C'est la Vie

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL
31 January 2010
02 September 2008 | Sunset Island, FL
01 September 2008 | Gulf of Mexico
26 August 2008 | Coconut Grove, FL
25 August 2008 | Bahamas
24 August 2008 | Nassau Harbor
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
22 August 2008 | Exumas
21 August 2008 | Exumas
20 August 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
20 August 2008 | Exumas
18 August 2008 | Stocking Island, Exumas
16 August 2008 | Elizabeth Harbor

130 NM in 26 hours...

01 May 2007 | N. Atlantic off FL east coast
Jeff
We made the leap from Miami to Ft. Pierce. While successful with the objective, the day had its frustrations. I really desired to hop in the Gulf Stream and ride its currents, 3.5 knots northward. Adding the Gulf Stream's push to the atmosphere's forecasted winds east at 10 knots we should be able to cover the distance, velocity made good (VMG) in boat speak, at incredible speeds. Indeed we did at a few times have a sustained VMG of over eight knots with some max speed over ground reaching 10.4 knots while surfing down waves. BUT... the coast of FL from Miami to Ft. Worth actually runs northeast. My simple mental image of the entire east coast of FL is one long line running north northwest - not true. This placed C'est la Vie running close hauled and forced to tack back offshore away from Ft. Pierce to sustain progress northward (sailboats cannot sail directly into the wind - C'est la Vie can realistically sail 50 degrees off the winds direction). .click here for map of FL coastline This slight miscalculation of the direction of the FL coast also applied to the Gulf Stream's direction. Thus the eastern wind was creating confused, read 5 foot unpredictable waves, seas in the northeastern current of The Stream. Running close hauled with the confused seas was unpleasant. Tacking back against the Gulf Stream's current was slow. This meant we spend most of our day on either long fast northeastern tacks up the coastline or short slow south eastern grinds back out into the stream. While fun sailing, the trip did not match my vision of jumping on the magic carpet ride and sailing a beam reach northward up the wondrously blue waters of the Gulf Stream all the while enjoying a VMG of over 8knots. Ahh... seems like life... so seldom do our plans match our reality.

And... around midnight, still striving to sail past Ft. Worth were the FL coast does indeed turn northward allowing us fall off the wind onto a comfortable and fast beam reach. The winds - forecast to increase and become SE - the winds just vanished. So began the 9 hour motor into Ft. Pierce.

Anne and I took up a rotation of two hour watches through the night. Neither of us really slept much. In my limited experience 24 hour passages are realistic with a crew of 3 to rotate 4 hour watches. Less the 3 crew and 24 hour passages become something to be endured not something to be enjoyed
Comments
Vessel Name: Cest la Vie
Vessel Make/Model: 1966 Charlie Morgan 34
Hailing Port: Everglades City, FL
About: Anne - thirtysomething culinary godess that won't admit to being a fine sailor. Jeff - thirtysomething jack of all trades that constantly reminds Anne she is a fine sailor. Carlie - nine year old Jack Russell that loves to watch the dolphins.
Extra: Currently our winters are spent working for the North Carlina Outward Bound School based on Indian Key Pass in Everglades City, FL. Our summers are spent in the Outer Banks of NC running the Outward Bound Schools sea kayak programs along the Cape Lookout National Seashore.

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL