptly dropped sails and slowed down to assess the updated forecasts. While attempting to figure out our next steps, two Morgan OI 41 passed us going south. We radioed them to query their plans for riding out the weather. They were BSA Sea Base boats and were returning to the Boy Scout Base on Lower Matacumbe to ride out the storms. With the promise of a safe anchorage we followed them south and west to Lower Matacumbe. The small anchorage just outside of the BSA Sea Base was as promised, a safe harbor in which ride out the fringes of Gustav's fury.
Tucked away in the harbor on two anchors we rode out 6 to 7 hours of 30+ knot winds on the night of August 30th. All in all we were lucky that Gustav stayed far enough to the west that we avoided any damaging winds and surge.
By Sept. 1 the Gulf waters were calm enough for us to make the leap from the Keys to Indian Key Pass. The Gulf was churned up and retained the color of weak coffee (see image above). Strong northeast winds allowed us to cover 75NM sailing close hauled and average 5.5 knots. For over half of the day we used our auto pilot. The image included is of Anne adjusting the wind vane on the auto pilot.

West Across the Gulf Stream
Tuesday August 26th 2008, Coconut Grove, FL

We successfully crossed the Gulf Stream between Cat Cay and Cape Florida. Due to squalls moving through the area the crossing was a bit more rough that our initial crossing. In the image included, Anne is at the helm while I work to reduce sail before the squall in the background catches C'est la Vie.
We departed Georgetown Exuma after lunch on the 20th and now are safely anchored off Coconut Grove, FL. The Bahamas feel a bit smaller knowing we covered in six days what it took us two months to cover going south. I guess it helps to have the trade winds at on the stern.
We now plan to spend a few days in Miami visiting friends, reprovisioning, and watching the tropical forecasts. We are yet unsure if we are going south to the Keys or north to the St Lucie. I think the track of Gustav and Hanna will make that decision for us.

Dodging Storms
Monday August 25th 2008, Bahamas

Things are beginning to get crowded with all these tropical depressions & Hurricanes. We have Gustav, Hanna, Ike, and a distant Josephine out here dancing around the Atlantic basin. We are now sprinting towards the United States. We arose in the darkness this morning to get an early start on the 75NM crossing from Chub Cay in the Berry Island to Cat Cay near Bimini. The majority of this distance is over the Bahamas Bank and averages less the 3 meters deep. The depth is no problem for C'est la Vie, but the shallow water makes the sea state more difficult to deal with in the frequent squalls.
The winds off the squalls generally assisted us in maintaining a daily average speed of 5.6 knots for a total distance of 81NM. This allowed us to drop the hook in Honeymoon Harbor before nightfall. Honeymoon Harbor lies on the cusp of the Gulf Stream. Tomorrow we will get another early start for our final leg back to the US.

Departing Nassau
Sunday August 24th 2008, Nassau Harbor

We spent the morning sprinting through the Atlantis' aquariums and made the 11:00 check out time with minutes to spare. Despite the steep dockage fee, $130 for one night, we would entertain the idea of another visit. We left many water slides and exhibits untouched and left wanting to experience more of Atlantis' attractions.
The image is the view we faced as we began to exit the Nassau Harbor westward. The storm was all bark and no bite. Our 41NM passage to Chub Cay went smoothly and we were on the hook by nightfall.

Sunday August 24th 2008, Atlantis Resort, Nassau

Another atypical view from the predator exhibit.

Sunday August 24th 2008, Atlantis Resort, Nassau

This image was captured in an exhibit featuring predatory species. Observers walk through a glass tunnel that affords some very interesting perspectives on the world.

Sunday August 24th 2008, Atlantis Resort

How this for a grouper close up?

Through the looking glass
Sunday August 24th 2008, Atlantis Resort, Nassau

This image is looking through the large window pictured in the last post.

Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs