C'est la Vie

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL
31 January 2010
02 September 2008 | Sunset Island, FL
01 September 2008 | Gulf of Mexico
26 August 2008 | Coconut Grove, FL
25 August 2008 | Bahamas
24 August 2008 | Nassau Harbor
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
22 August 2008 | Exumas
21 August 2008 | Exumas
20 August 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
20 August 2008 | Exumas
18 August 2008 | Stocking Island, Exumas
16 August 2008 | Elizabeth Harbor

Offshore to Winyah Bay, SC

31 August 2007 | Winyah Bay, SC
Jeff
The alarm went off at 04:00. Catching the outgoing tide from Southport through the Cape Fear Inlet gave us a great head start on our 81NM day to Winyah Bay. Dawn found us offshore motor sailing WSW under our main and genoa. The afternoon found us continuing to motor sail as we navigated a mosaic of small storm cells. The cells kept the winds shifting. We continually adapted our sail plan and heading in an effort hang onto a VMG of over 5 knots. At the day's end we calculated a daily average speed of 5.7 knots over 14.5 hours of travel, but that would be jumping ahead in the story...

Much like our last day offshore, Beaufort to Wrightsville, the winds build dramatically as the day began to wane. In accordance with our planning we arrived at the entrance to Winyah Bay Channel just after the predicted low tide. Unfortunately the tides were not in sync with the NOAA predictions. We arrived to find 18knot winds meeting head on a strong outgoing tide. The result was 3 to 4 foot spilling waves. We now were faced with the task of running 2NM downwind among the waves in the narrow channel. It was not a difficult decision to reduce sail. It was a difficult task to reduce sail.

Turning to place the wind on our bow is the only way to lower the sails in high winds. This maneuver causes the sails to flog violently, but reduces winds pressure on the cloth and centers the sails over the deck of the boat. Anne's skilled touch at the helm turned us 180 degrees placing the wind on our bow and aiming us back to sea. My role is to clip into our safety lines (see harness in image included) and venture foreword to wrestle the genoa down onto the deck. After five minutes of focused teamwork we had the genny contained on deck and me returning to the relative safety of the cockpit. The only casualty of the day... the flogging genoa caught our radar reflector mounted on a stay. Anne sighted the reflector drifting out on the tide shortly after we turned C'est la Vie back towards land. Another easy decision was made to wave it goodbye. We were not eager to turn back to windward in the rolling seas for a reflector overboard drill.

The rolling waves surfed us along for long stretches that required a full body workout on the helm to prevent accidental jibes of the mainsail. The 2NM run into the inlet seemed to stretch on an eternity as we fought the tides the entire distance. Calm waters of the bay were welcomed by a weary crew.

We dropped the anchor along the eastern shore of the bay near the Georgetown Lighthouse. The water depth allowed us to come within easy swimming distance of the shore. Carlie and I ended out day with a swim into the beach. We all plan to swim in and explore the lighthouse in the morning. And still the tide ebbs... what gives?
Comments
Vessel Name: Cest la Vie
Vessel Make/Model: 1966 Charlie Morgan 34
Hailing Port: Everglades City, FL
About: Anne - thirtysomething culinary godess that won't admit to being a fine sailor. Jeff - thirtysomething jack of all trades that constantly reminds Anne she is a fine sailor. Carlie - nine year old Jack Russell that loves to watch the dolphins.
Extra: Currently our winters are spent working for the North Carlina Outward Bound School based on Indian Key Pass in Everglades City, FL. Our summers are spent in the Outer Banks of NC running the Outward Bound Schools sea kayak programs along the Cape Lookout National Seashore.

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL